Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Defence hotel reservation service.

It’s not a routine requirement - but if seeking financial approval for an activity it can be required by the authoriser as part of the costs.

Remember that use of CHBS for travel is a mandatory requirement, with personal booking against capped rates being permitted ‘in exceptional circumstances’

Self authorisation is an option only available at specified levels

If the CHBS service was scrapped and only the only route was self booking via any source then a governance process would be brought back.

Its a bit of a red herring to pretend soldiers will be told to get 3 quotes for a hotel though isnt it?

The governance would be like governance for other expenses, its the RAO job.

As a side note, go back to the start of the thread and read the comments by other people, while I appreciate things change in 9 years, I think its further proof, things can be better.
With 9 years having passed you still want to use booking.com, but you no longer need to phone CHBS and can use the website to do the search and book yourself. Just like booking.com

With 9 years having passed you still want to use booking.com, but you no longer need to phone CHBS and can use the website to do the search and book yourself. Just like booking.com

Have peoples complaints changed in that time? My point being it wasnt just me.

The biggest complaint being that someone had booked one room for 3 people, and comparisons between prices.

And a few more complaints.

Which if you book yourself you cant avoid.

Its a bit of a red herring to pretend soldiers will be told to get 3 quotes for a hotel though isnt it?

You misquoted my post (#416) where I said I can't see us having to get 3 quotes but...if you remove the MOD service you have to replace the bits that are missing not just the front end that the shop floor sees.

The governance would be like governance for other expenses, its the RAO job.
The J1 department is already part of the overarching system. Now you're suggesting that they collate more information to pass upwards to the recipients that would have received it automatically. This wouldn't be difficult in a field unit that doesn't travel but horrific somewhere like DE&S or Defence Digital.

You misquoted my post (#416) where I said I can't see us having to get 3 quotes but...if you remove the MOD service you have to replace the bits that are missing not just the front end that the shop floor sees.

The J1 department is already part of the overarching system. Now you're suggesting that they collate more information to pass upwards to the recipients that would have received it automatically. This wouldn't be difficult in a field unit that doesn't travel but horrific somewhere like DE&S or Defence Digital.
You don't replace anything. You use a cap and tell people to get on with it. Like other businesses do.

Who monitors the other claims that these different units make?

You don't replace anything. You use a cap and tell people to get on with it. Like other businesses do.
How does MOD know the cap (who creates it?) is fair, offering the right hotels etc, individuals are going it alone now and the MOD CS job creation scheme as you called it is gone?
Who monitors the other claims that these different units make?
How do you think TLB budgets are set? Claims aren't the issue as they're policed pretty effectively. Overall spend is the thing that needs to be tracked and managed effectively.

How does MOD know the cap (who creates it?) is fair, offering the right hotels etc, individuals are going it alone now and the MOD CS job creation scheme as you called it is gone?

How do you think TLB budgets are set? Claims aren't the issue as they're policed pretty effectively. Overall spend is the thing that needs to be tracked and managed effectively.
How do you think other firms manage it?

So all other claims are managed well by the MOD but hotels are special. Of course they are.

How do you think other firms manage it?

So all other claims are managed well by the MOD but hotels are special. Of course they are.
I don't care how other firms manage it MOD uses CHBS. It's no different from using booking.com. Furthermore, other firms (confirmed on here) use a centralised travel booking service. You're basically dripping because some of the hotels you want to stay in aren't on CHBS (not a confirmed fact).

I don't care how other firms manage it MOD uses CHBS. It's no different from using booking.com. Furthermore, other firms (confirmed on here) use a centralised travel booking service. You're basically dripping because some of the hotels you want to stay in aren't on CHBS (not a confirmed fact).

You don't care that other firms manage, just that because a civvie firm does it for the MOD it has to stay that way? Not the brightest spark are you.

Also some civvie firms use a centralised booking companies others don't.

You are once again showing your resistance to change. Thus proven why the Army is so far behind civvie street in so many areas.

I'm pretty certain it was you suggesting that the CO pretends he can smell gas as an excuse to go in the blokes rooms. You soon backpedaled on here when you showed how weak your leadership not wanting to confront the blokes if they didn't obey orders.

You don't care that other firms manage, just that because a civvie firm does it for the MOD it has to stay that way? Not the brightest spark are you.

Do you think CHBS is run by the MOD or is a contracted out service? Who do you think should be running it, or are you suggesting that we go it alone completely, flights, hotels, trains etc?

Also some civvie firms use a centralised booking companies others don't.

?????????? so what is wrong with MOD contracting out a service as multiple civilian companies do?

You are once again showing your resistance to change. Thus proven why the Army is so far behind civvie street in so many areas.

Add some examples, that's a pretty random response.

I'm pretty certain it was you suggesting that the CO pretends he can smell gas as an excuse to go in the blokes rooms. You soon backpedaled on here when you showed how weak your leadership not wanting to confront the blokes if they didn't obey orders.
Wow, are we getting to the crux of the debate here, you've realised your assertion that getting everyone to book hotels themselves outside of the MOD provided system is bollocks?

And can you remind me what I'm not willing to confront the blokes about?

How does MOD know the cap (who creates it?) is fair, offering the right hotels etc,

The same way it knows the meal allowance and LOA are fair.

The same way it knows the meal allowance and LOA are fair.
Don't confuse him, he'll be demanding a civvie firm book restaurants for soldiers next as they clearly can't cope to do anything by themselves.

Do you think CHBS is run by the MOD or is a contracted out service? Who do you think should be running it, or are you suggesting that we go it alone completely, flights, hotels, trains etc?
I know you are slow, but my point is that the Army doesnt need anyone to book its hotels. Its not hard (for normal people, spastics may struggle)
?????????? so what is wrong with MOD contracting out a service as multiple civilian companies do?
Because its no longer fit for purpose, its an additional cost with reduced convience.

Add some examples, that's a pretty random response.
You mean like room inspections and coming up with some bullshit H&S to justfy going in the lads rooms? Thats sort of example?

Wow, are we getting to the crux of the debate here, you've realised your assertion that getting everyone to book hotels themselves outside of the MOD provided system is bollocks?

And can you remind me what I'm not willing to confront the blokes about?

Ive already booked hotels outside of the MOD, my sisters firm did after they stopped being MOD, people on here have said they did. Yet you cling to the past because thats all you have always done.
I bet in the 80s when they changed the way soldiers got hotels to a hotel booking service, you would have cried about that as well and come up with some shite excuses why it couldnt world.
You would be reluctant to confront them if they fucked up their hotels, you said so earlier, far easier to let a civvie company book them.

They are special enough for the Daily Mail etc to raise FOIs and publish headlines about Whitehall mandarins and Officers swanning about in hotels. (Despite the question asked not asking about Whitehall mandarins or Officers, just “How much is spent on hotels?” / “How many hotels were booked over £x?”

They are special enough for the Daily Mail etc to raise FOIs and publish headlines about Whitehall mandarins and Officers swanning about in hotels. (Despite the question asked not asking about Whitehall mandarins or Officers, just “How much is spent on hotels?” / “How many hotels were booked over £x?”
They should ask how much the FCO spend if they want an eyebrow raising answer.

They are special enough for the Daily Mail etc to raise FOIs and publish headlines about Whitehall mandarins and Officers swanning about in hotels.

We have been over this, firstly the MOD has a civvie firm dealing with hotels in case the Daily Mail runs a story? I think thats fairly much not true.
Secondly, as I said before it doesnt matter if the MOD could account for every last penny in every expense account that it has, the Daily Mail would still publish "Outrage as the MOD spends X amount"

Latest Threads