Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Defence hotel reservation service.

Your terrorist reason is probably very valid for a civvie firm. If the British Army are relying on a civvie booking company to tell it what area its soldiers are in then something is very wrong. ( not that it would be that accurate for the MOD anyway).
The point is more a speed of response that a not knowing thing.

The line manager will know where people are, but consolidated data allows better decisions at higher levels faster.

And Joint (not spelled ARMY) inc mod CS responses. I dont have to phone every unit that might have a recce in, say, Nebraska, just in case, I can print a list of people and then know if we have an issue, and it's scale.

Your terrorist reason is probably very valid for a civvie firm. If the British Army are relying on a civvie booking company to tell it what area its soldiers are in then something is very wrong. ( not that it would be that accurate for the MOD anyway).
I don’t know if the information would be used to check if there were people in an area when there has been an incident.

Note that the MoD and Army consists of more than soldiers, sailors and airmen.
A unit or branch would be expected to generally know where it’s people are, but in the centre the question would have to be asked.
When you went anywhere did you update your location on JPA?

A unit or branch would be expected to generally know where it’s people are, but in the centre the question would have to be asked.

Could you tell that to the family of the LCpl that was found in Catterick last Christmas.

Sh1t happens and people forget.

That is why there was a 2 pronged fork on knowing peoples exact locations.

Pl Sgts & CSM's.

Perhaps technology has led to skills fade at the very basic levels.

I don’t know if the information would be used to check if there were people in an area when there has been an incident.

Note that the MoD and Army consists of more than soldiers, sailors and airmen.
I never updated JPA, clerks do some sort of track and trace.

I never updated JPA, clerks do some sort of track and trace.
Which means your clerks can only do a track and trace if you have relocated somewhere, such as posted to another unit or formally posted over to a course.

If you’re travelling and staying away in a hotel that you booked yourself on booking.com then the system has no idea until you put in your claim. Only your line management & anyone you told knows where you are
If you’ve booked yourself via CHBS then that system knows where you are
The same goes for civilians, unless we change location as part of a new job or update our main office address the system doesn’t know where we are.
During Covid Ive marked on my outlook calendar that I’m WFH, unless I’m going in office for a specific reason and have registered that as my status on a Covid register. My line manager knows where I am

@olafthered suggested one of the ways a company uses their hotel booking service to check if they have anyone in a location when there is an incident.
Members of your unit may know where you are but the Army and the MoD would have to rely on a message down the chain of command to find out if individuals are potentially affected
CHBS information can pick that up almost immediately (though a message would still need to flow for anyone else not in the system)

Could you tell that to the family of the LCpl that was found in Catterick last Christmas.

That’s a very sad case, we don’t know the full circumstances but he appeared to have not been noticed due to being in between units over a leave period

Sh1t happens and people forget.

That is why there was a 2 pronged fork on knowing peoples exact locations.

Pl Sgts & CSM's.

Perhaps technology has led to skills fade at the very basic levels.
The unit would have an idea where their people are, but in the context an individual away in a hotel wouldn’t have their location on record available to the Army as a whole, but CHBS information would include details of anyone booked into a particular area

Last edited:

Buddy!

War Hero
If only the army had a process to give people orders and discipline them if they failed to carry them out.

Indeed. The problem is compounded by the blind leading the blind though in my experience... In 2020 you would have thought we would have realised that it's all well and good assessing LCpl and above on practical leadership skills on the ground, but without tangible IT and administrative skills for the >80% of time not on exercise or ops, are they really much of a leader? Some chippy PowerPoints on a PNCO cadre and lip service CLM lessons do not cut the mustard at this point in time.

Indeed. The problem is compounded by the blind leading the blind though in my experience... In 2020 you would have thought we would have realised that it's all well and good assessing LCpl and above on practical leadership skills on the ground, but without tangible IT and administrative skills for the >80% of time not on exercise or ops, are they really much of a leader? Some chippy PowerPoints on a PNCO cadre and lip service CLM lessons do not cut the mustard at this point in time.
You could say that for the majority of the MOD who are still emailing spreadsheets as attachments. Why did we invest in Sharepoint again?

You could say that for the majority of the MOD who are still emailing spreadsheets as attachments. Why did we invest in Sharepoint again?
Or regulars who only send SharePoint links to reservists on civ net emails, or defence contractors on the rli

Which means your clerks can only do a track and trace if you have relocated somewhere, such as posted to another unit or formally posted over to a course.

If you’re travelling and staying away in a hotel that you booked yourself on booking.com then the system has no idea until you put in your claim. Only your line management & anyone you told knows where you are
If you’ve booked yourself via CHBS then that system knows where you are
The same goes for civilians, unless we change location as part of a new job or update our main office address the system doesn’t know where we are.
During Covid Ive marked on my outlook calendar that I’m WFH, unless I’m going in office for a specific reason and have registered that as my status on a Covid register. My line manager knows where I am

@olafthered suggested one of the ways a company uses their hotel booking service to check if they have anyone in a location when there is an incident.
Members of your unit may know where you are but the Army and the MoD would have to rely on a message down the chain of command to find out if individuals are potentially affected
CHBS information can pick that up almost immediately (though a message would still need to flow for anyone else not in the system)

Back on on a laptop so I can reply better.

If Im staying in a hotel, there would be a good chance the clerks would track me.

All CHBS can do is tell you if someone has booked a hotel, it cant tell you if someone is on exercise and not using a hotel, it cant tell if you are based within driving distance and have gone to a location (and not needed the hotel), it cant say if you have your own arrangements (ie stay with friend/family instead of a hotel) it cant tell you if you are location miles from your hotel (Especially as its choice is limited) and it cant tell if you have had to make your own booking (for whatever reason). So it is highly doubtful if the MOD are relying on a hotel booking company to say where its personnel are in an emergency. If it is, someone in the MOD needs a kick in the ****.

Back on on a laptop so I can reply better.

If Im staying in a hotel, there would be a good chance the clerks would track me.

All CHBS can do is tell you if someone has booked a hotel, it cant tell you if someone is on exercise and not using a hotel, it cant tell if you are based within driving distance and have gone to a location (and not needed the hotel), it cant say if you have your own arrangements (ie stay with friend/family instead of a hotel) it cant tell you if you are location miles from your hotel (Especially as its choice is limited) and it cant tell if you have had to make your own booking (for whatever reason). So it is highly doubtful if the MOD are relying on a hotel booking company to say where its personnel are in an emergency. If it is, someone in the MOD needs a kick in the ****.
It’s not relying on a company to track people, but having a system that records a location where people are going provides a source of that information.

What about all the people that work in travel offices that are no longer being used because we're going it alone?

Why would anyone (apart from them) care? Its not a job creation scheme.

It’s not relying on a company to track people, but having a system that records a location where people are going provides a source of that information.

Which for the reasons I listed would not be any good in an emergency. So like I said its doubtful the MOD use it for that reason.

Yes, and currently showing VFM is outsourced to the provider of CHBS. I couldn't see us providing 3 quotes for each stay but something would happen that would be a burden to the individual.

The overall cost to travel would be cheaper as you've sacked a load of people, and the burden would be on the individual to find the cheapest accommodation possible to show VFM.

Did you spend your time walking round with your eyes shut? What do you think Interserve/Amey/Capita/Sodexo do? They have to demonstrate that we are getting VFM as part of the contract. If you get any major works done via DIO the prime (IDL?) has to show VFM then DIO has to show that the prime has shown VFM.
As for blaming me for a lack of modernisation, I'm all for evolutionary change, be having been part of the clean up party for the ISS revolutionary change a few years ago I have a decent appreciation that MOD is a complex beast and it would take a lot of decent people in the right places to do anything big.

Why would you provide three quotes? What dream world do you live in?
You get a ceiling (unless you can justify otherwise) like just about every other expense in the Army.
There is no need to make up any scare stories about how hard it will be to book your own hotel.

All those civvie companies have to do is provide a cheap service, well, you will be hard pressed to find one cheaper than free which is what will happen if you book accommodation yourself.
Civvie companies will always justify their existence, if they didnt they wouldnt make any money. Oddly enough most of them provide a shit service but the MOD/treasury still puts up with them.

The MOD is a complex beast because people like you dont like change, if the MOD was a private company with competition it would have been bankrupted years ago. Luckily the taxpayer can take it in the shorts so it doesnt matter if it remains decades in the past.

Why would you provide three quotes? What dream world do you live in?
You get a ceiling (unless you can justify otherwise) like just about every other expense in the Army.
There is no need to make up any scare stories about how hard it will be to book your own hotel.
3 quotes is the general requirement for local purchase, though the regulation requirements are for ‘market testing’.
If you’re planning an activity with a cost and need authority then you will be asked for quotes or estimates. There’s a long tradition in the MoD of finding 3 selective quotes, with the individuals preferred option and two more expensive options

If you are able to self authorise and book how you wish then your only restriction is the cap. If you self authorise and use CHBS then you don’t have a formal cap. There are regional caps for CHbS based on the going rates by area.
When using CHBS you should choose the cheapest suitable hotel from those available, this is part of the governance of the process which minimises expense rather than people taking their preferred most expensive option within cap. Choose the second cheapest on CHBS and you need to show your reason which comes out in the MI

All those civvie companies have to do is provide a cheap service, well, you will be hard pressed to find one cheaper than free which is what will happen if you book accommodation yourself.
Free is also what happens when you book yourself with the CHBS

CHBS take a cut from the hotel, just like Booking.com

Civvie companies will always justify their existence, if they didnt they wouldnt make any money. Oddly enough most of them provide a shit service but the MOD/treasury still puts up with them.

The MOD is a complex beast because people like you dont like change, if the MOD was a private company with competition it would have been bankrupted years ago. Luckily the taxpayer can take it in the shorts so it doesnt matter if it remains decades in the past.

3 quotes is the general requirement for local purchase, though the regulation requirements are for ‘market testing’.
If you’re planning an activity with a cost and need authority then you will be asked for quotes or estimates. There’s a long tradition in the MoD of finding 3 selective quotes, with the individuals preferred option and two more expensive options

If you are able to self authorise and book how you wish then your only restriction is the cap. If you self authorise and use CHBS then you don’t have a formal cap. There are regional caps for CHbS based on the going rates by area.
When using CHBS you should choose the cheapest suitable hotel from those available, this is part of the governance of the process which minimises expense rather than people taking their preferred most expensive option within cap. Choose the second cheapest on CHBS and you need to show your reason which comes out in the MI

Free is also what happens when you book yourself with the CHBS

CHBS take a cut from the hotel, just like Booking.com

3 quotes for a hotels in not a general requirement. Do soldiers get three quotes for their meals when eating out? Do they get 3 quotes for CEA?
So lets not pretend anyone has to present 3 quotes for a hotel room.

Like I said it is extremely unlikely you will hit a cap, but if it doesnt happen it wouldnt be hard to ask permission before.

Ill be honest with you, when I first was allowed to book my own hotel, I did look for the more expensive, I stopped as did most other people, not for any moral reasons but because I/we wanted a decent hotel near our location. The novelty soon wore off that the hotel had a swimming pool, gym, etc, because I wasnt on holiday so I didnt have time to use them. My main priority was that it was close to where I needed to be.

As a side note, go back to the start of the thread and read the comments by other people, while I appreciate things change in 9 years, I think its further proof, things can be better.

3 quotes for a hotels in not a general requirement. Do soldiers get three quotes for their meals when eating out? Do they get 3 quotes for CEA?
So lets not pretend anyone has to present 3 quotes for a hotel room.
It’s not a routine requirement - but if seeking financial approval for an activity it can be required by the authoriser as part of the costs.

Remember that use of CHBS for travel is a mandatory requirement, with personal booking against capped rates being permitted ‘in exceptional circumstances’

Self authorisation is an option only available at specified levels

If the CHBS service was scrapped and only the only route was self booking via any source then a governance process would be brought back.

Latest Threads