Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Defence hotel reservation service.

I don’t know the history but you probably had a load of adminers (correctly but probably advised by ex-adminers) doing the user requirements but no one shaping the system requirements. I genuinely don’t think there’s a lot of arrogance unless speshul people are involved.
Working "with" the MOD on some fairly large equipment contracts I would tend to disagree - an attitude which is slowly changing but still very much the case in most of the organisation is an attitude of we don't want standard we are different.

Which brings me straight back to here

LExcept you didn't - Did you.
Or we wouldn't be having this convo.
Where are you going with this? I’d been in the Army for 18 months and most of that was spent pissed. We couldn’t get from Leccy to Stanstead in time for the flight. Who knew?

Working "with" the MOD on some fairly large equipment contracts I would tend to disagree - an attitude which is slowly changing but still very much the case in most of the organisation is an attitude of we don't want standard we are different.
Fair one, but I wouldn't want to be the one responsible for changing the way MOD does its business off the back of a procurement. Got an example?

Where are you going with this? I’d been in the Army for 18 months and most of that was spent pissed. We couldn’t get from Leccy to Stanstead in time for the flight. Who knew?

You should have, as you previously claimed

We took notes, planned in advance,

Clearly you didn't take notes and planned in advance.

I'm going right back to here

How did we manage to complete such complex and taxing Command Tasks in the days before Mobile phones, work phones, IT, Internet and Apps ?

Technology might be wonderful, but it is certainly dumbing down large segments of society by wiping out their ability to think for themselves and solve problems without someone holding their hands.

You should have, as you previously claimed
Clearly you didn't take notes and planned in advance.
Firstly I was a sprog and my concerns we solely getting to work on time and my next pint.
One of the things you couldn’t do back then was react as well to change. No amount of note taking and planning would have negated the fact that we couldn’t hit the flight in time.

Firstly I was a sprog and my concerns we solely getting to work on time and my next pint.

That's absolutely brilliant, but irrelevant

Your quote

We took notes, planned in advance,

Clearly you didn't. You only concerns were getting to work on time and your next pint.

If you had planned in advance:

1. You would have identified an issue of course finish time and flight time.

2. That the infrastructure in place ( German / Dutch trains ), the Hull - Rotterdam ferry would be the best route( even as a foot passenger ) to get to Beverley. You could even drink pints to your hearts content on the ferry.

That's absolutely brilliant, but irrelevant

Your quote
Clearly you didn't. You only concerns were getting to work on time and your next pint.

If you had planned in advance:

1. You would have identified an issue of course finish time and flight time.

2. That the infrastructure in place ( German / Dutch trains ), the Hull - Rotterdam ferry would be the best route( even as a foot passenger ) to get to Beverley. You could even drink pints to your hearts content on the ferry.
Just to put this to bed, as your being tedious.
1. The only thing fixed was the return flight. We didn’t know when the end of the course was so couldn’t have known that we couldn’t get to the airhead by train (I think) in time.
2. You don’t know when the end of the course is because you don’t know when the tests are going to be. My first was pushed back to a Saturday as there were too many failures from the previous week.
3. The others got their claims through as their OCs weren’t knobs, in my humble opinion.

1. The only thing fixed was the return flight. We didn’t know when the end of the course was

Right :rolleyes: :rolleyes: How did you manage to have a return flight when the end of course was not known ?

2. You don’t know when the end of the course is because you don’t know when the tests are going to be.

How bizarre. Every single course I ever did across 22 years had a start date and an end date. Everyone of those of those courses contained tests of some description.

I will even go as far as saying that for some of those courses, the CJI's contained a detailed course programme.

Judging by the crap you have just posted above, I am beginning to doubt that you have ever been on a course.

Damn, caught out, you’re completely correct I’ve never been on a course my entire military career. Consign next to the Mitty bin etc.

I'll leave that for others to decide.

Whatever your '' entire military career '' consisted of, courses was clearly not a big part of it. Either as a course attendee or as an JNCO / SNCO / OFFR in charge of men attending courses.

Fair one, but I wouldn't want to be the one responsible for changing the way MOD does its business off the back of a procurement. Got an example?
I'm not sure which you want an example of so how about an example for both:

Bowman.

Theory: Procurement of a standard digital military spec radio, with minor changes to make it meet UK security and crypto standards.

Actaullity: a nearly completely custom build due to MOD requirements creep.

Change of way we conduct business: scrap batco as it is encrypted, even though not all units can hold crypto...

Bowman.

Theory: Procurement of a standard digital military spec radio, with minor changes to make it meet UK security and crypto standards.

Change of way we conduct business: scrap batco as it is encrypted, even though not all units can hold crypto...
You cant have change, it scares Kroneit.

You cant have change, it scares Kroneit.
I'm avoiding the handbagging if I can.

I've put some reasons why my civ company uses a central booking scheme up thread, I wonder if MOD gets the same management data? I would assume so.

I'm avoiding the handbagging if I can.

I've put some reasons why my civ company uses a central booking scheme up thread, I wonder if MOD gets the same management data? I would assume so.

Your terrorist reason is probably very valid for a civvie firm. If the British Army are relying on a civvie booking company to tell it what area its soldiers are in then something is very wrong. ( not that it would be that accurate for the MOD anyway).

Bowman.

Ah Bowman, I fear MORPHEUS will be a similar Affair. Wasn’t BATCO handled like crypto anyway so a lot of process was in place anyway (I was very new when this happened)?

Ah Bowman, I fear MORPHEUS will be a similar Affair. Wasn’t BATCO handled like crypto anyway so a lot of process was in place anyway (I was very new when this happened)?
Not really, batco had lower storage requirements at unit level as much more limited impact if lost, and training editions. Crypto has no "training version"