Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Defence hotel reservation service.

And you're suggesting that 250000 people manage their own travel and ignore treasury requirements. Not too sure what I'm lying about?
I know you are a spastic, But A, I didn't say people should manage their own travel and B, 250000 or 200000 depending on who to believe do not use the service. In fact the majority of soldiers never will.

I know you are a spastic, But A, I didn't say people should manage their own travel
Post #378 covers this.
and B, 250000 or 200000 depending on who to believe do not use the service. In fact the majority of soldiers never will.
The number isn't important. MOD has a duty to ensure that the travel service provided works, and it does. As far as I am aware, everyone that needs to travel has access to some sort of service either themselves via CHBS or a travel office function.

Post #378 covers this.

The number isn't important. MOD has a duty to ensure that the travel service provided works, and it does. As far as I am aware, everyone that needs to travel has access to some sort of service either themselves via CHBS or a travel office function.

Not many people and certainly not me, spoke about travel. Can you tell the difference between travel and hotels?

Not many people and certainly not me, spoke about travel. Can you tell the difference between travel and hotels?
I must have missed that, so you're proposing a centralised transportation booking service with full governance and a complete go it alone approach for hotel booking? You silly bugger, apart from the cost to transition, all the hidden costs, pissed off Treasury, MoD CS out of a job, you're making booking a trip more complicated, and you will definitely be paying upfront yourself.

I must have missed that, so you're proposing a centralised transportation booking service with full governance and a complete go it alone approach for hotel booking? You silly bugger, apart from the cost to transition, all the hidden costs, pissed off Treasury, MoD CS out of a job, you're making booking a trip more complicated, and you will definitely be paying upfront yourself.

You really do like embarrassing yourself dont you?
What the "hidden costs" I'm sure the treasury would be more than happy to have a wide range of hotels (and so cheaper) on offer
I could give a **** about MOD CS, are you trying to say the MOD just has pointless tasks so they can have a job.
Only spastics would find it more complicated. Normal people will manage just find.
As the hotel costs are already upfront, its not exactly a hardship is it?

You really do like embarrassing yourself dont you?
What the "hidden costs" I'm sure the treasury would be more than happy to have a wide range of hotels (and so cheaper) on offer
I could give a **** about MOD CS, are you trying to say the MOD just has pointless tasks so they can have a job.
Only spastics would find it more complicated. Normal people will manage just find.
As the hotel costs are already upfront, its not exactly a hardship is it?
Upfront you’re moving into LVP territory. As you’re spending public money you’re going to need to show value for money, expect the Cap rate to drop because as you said, your can always find it cheaper on google. Behind the scenes government/treasury information requirements will still need to be fulfilled. The days of copy paste from MS Excel spreadsheets has probably gone so we’d need to invest in a new information system that the end user would have to enter information into about their journey. Or...we could just keep going as we are and stipulate a more user friendly application when the next contract is written.

Upfront you’re moving into LVP territory. As you’re spending public money you’re going to need to show value for money, expect the Cap rate to drop because as you said, your can always find it cheaper on google. Behind the scenes government/treasury information requirements will still need to be fulfilled. The days of copy paste from MS Excel spreadsheets has probably gone so we’d need to invest in a new information system that the end user would have to enter information into about their journey. Or...we could just keep going as we are and stipulate a more user friendly application when the next contract is written.
Perhaps tie it into JPA for claims processing... nah, that'd be to easy!

You mean like all expenses are with public money?

Nice scare story about finding cheaper. So to clarify you now say it could be cheaper but that doesn't matter.
"Behind the scenes" is usually just waffle for keeping things the way they are. The treasury is quite happy with all the other expenses that the army/MOD has without the need of an agency to oversee them.
The Army will never modernise with people like you around.

That would be the perfect solution but you’d still be stuck for up to date MI. Don’t forget @stacker1 one wants MOD to pay up front. I think MOD would be keen to understand how much money they had in hotel booking at any particular time.
Actually I didn't say that ( that's you being a buffoon again) I pointed out how stupid it is that the CHBS will book your travel and pay for it but will book your hotel and leave you to pay for it.

That would be the perfect solution but you’d still be stuck for up to date MI. Don’t forget @stacker1 one wants MOD to pay up front. I think MOD would be keen to understand how much money they had in hotel booking at any particular time.
I wasn't suggesting scrapping the MI data, but complementing. See how my firm does it up thread...

In getting rid of a centralised hotel booking service provided by a contractors software and a Helpdesk operated by contractors you will either be creating Civil Service jobs or putting service personnel behind desks,, and requiring MoD to produce custom software or to purchase software from a contractor

In getting rid of a centralised hotel booking service provided by a contractors software and a Helpdesk operated by contractors you will either be creating Civil Service jobs or putting service personnel behind desks,, and requiring MoD to produce custom software or to purchase software from a contractor

I didn't say it would cost MOD CS a job, Kroneit did.
If you get rid of a centralised hotel booking service and you book yourself, there is no need to use anyone else. (apart from Kroneit who would struggle).

I wasn't suggesting scrapping the MI data, but complementing. See how my firm does it up thread...
Sorry, I think you're misunderstanding me. What your company does is just a slicker/modern version of the MOD process. Unfortunately JPA is exceptionally clunky, and difficult to implement changes on, especially integration with other systems, worse still ones on the internet. A devil of our own making so to speak.

I didn't say it would cost MOD CS a job, Kroneit did.
If you get rid of a centralised hotel booking service and you book yourself, there is no need to use anyone else. (apart from Kroneit who would struggle).
What about all the people that work in travel offices that are no longer being used because we're going it alone?

You mean like all expenses are with public money?
Yes, and currently showing VFM is outsourced to the provider of CHBS. I couldn't see us providing 3 quotes for each stay but something would happen that would be a burden to the individual.

Nice scare story about finding cheaper. So to clarify you now say it could be cheaper but that doesn't matter.
The overall cost to travel would be cheaper as you've sacked a load of people, and the burden would be on the individual to find the cheapest accommodation possible to show VFM.

"Behind the scenes" is usually just waffle for keeping things the way they are. The treasury is quite happy with all the other expenses that the army/MOD has without the need of an agency to oversee them.
The Army will never modernise with people like you around.
Did you spend your time walking round with your eyes shut? What do you think Interserve/Amey/Capita/Sodexo do? They have to demonstrate that we are getting VFM as part of the contract. If you get any major works done via DIO the prime (IDL?) has to show VFM then DIO has to show that the prime has shown VFM.
As for blaming me for a lack of modernisation, I'm all for evolutionary change, be having been part of the clean up party for the ISS revolutionary change a few years ago I have a decent appreciation that MOD is a complex beast and it would take a lot of decent people in the right places to do anything big.

Sorry, I think you're misunderstanding me. What your company does is just a slicker/modern version of the MOD process. Unfortunately JPA is exceptionally clunky, and difficult to implement changes on, especially integration with other systems, worse still ones on the internet. A devil of our own making so to speak.
JPA is a very bad implementation of an Oracle system. All our finances are done through an Oracle system. The expenses system ties into it.

Yet another - we are mod we want custom, rather than give us your standard product with custom settings.

Yet another - we are mod we want custom, rather than give us your standard product with custom settings.
I don’t know the history but you probably had a load of adminers (correctly but probably advised by ex-adminers) doing the user requirements but no one shaping the system requirements. I genuinely don’t think there’s a lot of arrogance unless speshul people are involved.

I've got myself to the middle of the Indian Ocean using CHBS, and bounced around Europe and the Far East too.

My own example would have been needing to book a flight to the Far East when in Gibraltar when both my works phone and personal phone where not usable.

How did we manage to complete such complex and taxing Command Tasks in the days before Mobile phones, work phones, IT, Internet and Apps ?

Technology might be wonderful, but it is certainly dumbing down large segments of society by wiping out their ability to think for themselves and solve problems without someone holding their hands.

How did we manage to complete such complex and taxing Command Tasks in the days before Mobile phones, work phones, IT, Internet and Apps ?

Technology might be wonderful, but it is certainly dumbing down large segments of society by wiping out their ability to think for themselves and solve problems without someone holding their hands.
We took notes, planned in advance, were far less reactionary, and probably did less but better. The good thing now is there is an audit trail so never again will my OC expect me to sleep in a hire car on my return to Germany from Leconfield as opposed to pay for the B&B we overnighted in.

Latest Threads