Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Defence hotel reservation service.

Who are these people who are expected to travel but are IT illiterate? Who works in an environment which doesn’t have actually access to IT?
Anyone required to attend a course outside of the local area, doesn't narrow it down much. Submarines, ships, aircraft (think aviation engineers travelling abroad with an aircraft). My own example would have been needing to book a flight to the Far East when in Gibraltar when both my works phone and personal phone where not usable.
The point is that we have a working system that has minimal burden to the MOD for its use. Stuff booking a battlefield study, arriving at the airhead to find half of those who are coming are booking onto later flights, different hotels or not booked at all, especially if you have a duty of care. Oh and now I've got to AGAI a load of people on my return when we could have given it all to the travel clerk to do.

Anyone required to attend a course outside of the local area, doesn't narrow it down much. Submarines, ships, aircraft (think aviation engineers travelling abroad with an aircraft). My own example would have been needing to book a flight to the Far East when in Gibraltar when both my works phone and personal phone where not usable.
The point is that we have a working system that has minimal burden to the MOD for its use. Stuff booking a battlefield study, arriving at the airhead to find half of those who are coming are booking onto later flights, different hotels or not booked at all, especially if you have a duty of care. Oh and now I've got to AGAI a load of people on my return when we could have given it all to the travel clerk to do.

if they don’t have sufficient access to book a hotel, how do they claim it back on JPA. Are all those people who travel also IT illiterate?

Who said anyone should bin centralised traveling? Why do you continue to lie? Is it because you are a spastic who can't cope?
Though if the CHBS is binned as a centralised booking contractor how would centralised booking take place?

The CHBS contractor provide and maintain the software, provide the 24 hour telephone service and provide the ‘complex’ bookings of large groups, multiple UINs and handle the step of paying for air and rail tickets with the MoDs GPCs.
Bring that back in house and we need a central team, have to decide on whether to give a 24 hour service in shifts and have to pay the salaries to do so.
The team will require software to do so - they could use booking.com etc, but then you do need to give enough notice for someone to make your booking for you. You could provide access to the software to users of the service and they would self book.

Nice to have more jobs for Civil Servants in DBS again, or we could contract that admin to Sodexo etc and pay them to operate booking.com for us

Though if the CHBS is binned as a centralised booking contractor how would centralised booking take place?

The CHBS contractor provide and maintain the software, provide the 24 hour telephone service and provide the ‘complex’ bookings of large groups, multiple UINs and handle the step of paying for air and rail tickets with the MoDs GPCs.
Bring that back in house and we need a central team, have to decide on whether to give a 24 hour service in shifts and have to pay the salaries to do so.
The team will require software to do so - they could use booking.com etc, but then you do need to give enough notice for someone to make your booking for you. You could provide access to the software to users of the service and they would self book.

Nice to have more jobs for Civil Servants in DBS again, or we could contract that admin to Sodexo etc and pay them to operate booking.com for us
It can be like other firms and book travel only if you can't do it by yourself.
If 18 year civvie lads can book hotels for stag parties online, im sure that roughty toughty soldiers can manage it as well.

It can be like other firms and book travel only if you can't do it by yourself.
That’s what CHBS do

You do realise that using the CHBS website app as directed that the user is booking them self into a hotel?
The CHBS staff aren’t sat on the other side making bookings afterwards

That’s what CHBS do

You do realise that using the CHBS website app as directed that the user is booking them self into a hotel?
The CHBS staff aren’t sat on the other side making bookings afterwards

Error yes, but they give you a limited choice

I genuinely think he’s struggling with the concept.
Says the IT spastic who think he should bother making soldiers do something because its a bit of a hassle.

Says the IT spastic who think he should bother making soldiers do something because its a bit of a hassle.
It's not "making soldiers do something that's a bit of hassle" is it. What you're saying is "completely change the way 250000 MOD employees manage travel". There's a difference.

.... selected in line with the criteria that their customer the MoD has told them

You keep repeating that as if its the only criteria. There is also the fact that it just doesn't have lots of hotels on its books.

It's not "making soldiers do something that's a bit of hassle" is it. What you're saying is "completely change the way 250000 MOD employees manage travel". There's a difference.

Except 250000 mod employee s don't use it, what is it with you and your lying?

Things changes all the time, but we'll done for falling back to the old "we have always done it that way so we all will".

A little under 200,000 counting MoD Civil Service (FTE) and trained Regulars.
More when adding on Reserves etc and treating part timers as individuals rather than a proportion of Full Timers.
Not everyone travels, but they are the potential users.

My civ company use a similar company, but not HRG for this functionality.

The reasons we pay them?

1) governance, not in terms of spend but safety - if everyone books own travel via booking.com etc. and a terrorist or similar incident takes place we can't pull up a list of who is in that area and ring them. E.g. Arab spring we had a sales team in Egypt, we knew which city they where in and managed to ring them, sort a charter flight home with some other companies in our industry and extract them fairly quickly. If we book separately that doesn't work.

This didn't need UK HQ to speak to every line manager in a larger company to find out, it was an automated report run by group HQ and then the list was split up so people had half a dozen or so to contact. Allowing a 24/7 response without relying on people leaving phones on.

2) security and health risk monitoring. We are not the only client the external firm has. They monitor the news from all the destinations and inform all clients of upcoming or I'm going issues affecting travel. This allows additional checks on travel to certain areas or a decision to cancel/extract to be taken. It also feeds advisories in the online tool for things like measles outbreaks in case travellers are vulnerable.

They split the cost (plus profit) accord several businesses making it cheaper than just cost to each of them.

3) approval and expenses. The travel booking system in integrated to our travel approval system and expenses system. I select where and when I am travelling pick the hotel and mode (train, plane, car) and timing. Holding booking is made for 24 hrs. My boss or delegate approves including max spend cap (calculated automatically to include food etc). This is then integrated to the expenses system so as I get receipts (company card but my one I pay for from my account) I can photograph them on the app, fill in the details needed to link to expense and tax category, and save. The system checks against the regional caps (and variants like airport uplift) and if inside pre approved value the expenses are paid, no more authority needed - it has been gained at pre approval. If outside the caps imposed it goes for approval by my line manager, or if a long way out, my 2 up.

I know number 3 doesn't apply to the MOD system, far too easy, but I reckon numbers 1 and 2 are fairly reasonable.

Finally on limited choice, yes there are preferences, but if none are suitable you can select "self booked alternative" input the details, if catered or self catering and it adds it all up and gets approval in the same way, I did this when hotels near my second office where full due to a week long event and booked a nice holiday cottage for the week.

A little under 200,000 counting MoD Civil Service (FTE) and trained Regulars.
More when adding on Reserves etc and treating part timers as individuals rather than a proportion of Full Timers.
Not everyone travels, but they are the potential users.

Again, lots of things have the "potential" it doesn't mean everyone is ever going to use it.

Latest Threads