Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Defence hotel reservation service.

Why is it everyone I know who has used both systems, civvie and military, prefer booking the hotel themselves? Coincidence?
Personal opinion, countered by opinions on this forum. Speak to the guys in my last job and they would have a similar opinion to mine.
I'm pretty certain the army has been using one form or another of centralised booking since the early 90s at least. Well done for looking up bookings origins, yet again you've completely blown my arguments out of the water.
FOC
You also don't seem to see any problem with the CHBS paying for travel directly but the individual still pays for the hotel upfront. Not exactly joined up is it?
We'll probably never know but the frequency of hotel stays is significantly more than that of air travel. Meaning that MoD could rack up a lot of needless cost quite rapidly. At least this way the onus is on the individual to cancel the room or face paying for it as opposed to MOD covering it ie it is in the individuals interest to cancel.
Also flights are expensive. I couldn't have covered some of the short notice ones, and my colleagues that were in and out of the Middle/Far East on business class certainly weren't going to cover the cost.
Does it work...yes, could it be better...probably.

Why is it everyone I know who has used both systems, civvie and military, prefer booking the hotel themselves? Coincidence?
And I as a user of CHBS prefer CHBS, having used CHBS MI I also prefer CHBS
Note - In the CHBS period I have always booked hotels myself.

I'm pretty certain the army has been using one form or another of centralised booking since the early 90s at least. Well done for looking up bookings origins, did 99% have the internet back then? Like a lot of other things in the Army it probably had a point once, but the world moves on.

You also don't seem to see any problem with the CHBS paying for travel directly but the individual still pays for the hotel upfront. Not exactly joined up is it?
No, I don’t have a problem with paying for hotels and claiming back. I have on occasion used the option of subsistence in advance, (for example when spending a full week in central London)
I’d have no problem paying for rail tickets but wouldn’t have liked paying for all my business flights up front

I wouldn’t remove hotels from the CHBS service just because 2 parts of the service are paid by MoD and 1 is self paid

The world has moved on, but there remain corporate customers for travel management services, not just the MoD and there are multiple travel management companies bidding for the tenders when they come up

I meet a plethora of Soldiers on a regular basis who refuse to learn how to conduct basic administrative functions like this and refer to it as 'one of those clerk lizards' jobs. It does raise the question on how people lead their personal lives (booking holidays etc). A lot of it is laziness in my opinion.

If only the army had a process to give people orders and discipline them if they failed to carry them out.

Some discipline issues are worth avoiding, especially when the first time you'll be aware would be at check in.
Thats right mate let's continue treating soldiers like spastics.

If only the army had a process to give people orders and discipline them if they failed to carry them out.
Though soldiers have not been ordered to do their own travel bookings, only that CHBS is the mandated route.
They may have no interest or no need to book travel themselves.

I wouldn’t take disinterest as an inability. They managed to join the army and seem to manage to buy cars and go on holiday.
Some may screw up their finances with excessive debt, but that goes across all areas of society.

They get trusted to operate weapons and equipment, most of the time without issues, so may be focusing their thought on their considerations of priority.

Though soldiers have not been ordered to do their own travel bookings, only that CHBS is the mandated route.
They may have no interest or no need to book travel themselves.

I wouldn’t take disinterest as an inability. They managed to join the army and seem to manage to buy cars and go on holiday.
Some may screw up their finances with excessive debt, but that goes across all areas of society.

They get trusted to operate weapons and equipment, most of the time without issues, so may be focusing their thought on their considerations of priority.
But what if they are Kroneit? Surely you wouldn't expect him to cope?

Some discipline issues are worth avoiding, especially when the first time you'll be aware would be at check in.

I consider it pretty poor leadership to not make people do their job because holding them to account is too much hassle.

I consider it pretty poor leadership to not make people do their job because holding them to account is too much hassle.
Thats fairly much Kroneit.

Just to substantiate my comment, it was based against the @stacker1 assertion that we should bin all MOD centralised booking and everyone is responsible for booking their travel but MOD should pay for it up front somehow.
This puts you in a position where you can't guarantee that someone can sort their own travel out, possibly due to IT ability, lack of IT or internet access. Depending on who you are working with there are a significant percentage of non IT literate individuals in some organisations. To ensure the success of an event which involves travel (now involving 3 quotes for each hotel) MOD would have to ensure the IT literacy of the organiser AND their access to the relevant IT and internet. What could possibly go wrong?
Basically the MOD has a duty to get people from A to B, and accommodate them when on duty.

Just to substantiate my comment, it was based against the @stacker1 assertion that we should bin all MOD centralised booking and everyone is responsible for booking their travel but MOD should pay for it up front somehow.
This puts you in a position where you can't guarantee that someone can sort their own travel out, possibly due to IT ability, lack of IT or internet access. Depending on who you are working with there are a significant percentage of non IT literate individuals in some organisations. To ensure the success of an event which involves travel (now involving 3 quotes for each hotel) MOD would have to ensure the IT literacy of the organiser AND their access to the relevant IT and internet. What could possibly go wrong?
Basically the MOD has a duty to get people from A to B, and accommodate them when on duty.
Who said anyone should bin centralised traveling? Why do you continue to lie? Is it because you are a spastic who can't cope?

Based on what evidence, I've got myself to the middle of the Indian Ocean using CHBS, and bounced around Europe and the Far East too.
Well done you, for needing an agency to book your hotel for you. You are almost a big boy.

Who are these people who are expected to travel but are IT illiterate? Who works in an environment which doesn’t have actually access to IT?

Who are these people who are expected to travel but are IT illiterate? Who works in an environment which doesn’t have actually access to IT?
Also he doesn't like to admit those IT spastics in the military are expected to use both CHBS and JPA.

You are back to acting like a spastic if you think you need any major IT skills to book a hotel.
It doesn't matter, MOD would have the burden of assuring the level of IT competence. Which would cost time and money.
There you go again lying about 250000. That's like saying the army welfare system could have to deal with a theoretical maximum of 80000 soldiers.
Errrr.....
Everyone I know who has used both systems says booking their own hotel is much simpler than using the CHBS. Obviously though, those people aren't spastics and know how to use Google.
So moving away from the centralised hotel booking service then?

Also he doesn't like to admit those IT spastics in the military are expected to use both CHBS and JPA.
That's not true is it. I chose to use CHBS in my last job, and I'm not allowed to book travel in my current job. And there's plenty of units that still use paperwork for leave etc, leaving the admin to adminers.

Latest Threads