Defence helicopter Flying School. Squirrel No.62, 15 AUG 07

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by EX_STAB, Aug 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was the bloke out shooting with the open Land Rover. You could have waved!

(Don't tell everyone where I was.... ;) )
  2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

He probably thought you were doing LLAD!
  3. Give the poor stude a break, will ya? He may have been;

a) too busy to wave back,

b) too frightened to let go of the sticks, or

c) too frightened of his Trapper whacking him on the knuckles for allowing himself to get distracted by the ground-bound.
  4. With a Greener GP? :omfg:

I'm sure they saw me because he altered his course to come over. Was quite low. I've seen them about before. Got "buzzed" by one when out shooting a few months back.
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

A thousand pounds of education bites the dust to a 10 rupee jezail!
    I dare say if reasonable ammo was used you could have scared them|!
  6. I could have put a slug through the cab no bother.
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Thats all it takes brother!
  8. How much will MOD pay for me to sit in a field with my land rover and video helicopters using a video camera mounted on a dummy GPMG?

Might be instructive all round!
  9. You shouldn't have, one of the big ballaches at AACC (which I avoided doing my course out of the shooting season) was marking up all the shoots and updating them on a day to day basis to avoid overflying them.
    Unless you were shooting where you shouldn't have been??

10. Not much. They can get if for free about 2500 miles East. ;)
  11. You're thinking of the formal shoots organised regularly on estate land. Rough shooters and pest controllers will be out practically anywhere at any hour.

Unless you are doing VERY low level work it won't be a problem even if you overfly a clay pigeon range.

Reason being:
    1) Nobody will shoot at your helicopter.
    2) Typical shot load is No.6 which won't penetrate cardboard beyond 80M or so.
    3) absolute extreme (horizontal) range with No. 6 shot (the typical load) is about 250m so roughly 750 feet (i'm sure it wouldn't make that vertically).

Can you think of many circumstances that would entail you flying into an area where shooting is taking place at less than 750 feet with complete surprise so that you could get hit by some pellets?

I think it's something you can cross off your "things to worry about" list :D
  12. No worries to me mate, been out years, but our usual brief was NB50 - not below 50 feet. Some tit once hit a Gazelle with a large thrown stick on an obsex near Salisbury race course, no damage done but embarassing.

You are right about the organised shoots being the mapped ones, only ever acted as a beater on them; £20, a brace, lunch & beer, not a bad way to spend a day. Ration Assassins would cook the game for me after it had hung outside my window for a few days.
  13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I can still lay that on if you're interested!