Defence Experts on the Media

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by red_devil, Sep 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What annoys me most is that these so called experts are mostly Whitehall jockeys or, like that defence expert during the Kuwaiti spot of bother are ex Lieutenants who did their time and did a bunk. Same again for the liberation of Iraq.

Proper defence experts are the lads who commanded the vehicles out there, who know their stuff, teach it and preach it.
  2. What's caused this outburst, RD?
  3. Jesus has someone been on the expresso's today??
  4. Maybe he just didn't get the job himself ;-)
  5. somebodys tired bless
  6. Most Lt Cols are ex-majors.
    Most Majors are ex-Capts

You can see where this is going can't you?

So who'se pissed on your camp fire before your potato was baked?
  7. You do have a point.

The number of times we had to drive up to J*** N******'s house to interview him regarding various military matters....
    Mind you his experience - getting shot down in a Tornado whilst map-reading was more than some.
    No bloody cup of tea offered though.
  8. ...and getting bummed, allegedly....
  9. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Hmmm, Shot down tornado nav who appears as a military talking head?

Good job you put all the asterisks in to cover up his name or you might have compromised his persec (as if numerous books with photos, TV interviews etc haven't done so already!).
  10. Was that Jane Norbert,the famous Tornado Nav?
  11. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

Lewis Page......... my blood pressure is rising as I type the words.
  12. Well anyone can be an expert - you just have to say you are.
  13. No, if you want to be an expert you have to come from more than five miles away. To be a "world expert" you must bring coloured slides.
  14. Yokel`s and Cuddles` assessments of who resp. what an `expert´ is ain`t all that far from the mark, and they also apply to the Fatherland. Over here, politicians are forever being described in the media as "the (Polit.Party)-expert in Finance/Defence/Health or whatever". Anyhoo, one day a few inquisitive sods at some TV station or other decided to check these assertions for their veracity.

They first read up the BASIC literature generally available on the relevant subject and then framed a few questions, questions that any reasonably well informed member of the public would have no problem answering, let alone an "expert" from the political arena. Over a short period of time they then buttonholed the individual politikers and (very innocently!) presented their questions. Guess how many were "exposed" as pukka-gen experts!

Yeah, you`re right. Well, at least the exercise provided a few laughs for the viewers.
  15. During Op GRANBY my mess had a huge laugh about a "defence expert" in the Torygraph who had recently left the Regiment as a Subaltern (or possibly Captain)...