Defence estates, dhe & hic - a personal war

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
1. Why should you expect an allowance to move each time? Most Civvies don't get this!
When a training establishment moved from MW to Arborfield, they paid all the civvie instructors a rather generous relocation allowance.
2. If you own your own place, why don't you use it? With the deployments coming round fast & furious, wouldn't it be more economical to live in your own place, even if it means just at the weekends & live in during the week. Loads of people I know do that!
Ecomomical how? By massive fuel costs each weekend, as well as food & accom charges, as well as higher mess bills, as well as a mortgage payment, as well as all the regular household bills for the house you spend 5/7ths of the time away from?
3. Why would you not consider buying a property in a Military Town?
Because some of us (most of us) think that a quarter of a century in the military is enough, and like the idea of settling as far away from it as possible?
Wait till you get out in Civvy Strasse......You've got a lot to learn matey!
Blah Blah...

Being cheaper is no alternative for poor quality of life and exposure to questionable safety standards. Did you even read the thread properly? People aren't whingeing - the OP is asking for things that others may have noticed with their MQs that would be considered below acceptable standards and is putting a case together to forward on. But thanks to you, this thread has now become all about you and your 'military phrase book'. Why don't you just tell us we're all in our own time now while you're at it?

Back on thread - in response to the OP I have been quite fortunate in that Thetford HIC are simply second-to-none. I have however, noticed on occasion the odd slip through the door about my 'missed' appointment - when I have been in at the time. On several occasions I have heard the slip come through the letter box, only to open the door and see the van driving off - I wonder why this happens so often?

What utter bollox, civvies dont have to move every 2-3 years and if you own your house where you want to live once your time in the Army is up how could you possibly live in it if you are posted at the other end of the country or in my case a different country?

erm, yes it is about the rent:

and its about the standard, just because the rent charged by the MoD isnt as much as the local rental value (at the moment) doesnt mean that it should be of a shoddy standard.

You say wait until youre in civvie street? Whats the difference between being out and renting a property and being in and renting a property?

the difference is that if you are renting a civilian property you have rights that says if there is a problem then your landlord is liable to sort it out or face the music, if youre serving and rent a quarter you dont have those rights, you are expected to crack on and live with it. Why should you?

I am out of the Army, Im also a landlord, as stated before I couldnt treat my tennants the way the MoD treats its 'licencees' and get away with it.
Ok Filbert, keep your hair on, if you've got any left that is!

We're going around in circles here & the issue is getting clouded.

As you are well aware, that if you are serving & rent a quarter, you do it by the Army's rules, not the local councils.

Fair enough saying "Why should you" put up with it. If you don't want to put up with it, the rules need to be changed & I'm certain they will one day. But right now thats what you've got to live with.

I have lived in loads of quarters, as a child & in my own later on. They were cheap compared to Civvy St & they were all in decent nick.

They were also a lot better than the local councils housing stock.

Have a look at the Quarters in Aldershot & North Camp, Yes they're not the best houses in the world, but they're better than the great majority of what is available from the local housing association!

Some people are just born whingers, the rest get on with it!!!

I have lived in loads of quarters, as a child & in my own later on. They were cheap compared to Civvy St & they were all in decent nick.
The houses were probably in decent nick in the 1970s and before, the thing is they havent been looked after and maintained since then and are now in shite state.

As you are well aware, that if you are serving & rent a quarter, you do it by the Army's rules, not the local councils.
Does that mean we should be prepared to live in houses that are falling to pieces?

There are shed loads of new quarters in Aldershot and North Camp but remember Ramilies Park and that concrete abortion that used to be where Tescos is now? there are still quarters of that standard being used now and all the DHE/Modern Housing do is put a bit of black and nasty over the problem because it would be too expensive to actually put right now.

I have had a whole raft of issues with quarters inc being told 5 weeks after an MHS contractor had drilled a whole in a ceiling that it might contain asbestos (which they still cannot work out why I was not told). Happy to PM all the details to DC.

My advice for sorting MHS is as follows:
1. Record everything (DTG, names, extensions, summarise what was said etc) (as per the AFF guidance in one of these back issues - AFF - Back Issues). If you have the evidence then you are sorted - MHS and DE will not be able to challenge it.
2. Do not be afraid to complaint.
Reading some of the issues here, you are not complaining hard enough. Be calm and tell the assistant on the end of the phone that they are being very helpful but you need to speak to a manager because you don't want to shout at them. They will tell you that there is no one available so make a complaint - then email MHS on customercare@mhs.mod.uk with your issues. I have always complained about everything that goes wrong and I now get good service.
I am like a terrier with a rat - i do not let things go and will reguulary chase isdsues down. Aslo do not be afraid to write as they have to reply and chase them if they do not reply within their time lines. They get annoyed with it. Also do not be afraid to write to DE if your complaints are not being dealt with - they take it v seriouslys as they don't appear to like MHS either.
3. Compensation. The vouchers you get are relatively useful (but do not compensate time off for missed appointments). A useful guide is here:http://www.aff.org.uk/linkedfiles/aff/housing/housing_compensation250607v2.pdf . They have to give it to you if they are late for a time slot or they fail to tell you that they are not turning up to an appointment by 2000 hrs the night before.
4. Standards. Make sure the house meets the march out standards - they are available form the MHS internet site and DE and MHS should have made sure that the house meets that standard before you move in; if it doesn't then stand up to the HOs and say that you are not accepting this and DE are to gdt someone around now to deal with it - especially if the house is in sh1t state. I would never take a house over that had no carpets, anything damaged, wasn't clean (what happened on march out of the previous occupants?) etc. I have accepted that some need some work (a touch of paint, a bit of minor gardenning etc) and that some work will need to be done after you move in butif you can get your hand in a crack then you shouldn't be in the house.....

Finally, if you have anything which is dangerous (liquids going into electrics, sewerage, asbestos etc) then demand an emergency call out from MHS - they will come out (as they are obliged to). The guidelines are in their handbook - http://www.modernhousingsolutions.co.uk/modern/assets/documents/mhs_maintenance_small.pdf - which will tell you what is an emergency.

If you have an issue which they won't fix, get onto the welfare chain who will have buy in.

In summary, COMPLAIN!!!!!

GBTD

1. Why should you expect an allowance to move each time? Most Civvies don't get this!

2. If you own your own place, why don't you use it? With the deployments coming round fast & furious, wouldn't it be more economical to live in your own place, even if it means just at the weekends & live in during the week. Loads of people I know do that!

I have & I've never been out of work.
It's very nice & there's some half decent pubs around.
Shame the beer isn't though!

I've heard this bandied about all the time when the argument is inane and pointless. If anything it's easier in civvy street because the rules are applied and adhered to, lest there be consequences. There is no reason why the same cannot be applied by DHE.

Ok Filbert, keep your hair on, if you've got any left that is!

We're going around in circles here & the issue is getting clouded.

Fair enough saying "Why should you" put up with it. If you don't want to put up with it, the rules need to be changed & I'm certain they will one day. But right now thats what you've got to live with.[/B]

They were also a lot better than the local councils housing stock.

Have a look at the Quarters in Aldershot & North Camp, Yes they're not the best houses in the world, but they're better than the great majority of what is available from the local housing association!

Some people are just born whingers, the rest get on with it!!!
Why should you put up with it? Just because you're a serving member of the forces? There is no reason to put up with it - why else do you pay accommodation charges?

but who do you complain to if there are no Welfare staff and MHS aren't responsible for the repairs at your SFA? I've been waiting over 4 mths for reply from snail and email to HIC and have had to involve AFF.

@Dinger

Given the fact that you've been allowed to choose your fittings fixtures and handles etc I trust that you have picked the cheesiest possible tat that money can buy. After all, you will have to move out one day and then we can all look forward to the resurgance of this thread when the next bloke moves in.

How's the recovery going matey? I trust the chin is still up!
The wife chose the fixtures and fittings, so they will be sensible. When we first started on this adapted house journey (and trust me it's been a bloody journey!), we dealt with one of the DE senior project managers, recently one of the more junior project managers has become involved on the day to day basis. It is clear this man is DE indoctrinated, he tried to push my wife into selecting the cheapest kitchen door handles, even though they were totally unsuitable for me. He also changed the specification for the bathroom, he added a bath and a shower tray to what is meant to be a wetroom, he has been gripped and has consequently wasted money on the bath and shower tray.

It is intended, that once I vacate the property, that it will then be retained in it's adapted state to cater for other disabled service personel, I wouldn't mind putting a side bet on that they spend a fortune returning it to it's pre-adapted state.

Recovery is OK, at home on sick leave. Both the chins are still very much up, they do occasional wobble at times in indignation.

I have & I've never been out of work.
It's very nice & there's some half decent pubs around.
Shame the beer isn't though!

Left school at 16 and left Home, didnt join till I was 23. What did I do??? Oh yes thats right I lived in Civvy St.
I realize the hardships to come when I finally leave.
However am kind of prepared for it. House bought and paid for, Courses taken and quals sorted. Cash Saved.
Think I will be ok.
However as Im serving and paying rent I would like a place decent to live in.

I joined in 1973 and the Married Quarter situation was pretty crap then, I'd bet it was crap before and it must be crap now. Nothing changes except the faces.

Hi I also have a personal war.
I left 5 yrs ago and my wife remained serving. i started a march out cleaning service 3yrs ago which has been very successful. however 12months ago we moved to the Tidworth area and i was horrified to see what was happening with the pre payment scheme( Ideal Cleaning). this is a scheme designed to benefit MHS and DE not serving soldiers. they charge horrendous amounts of money and then in some cases not carrying out the work, leaving the next occupant with the dirty mess to clean. and to date no money has ever been refunded back.

As i have 100% pass rate and complete the whole clean and gardens for a fraction of the price, i approached DE and asked what the criteria was. I was told there wasn't one, i asked how do i get DE approved? i was told i cant. I then questioned that how can DE only recommend the most over priced and poor standards company around and still say its in the interest of the soldier? at that point they hung up.

I discovered that with the pre payment scheme MHS do not have to pay for a pre move in clean of a quarter as the clean is supposed to be carried out the day before. Once again fat cats lining pockets

"As you are well aware, that if you are serving & rent a quarter, you do it by the Army's rules, not the local councils."

Rules on behaviour whilst living in said Housing may be the Army's. The LAWS that govern the state of Housing are not. It is a Legal requirement, for example, to have a Gas Safety Certificate. Failure to provide said certificate is a CRIMINAL offense, leading to fines or imprisonment. Lead Agency is Health and Safety Executive, who has the power to prosecute.

Example here for your pleasure HSE gas safety warning as Staffordshire landlord is prosecuted

banks said:
this is a scheme designed to benefit MHS and DE not serving soldiers. they charge horrendous amounts of money and then in some cases not carrying out the work, leaving the next occupant with the dirty mess to clean. and to date no money has ever been refunded back.
Although not in the Tidworth area, both myself and a neighbour opted for the pre-payment scheme, neither of our quarters were cleaned by any company (I always scrub my quarters out to anyway so when the new people moved in the house was clean), my neighbour requested their money back and got it eventually and the housing officer returned my money without me having to ask.

Good to hear some people are returned whats owed. But as the cleans are carried out after the occupant has left in most cases people are unaware that the property they left was not cleaned.

Good point, and on that note is this another "old boys act" to get this contract? Someone somewhere is getting there pockets lined for nothing... Nice contract, no work, bill the soldier on march out... still don't do the work and hope the next mugs doesn't notice it... bill him/her on March out and on and on and on...... I am a sinic!

but who do you complain to if there are no Welfare staff and MHS aren't responsible for the repairs at your SFA? I've been waiting over 4 mths for reply from snail and email to HIC and have had to involve AFF.
Local Council may be a bet. The Council can force a landlord to carry out repairs at tghe landlord's cost, which can include raping said landlord in Court

Try this http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/housing/pdf/138307.pdf

Being a Tenant with a licence to occupy propery DOES NOT appear to affect a Landlord's obligation under law to maintan property. Given the current record of MHS then I suspect it's about time MHS had a new ******** ripped in Court

You can not have less rights in a tenacy agreement that those granted by law, such a Tenancy is a sham tenancy

Thomothehun, After my last move in UK I made a dossier with over 60 photos of what was wrong with the quarter, I am not talking little faults, but live electric wires hanging from the ceiling etc. PM me, I am sure they are Digi photos.

At my last march out I paid for a cleaning compnay to come in,They garuanteed a first time march out. However my cooker was not up to standard on the day. So I call firm who come back and redo the cooker. Second march out and it passes with flying colours.

Three weeks later my mate calls me to tell me I have mail at my old quarter which he has moved into from a Germany posting.
On the day he was supposed to move in he was told unfortunatly he couldnt move in because.............

The cooker was dirty?????