Defence cuts will leave China as the world's policeman, warns Nato chief

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Afghan_Kandak, Jul 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. DEFENCE cuts across Europe will diminish Nato’s global role and leave China as the world’s policemen, the alliance chief warned yesterday.

Anders Fogh Rasmussen praised Britain and France for taking the lead on the Libya conflict but said they could not have done it without US help.

And he claimed the slashing of troops by European leaders will hit military *transport and intelligence.

Mr Fogh Rasmussen spoke out just days after Defence Secretary Liam Fox unveiled plans to cut the Army by 17,000.

The director general said: “For the first time in the history of Nato we have seen an operation not led by the Americans.

“The Europeans couldn’t do this on their own and in that respect it is of course a matter of concern that we have seen substantial defence cuts in nearly all Nato allied nations. If the current development continues, the influence of Europe on the international scene will decline because of lack of critical transport capabilities, critical intelligence gathering capabilities and because of this Europe will not be able to participate in international crisis management.

“The gap will be filled by emerging powers like China and India, that’s a fact.”

Shadow Defence Secretary Jim Murphy also warned about the “imbalance” between the US and Europe.

In a Washington speech, he said: “Europe must pull its weight in Nato, or Nato will have little future. We’re either in this together, committed to playing our parts, or we’re not an alliance that will last.”

The Labour MP added: “It is important for the UK to make this case since we gain power and influence in our relations across the world through our being a strong partner with European nations.”

Read more: Defence cuts will leave China as the world's policeman, warns Nato chief - mirror.co.uk

2. It's all about the 'Yellow Peril' as we slide into another cold war.
    I don't pretend to understand China or the Chinese, but I suspect that they're going to be cast into the role of aggressive and sinister threat whether they like it or not.

3. Although you may have a point, I don't think this will realistically happen. Where as Russia had enormous military capability it's economy was not that big a player on the world stage. Compare that with the Chinese and they are in a similar position to the USofA where they have a large military presence and large economic might. So actually trying to isolate the Chinese in a way that the Russians were is going to be incredibly difficult.

4. Have you noticed that the Chinese only put their interests first. Even Communist brotherhood is out of the Question...

5. [​IMG]

WOT YOU ROOKING AT SUNNY BOY???????

• Like Like x 2
  6. They say America is in debt to China in the trillions..and that China has many assets in America...most products are assembled or produced in China and sent to the West and other parts of the east...do you think the Chinese havnt capitalised on that?

7. Blah, blah, blah, China will becomes the worlds greatest superpower, blah, blah, blah…

The only thing China will do in the near term is implode as it's ballooning population kick off as the grinding poverty effecting the hundreds of millions being left behind light the yellow social unrest paper.

8. The point many are missing is that the Peoples Republic of China is not the same place as it was during the Mao epoch. Although communism is still the ideology, it is different when compared with the Soviet version. Why do you need to overrun a neighbouring country with millions of armed men when you can do it by stealth? Killing other nations population serves no useful purpose - you are killing a potential market for your goods and services!! Pointless - you are reducing your income and profit. PRC is now a major manufacturing centre for the world - millions of people available to make things!! Do not try to say they are poor, poor is a relative term - just because they earn less does not mean they are poor. The price of basic day to day items are far cheaper in China than in Europe, the reason - big corporations are ripping us off - in China the market decides the price.

What we are seeing is the carrot and stick approach: We will help your country but you will buy our products and services in return. The Chinese have thought it through, not gone into something without knowing the consequences of their actions. They know, at day one, what the objectives are, unlike many of the incursions we are seeing today. Their premise is not to subdue anybody, the premise is to make those they assist see sense. Violence in whatever form it takes, to the Chinese, is the last resort, NOT the first. To understand the Chinese, you have to look upon the country as a trust company, China SF, the soul premise being to make a profit for its "shareholders" (its people).

Today China is a major player in the world economy, probably the leading player as they have all the resources needed. From a personal point of view, I prefer to do business with China SF than USA Inc. Reason: I know I am going to be paid on time, every time, the Chinese make a deal and stick to it.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Google 'Lebensraum'...

10. Which China would you be thinking of then? The PRC has a 'one child' policy (which is being reviewed) so its population cannot be ballooning. There is far more poverty in other parts of the world than in most of the PRC.

11. We are at war with Eastasia, we have always been at war with Eastasia. Eurasia is in an alliance with us, that has always been so.

12. More water with it in future.

13. I,ll worrying when I get a tug from a Chinese traffic cop..................in Tonypandy.

14. Which figure are you going by? The Party one or the real one?

Poverty is relative and most Chinese peasants do not and will never have the trapping of disposable wealth and conspicuous consumption the city dwellers have.

15. Unlike sonnoficarus I do not have access to both the party figures and the 'real ones. I just thought that one couple (mam and woman) are allowed to produce one child (more or less there are some slight variations permitted). A policy in force for more than three decades might lead to a population reduction. Of course the influx of North Koreans might alter things.
    I didn't say that there wasn't poverty in China, just that it's not as bad as in some other countries.
    I bow to your greater knowledge and am better apprised of the situation in the PRC.