Defence chiefs warned about reliance on service charities

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by hackle, Sep 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. LINK - The Sunday Telegraph, 20 Sep 08:

2. Gordon Brown praised the sportsmen's efforts last week and told them: "You are doing it for the greatest of causes."

What an arrsehole, how despicable, given that he has knifed the forces in the back at every opportunity. Once again, he's trying to grab the credit with a soundbite, I hate the forces-hating cnut even more now.

3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

The man has no shame.

However, is it not the case that after every conflict a new charity in support of ex servicemen in need has come into existence as every Government in turn has failed them?

I don't expect the situation to change.

4. Totaly agree, the man is a cnut of the first water. I accept that politicians often heap such hollow praise but he is surely the master. Eleven years to display some support for HM Forces beyond the soundbite; wouldn't be so bad except for Bliar and Brown's slavish support of Bush that has so over-committed us. I am looking forward to the day when one of the papers has a bloody great headline slating his faux concern, I want to see him squirm :twisted: :twisted: ; it could have a beneficial effect in ensuring the conservatives put money where their mouth is too... I presently give them the benefit of the doubt but worry that they may not be as good as we hope - Do what's right Dave ! :D

5. I suspect there is the usual policy of " keep doing the wrong thing until someone forces us to do the right thing" - and every government is guilty of that, Labour are no worse or better then the Conservatives. With increasing frequency of high intensity deployments, which doesn't look like it's going to let up any time soon, sadly there will be much higher levels of and more frequently injured troops. I'm sure someone in the Treasury has done the maths and worked out the cost of properly compensating injured personnel... and said 'let the charities carry the burden for as long as we can get away with it' - their objective is to save the nation money, remember, not do 'the right thing'.

The charities are hamstrung in that all they can do is to appeal to the better nature of the Chancellor. They cannot agitate for political change, they are not allowed to. That means that they cannot make representations to anyone to get any law changed. I'm afraid the Chancellor has other priorities, particularly leading up to an election.

The best hope to get any serious change brought about is through the legal route, as identified in that Telegraph piece. This would inevitably be through the much-derided European courts, possibly trough the Human Rights Act. It would be prohibitively expensive for an individual to do that - it would normally be done through a representative organisation, such as a federation or a trade union.

Can you see now why the Government has, once again, refused to support the idea of an Armed Forces Federation? If we want this change brought about, we are going to have to do it ourselves. If you want better terms and conditions only a Federation will bring it about - the charities can't and the Government won't.

If you want change, support your British Armed Forces Federation!

6. Without doubt on all those points, still we truely expect nothing less, do we.

The positive if one may call it that is the real cost of war is being highlighted and perhaps shows that some of the modern public do care... MY greatest disgust though is that the government have done nothing too keep REMPLOY active :x

7. Well said Prodigal. Agree 100%.

It is terrible that so many of our ex-forces are reliant on the work of charity and community based organisations to provide so many, with basic life-support.

It is evident that with operations ongoing, the government focus (which is pitiful in itself) takes priority over the aftercare of armed forces pers.

The timebomb resulting from Blair and Brown's double-handed, "let's start a war, let's not finance it too much" is well written by Prodigal:

Great that Help for Heroes has been such a brilliant campaign, and that there is such widespread support for such a worthy cause. But it should not detract from pressure from both within and outside of the armed forces, for the government, to take its responsibility of, and on behalf of the nation to the armed forces.

(this can be read as ABrighter referring to the Covenant) - Remember "Honour the Covenant" the Royal British Legion campaign, launched this time last year? This link will the reader to the RBL Policy update from November last year - why not read and judge for yourself, what the government has done in the twelve months since. Strikes many, that 12 months on, little has changed.

Headley Court - (Google returns lots of info) :) - but, why are we reliant on charitable campaigns to resource essentials? Government ignorance.

A huge debt is owed to people such as Hackle and others involved in BAFF, who have done all they can to highlight the many areas of government shortfall.

On the basis, that this thread will generate posts from "all the usual suspects" - most will know who the British Armed Forces Federation is - if you're new to ARRSE / FTV - click here to go to the BAFF Homepage.

I expect the "Outrage Bus" posts to commence anytime soon - seems to have been in regular use lately. Forces aftercare is worthy of the National Express approach though - there simply wouldn't be enough room on one vehicle. :) I hope that CGS reminds the government of its duty of care, to our nation's men and women after they return from the Battlefield, as well as on it. The need for yesterday's rugby match, is indicative that previous CGS have not been effective in getting the message across.

(Posted here, as ARRSE is more effective than the CoC in communication to those that matter). SoS Defence, should prick his fecking ears up as well - this goes through your in-tray, Des Browne.

It would be good to see some posts on other members of ARRSE on this area. A few quotes from a few members of the public, when I asked, what they thought the RBL would spend the money on:

"Goes to help out the old soldiers, let 'em get back to Normandy, and visit their mates' graves."

"They spend it on things like mini-buses and wheelchairs, for injured soldiers."

Which was pretty reflective of all ages, that put money in the tin last year.
    I'll save some of the more interesting replies for The NAAFI. It would be useful here for anyone wishing to comment, just what problems service life could lead to, and how effective the government is at addressing those problems now, let alone over the coming decade.

Jack Straw's "We will deliver" - great soundbite - but the UK Government has failed its armed forces, in ways that are too numerous to mention.

Problem is Jack Straw, you simply have not delivered.

Giving money to charity, is a great thing to do. ARRSE itself appears to have been the catlalyst for a whole number of good causes - as always, absolute respect to MDN, Spanish Dave, Blue_Sophist and the many others, who are doing all that they can, at a very effective, grass-roots level, to make things better for so many people.

Hats off, to everyone. - I encourage Charity pleas as most effective, at 11:00pm on a Friday or Saturday night - there is nothing so generous as an ARRSEr, pizzed, with debit card near PC. :D

8. Whilst it is an ongoing disgrace to have service and ex service people relying on charity, we must remember that it is just that - an ongoing disgrace. From Cheshire Homes to the RBL and earlier those who serve have had to rely on the vagaries of charity.

9. Help for Heroes would not exist if the Government was an honourable institution. I look forward to the day I hear that Help for Heroes has been wound up as fund raising was no longer necessary but I don't expect that to happen in my lifetime.

10. It's all been said before (apologies if posted before!!!) -

The Last of the Light Brigade

There were thirty million English who talked of England's might,
    There were twenty broken troopers who lacked a bed for the night.
    They had neither food nor money, they had neither service nor trade;
    They were only shiftless soldiers, the last of the Light Brigade.

They felt that life was fleeting; they knew not that art was long,
    That though they were dying of famine, they lived in deathless song.
    They asked for a little money to keep the wolf from the door;
    And the thirty million English sent twenty pounds and four!

They laid their heads together that were scarred and lined and grey;
    Keen were the Russian sabres, but want was keener than they;
    And an old Troop-Sergeant muttered, "Let us go to the man who writes
    The things on Balaclava the kiddies at school recites."

They went without bands or colours, a regiment ten-file strong,
    To look for the Master-singer who had crowned them all in his song;
    And, waiting his servant's order, by the garden gate they stayed,
    A desolate little cluster, the last of the Light Brigade.

They strove to stand to attention, to straighten the toil-bowed back;
    They drilled on an empty stomach, the loose-knit files fell slack;
    With stooping of weary shoulders, in garments tattered and frayed,
    They shambled into his presence, the last of the Light Brigade.

The old Troop-Sergeant was spokesman, and "Beggin' your pardon," he said,
    "You wrote o' the Light Brigade, sir. Here's all that isn't dead.
    An' it's all come true what you wrote, sir, regardin' the mouth of hell;
    For we're all of us nigh to the workhouse, an, we thought we'd call an' tell.

"No, thank you, we don't want food, sir; but couldn't you take an' write
    A sort of 'to be continued' and 'see next page' o' the fight?
    We think that someone has blundered, an' couldn't you tell 'em how?
    You wrote we were heroes once, sir. Please, write we are starving now."

The poor little army departed, limping and lean and forlorn.
    And the heart of the Master-singer grew hot with "the scorn of scorn."
    And he wrote for them wonderful verses that swept the land like flame,
    Till the fatted souls of the English were scourged with the thing called Shame.

O thirty million English that babble of England's might,
    Behold there are twenty heroes who lack their food to-night;
    Our children's children are lisping to "honour the charge they made-"
    And we leave to the streets and the workhouse the charge of the Light Brigade!

11. Whilst not quite charity, the original military hospitals were paid for out of soldiers wages. Isn't Chelsea still paid for by servicemen?