Defence Budget Chaotic - Chancellor

Discussion in 'Strategic Defence & Spending Review (SDSR)' started by Auld-Yin, Oct 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

BBC News reporting that Osborne considers the defence budget the most chaotic he has ever seen. Que some 'tidying' up exercises? As he says the budget is tied into contracts, that just leaves personnel :( ?

2. Hasn't he called the head sheds of Big And Expensive, Lockmart et al to have a talk sans tea and biccies re removing the gold plating from their contracts?
  3. Very probably, the day we all got the chop, my engineering manager said rather prophetically that LM would have to completely redesign the F-35B to get it to work…*he was right then and he still has no confidence in the F-35B.

X-32 was a proven and lower risk if somewhat less sexy technology. But the big problem with Monica was it was rather fugly and you got altitude sickness sitting in the cockpit. The redesigned version with the conventional wing layout was rather neat though. The manufacturing technology, (one piece wing etc), was very slick on the X-32 programme.

4. He's gone and bloody done it now! Active Edge!
  5. "We are going to have a bunch of kit that makes us extremely well prepared to fight the Russians on the north German plain. That's not a war we are likely to face."

Wel that invites a 'please explain', I'll ignore the RN's role on the River Weser, and merely note the the RAF's was primarliy to detroy airfields, not entirely a role that has disappeared, rumour has it that all sort of countries have military airfields.

But the real question is what new army equipment, and its quantity, has no role beyond the N German Plain?
  6. "We are going to have a bunch of kit that makes us extremely well prepared to fight the Russians on the north German plain. That's not a war we are likely to face."

So that sandy place we visted twice in the last 15 years or so was actually a Film mock up on a German Training area? Or possibly a BBC Doctor Who outside location..?

7. Well if we keep lavishing money on the shower of greedy shite that is GD, despite the clear and unambiguous experiences we have already had with them, just to keep jobs in S Wales, then it comes as no surprise that we are over committed.
  8. Not to mention we gave them 500mil to not give us a single vehicle, and that's on top of the billion spunked on FRES already with nowt to show for it.
  9. My thoughts exactly.
  10. Many people seem to think he was talking about Typhoon.
  11. Chickens coming home to roost!

In my last five years, I saw several projects go through IG and MG that should have been throttled at the concept phase, primarily because they were unaffordable and the requirement had not been fully identified. But, driven by a culture of mis-placed optimism and "can-do and must-do because my CR (sorry, appraisal) depends on it", both mil and CS staff were incredibly inventive with their figures (both in costs and potential savings) in the full knowledge that they would not be around to pick up the pieces! I became tired of being the Cassandra but take no pleasure now in being proved right.

12. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I heard the PM on the radio this morning saying that he was more shocked by the chaotic state of the MoD budget than by any of the other departments. The oaf Brown and his cronies left behind a disaster. It is going to be painful to clear it up.

The problem with Defence is that we could have no defence, save an awful lot of money and provided nobody threatened us it would be a winning policy. Winning right up to the moment when the attack came. Appeasement and low defence budgets were very popular in the 30's at home and abroad - in Germany.

13. Shall we just ignore the rather arkward fact that much of our kit was found wanting when we actually fought a full on hot war?

Biggles flying in straight lines into the teeth of murderous AAA fire at 50ft to deploy JP233 when the rest of the world was using LGB's from 20,000ft and we had to dig out the ancient Pave Spike pods left over from when the Bucanners were still flying with the Navy for example?

SA80 that was touted as the best gat every to grace a squaddies shoulder and turned out be be a complete load of **** when used in anger in dirty places?

Plenty of other examples of shite kit that would have gotten severely burned fingers if we'd gone up against the Russians on the IGB.