Defence Bonanza!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by quiller, Jan 31, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article7010508.ece

"Gordon Brown will put two new aircraft carriers at the heart of his vision for the military this week as he commits Labour to billions of pounds of extra defence spending.

At the same time, defence chiefs are exploring how closer military links with France and the potential benefits of an entente cordiale could tackle future dangers with limited resources.

The Prime Minister will use the launch of a Green Paper on the future of the Armed Forces to promise a new generation of warships and fast jets over the coming decade. He will also guarantee an extra £1.5 billion for the war in Afghanistan, and promise to safeguard defence spending from any cuts next year.

Mr Brown aims to display Labour commitment to the military while also forcing the Conservatives to say whether they would match such spending.

His pledges will include:

• going ahead with two 65,000-tonne aircraft carriers at a cost of £5 billion;

• maintaining troop numbers in the Army at more than 100,000; and

• committing a future government to the Joint Strike Fighter, costing £10 billion, and completing the £20 billion Typhoon programme. "

More unrealistic lunacy from the madman, is he really trying to break the country properly? My dog realises that we can't afford all that in any way.

2. Why would we need to borrow some white flags?

Having said that, Frog MRE's are top scoff. :thumright:

3. Which means bye-bye lots of regs and hello TA.

4. On the plus side, the carrier projects and increase in troop numbers will provide a lot of employment. [I assume the army still has less than 100,000 all ranks, as reported in the press over a year ago, when they said it should be called a defence force.] Please correct me if I am wrong, but the development of new warplanes does not seem to generate so many jobs, at least in peacetime.

By 'peacetime' I mean, of course, that we are not fighting another European power.

5. The Times? Oh really, another early spin at the time when the same Ministry of Defeat proposed 19 Mech to get their P45s but then thought better of it. Anyone notice an election coming on and these decisions having to be made by the new incomers of whatever colour they may be.
    The Times, Zanu Labour through and through, no surprise here from this callsign.

6. Poor George Osborne, Gordon's just raped him!!!

Brown can pledge all he likes, it's a Tory Chancellor that will have to find the cash to pay for it and poor old David Cameron can't cut what Brown has pledged for the fear of looking 'weak' on defence and supporting the Armed Forces!

7. I do believe there was mention of ringfencing the Defence budget in the Times yesterday - which should have been made a lot sooner, in my belief..

But still.. these might seem great on paper, but in actuality.. I'm not sure, to be quite honest!