Defence: 18% cuts

According to the DT today, non ring fenced Govt. Depths have been told to expect cuts of 18% by Gideon.

So, how will DC keep his promise of no cuts to numbers?

He's going to have fun getting that one past his backbenchers if it does apply to defence.

Not sure how my post rates an "old" when it was only just announced.

18% would be a swingeing cut if carried out in full.

Krom

Keep a promise? He has a majority in the House and a 5 year term!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
Very small majority and some back benchers would rebel. They are not newbies now and will find their voices. Difficult Parliament for Cameron.

According to the DT today, non ring fenced Govt. Depths have been told to expect cuts of 18% by Gideon.

Cut the equipment program,
Cut allowances,
Cut the CS even more,
Cut the MGS and get back to the good old days of everyone stagging in at the weekends,
Cut training

It's easy for him to do: make the purchase of the Trident replacement (approx cost GBP 100 Billion) part of the defence budget. That way he can reduce the Army to 3 CCF detachments, the RAF to a small glider club outside of Northampton and the Royal Navy to four dingys in Poole Harbour, while at the same time claiming to have significantly increased defence spending.

Or am I being too cynical?

Why would Trident not be considered part of Defence spending?

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Keep a promise? He has a majority in the House and a 5 year term!

He has a majority of 12 in the Commons.

Add in disaffected colleagues with axes to grind and a HofL that may not fully support his view of the world and life just got an awful lot harder.

If I were Harperson, I'd be very vocal about "Pairing".

Why would Trident not be considered part of Defence spending?

Traditionally it was paid for out of central Treasury funds, as I understand it.

There was a bit of a row about that at the start of the coalition govt.:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10812825

I take that to mean the Treasury paid for the capital goods and the MOD funds the running costs, but I'm no expert in the field.

Last edited:

Turn Regulars into AR. Simple as that. Use some of the savings to boost the RN a bit and order a few P-8s and there you go, more capability as well as a saving.

Not sure how my post rates an "old" when it was only just announced
Krom
It`s probably because most of this likely horror scenario was already widely trailed in the quality press this year. With headlines in the Times, Telegraph & Guardian as recently as early March talking about regular army numbers potentially down to 50000. This was based on detailed research work by RUSI which highlighted the fact that, whatever way you played out the defence figures, one way or another, their conclusion was that further army cuts were going to be inevitable after the election, unless something really fundamental changed.

So yes, there has been a fundamental change, no coalitition & a Tory majority which, if anything, other than trident of course, means presssing ahead with more of the same bad news for the defence budget & the regular forces in the defence review due out this October..

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
If you told Johnny Public that the entire army could fit into Wembley stadiium,they'd never believe you.

:-(

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Turn Regulars into AR. Simple as that. Use some of the savings to boost the RN a bit and order a few P-8s and there you go, more capability as well as a saving.
As someone who is a regular turning into an AR I agree.

However how is he going to achieve some of the stuff that he personally ha asked the army to do which cannot be achieved with reserves. Barring a complete change to their TACOS of course.