Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Deer stalking types

Anyone think they're hard enough to do it the Kiwi way, with a couple of dogs and a sharp knife? Would that be legal given the hunting with dogs law, or do boars come under pests?

EX_STAB said:
dpcw said:
EX_STAB said:
Has anyone managed to de-bristle a boar? As I understand, the method with a domestic pig is to dunk the entire beast in boiling water for a few seconds so that the bristles can be scraped off. Evisceration then follows. Otherwise, if you've skinned it like you do everything else you haven't got the rind on your bacon or the crackling on your roast.

Advice?

Cover the boar in a suitable amopunt of straw and burn it off - worked in the middle ages. You will need to turn it to do both sides.

Interesting - thank you.

I did find this after I posted the query.

I believe that the slightly more modern preference is for a blow torch!

Gremlin said:
EX_STAB said:
dpcw said:
EX_STAB said:
Has anyone managed to de-bristle a boar? As I understand, the method with a domestic pig is to dunk the entire beast in boiling water for a few seconds so that the bristles can be scraped off. Evisceration then follows. Otherwise, if you've skinned it like you do everything else you haven't got the rind on your bacon or the crackling on your roast.

Advice?

Cover the boar in a suitable amopunt of straw and burn it off - worked in the middle ages. You will need to turn it to do both sides.

Interesting - thank you.

Hi Gremlin,

I think the blow torch would be easier than the straw although the modern approach does seem to be the hot water treatment. I'm not noted for striving towards modernity mind!
Do you think Facey will let us take the No.4s and bayonets into his woods on a pig hunt?
300px-SMLE_No4_Mk1.jpg

As for minimum calibre; while preparing for Bosnia our battalion had to be trained for YPR (an IFV) because we were Air Assault.

On the range, while training with the 25mm cannon a boar family walked onto the range. We all had to stop. Mummy and the piglets passed and firing resumed. The range commander failed to notice that daddy usually walks at the rear... :pig:

Queu two gunners swingin their turrets to the right and pumping 25 mm HE rounds into daddy. :rambo:

We tried to butcher him, burned the bristle off and everything but the amount of shrapnell and tendons in the meat made it inedible.

All of this took place at Harskamp barracks. Not unknown to 4 PARA. Though they know the mess better than the ranges! :pukel:

Gremlin said:
Can we have a mounted detatchment for Pig Sticking please??

Go on, say Yes!!! :)
If you'd seen me on a horse you'd have second thoughts about that! Mind you I did see a lance down the junk shop the other day....

Gremlin said:
EX_STAB said:
dpcw said:
EX_STAB said:

Advice?

Interesting - thank you.

The traditional method discussed by a bunch of back-to-the-land types in America, umpteen years ago. Think the "Good Life" with Billy-bob rather than Felicity Kendal

http://www.motherearthnews.com/DIY/1982-09-01/An-Old-Fashioned-Hog-Slaughter.aspx

and an alternative method (just skin it)

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Livestock-and-Farming/1975-05-01/Pork-By-The-Book.aspx