Deer stalking types

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Facey_Romford, Mar 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What's the score with wild boar? Are they protected? Is the official line still that there are none wild in the UK?

Just curious...

Attached Files:

2. Looks about ONE - NIL to me...and that one certainly isn't, protected or wild.....a tad pisssed off maybe but not wild!

3. My understanding, (and I'm prepared to be corrected) is that they are not protected at all - even to the extent that there is no closed season on them. There are other restrictions however, strictly speaking you should have "boar" listed on your FAC if you want to take one with your deer legal rifle, and some firearms authorities have been reluctant to grant variations for boar unless you can prove that you have access to land with boar on. Part of the problem is that Defra has yet to acknowledge just how widespread they are. I was invited to go for them in Somerset recently, apparently they are not in short supply there. The police have prescribed .270 win as a minimum calibre - although I don't think this is backed up by legislation as are the minimum requirements for deer etc.

Others will know much more than me though...

4. Good news. I was a leetle concerned that I perhaps ought not to have pulled the trigger but we are trying to run a driven shoot and increase the number of wild grey partridge (ground nesting) and this feller wasn't helping.

I'm now doubly concerned because I expect he won't have been working alone.

5. Well if he was a scout. He wasn't a very good one.

6. Heh.

Part of the Vanguard Company of the advanced guard motor rifle battalion perhaps?

Mind you I don't want to meet his mum when I haven't got a rifle with me.

7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

There is no minimum calibre required by law for shooting boar. Having said this, the minimum reasonable calibre is .222 or .243. You could shoot boar with .17hmr, but you'd probably wind up on the horns of a dilemma and wishing you'd used something much bigger.

Boar, as stpuid as they are, have come over from the continent in recent years where they have been shot at more than they ever would be in the UK. This has given them an almost supernatural ability to stay out of the limelight, hence the fact that they are spreading up and down the country rapidly.

If they've managed to avoid French and Spanish shooters for so long and still thrive, there is no risk to their expanding numbers in the UK.

Albeit there are no regulations in respect of hunting wild boar, it is nice to see another creature making a reappearance in this country.

8. Well if you need any help let me know!

Here piggy piggy...

9. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I dunno about the law but you could claim self defence? If you hit it in the head or shoulders, it was charging you. If you hit it up the ringpiece it was legging it to summon its mates.

Anyway, given a choice between partridge and wild boar, I'd choose the pig. The only reciepe for partridge is...

Pluck and hollow out your partridge. Casserole with seasonal vegetables, herbs and spices. Throw away the partridge and eat the vegetables.

Versus...

ROAST LOIN OF BOAR WITH JUNIPER BERRIES
    (to feed 6 people)

INGREDIENTS :
    3lbs boned and rolled loin of wild boar

Marinade :

1/3 pt red wine
    3tbsp vinegar
    2 sliced carrots
    1 sliced onion
    2 shallots roughly chopped
    2 crushed cloves of garlic
    2 bay leaves
    small bunch parsley
    few sprigs fresh thyme
    few sprigs marjoram
    9 whole juniper berries
    2 tsp salt

Sauce :

3/4 pt stock
    1oz flour
    1 1/2 tbsp lard or olive oil

METHOD

Bring all the marinade ingredients to the boil, and simmer for 3 minutes. Leave to cool. Score the fat on the loin lightly across the top, and place the meat in a deep dish, covering with the marinade. Leave for 2 or 3 days, turning the meat twice a day.

Remove the meat and wipe it dry. Place it in an oven-proof braising pan or heavy casserole dish over heat, and add the oil or lard. Brown the meat well and remove it from the pan. Bring the marinade to the boil in a second pan. Mix the fat and the flour into a roux in the pan, and strain over the hot marinade, stirring until smooth.

Add enough warm stock to thin the mixture. Put back the meat, cover the pan and cook in a low oven (330 deg. F, 170 deg. C, gas 3) for 2 1/2 hours. Place meat in a serving dish. Transfer the sauce into a pan, skim off the fat and bring to the boil.

Enjoy.

10. Has anyone managed to de-bristle a boar? As I understand, the method with a domestic pig is to dunk the entire beast in boiling water for a few seconds so that the bristles can be scraped off. Evisceration then follows. Otherwise, if you've skinned it like you do everything else you haven't got the rind on your bacon or the crackling on your roast.

Advice?

11. I'm not certain, but I think that you'd have to prove their presence and that they are causing damage before you could get a variation specifically for boar - sure to vary between forces, and they'd be arguing about minimum calibres as well... Continental hunters seem to either use a 'large deer' calibre or 12bore slug (which of course is Section 1 and needs ANOTHER variation). I don't think you'd be in too much strife if a homicidal bacon buttie came charging out of the bushes and you were forced to shoot it to prevent your knackers being chewed off. Anyway, if in doubt, eat the evidence!

From what I've heard they are getting common right across the Southern Home Counties and into the West as they breed quickly - similar situation with Muntjac. The nice thing about both species is that they are fairly easy to drag out of the bushes once shot, breed all year round and taste good!

(Hitting the sodding things first is another matter)

12. I used a .308 (150gr ballistic tip) so the minimum cailbre thing should be OK.

I'm afraid it went in the incinerator (fluke marks on its liver) though. I wouldn't have processed a deer carcass on the same evidence.

Re: damage, that's easy enough to prove!

mistersoft, thanks for the link. I'll have a close look at that.

13. Cover the boar in a suitable amopunt of straw and burn it off - worked in the middle ages. You will need to turn it to do both sides.

14. Interesting - thank you.

I did find this after I posted the query.