Deer parasites

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Alsacien, Oct 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Found a new insect evacuating a cooling carcass of a Roe doe I shot on Saturday.
    The critters do not appear to be ticks because:
    They do not attach to the skin, but are deep in the fur.
    They have a thorax and abdomen.
    Biggest are 5mm long.
    Speckled brown colour, a few bronze only.
    They can jump - carrying a carcass at arms length left me with 3 on my clothing.
    Circa 20 on a small Roe.

What is it? Something to do with the very warm weather we had until a week ago? Any cause for concern?

Second thing.
    Due to my DIY prowess, my butchery room next to the garage has morphed into a spangly utility room with underfloor heating, washing machines etc. I now have to think about clothes etc getting a tick and causing a drama....
    I need to hang carcasses with fur attached as I am usually away for 4-5 days at a time. I have a very large transport tray which I put underneath with water in to catch falling critters - but these jumping insects can swim.
    What can I add to water that will kill ticks etc stone dead, but is completely odourless and will not taint meat?
  2. Well if you start feeling unwell or ‘flu-like’, with rash, headache, stiff neck, muscle pain, tender glands and sensitivity to temperature, sound and light levels - you've got Lymes disease.
  3. is it this :- Deer Keds — Entomology — Penn State University
  4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

...or a hangover.

This is in a Lyme disease area and tick-borne meningoencephalitis - but most farm/outdoor workers are bitten regular and seem to get by fine - the vaccination works on about 80% of people and removeal within 24hrs seems to be the key.
  5. Fish?
  6. Or indeed Anthrax poisoning... which is also easily treatable.
  7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

8. Chiggers.

Little black ******* look like something off Dr Who.

Skins crawling just thinking about the little buggers.
  9. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Nope, does not fit.

Some type of Ked is looking favourite.
  10. Could be these little suckers (lit) which are common at this time of year in NE Europe. They don't actually jump but will run up your arm at a rate of knots. What I find maddening is the air assault to the back of the head. Crash land, drop wings and yomp about until caught.

Deer Keds — Entomology — Penn State University

Beat me to it, but on the kill side, break the surface tension of the water with a drop of oil (olive/veg) and the bugs will sink and drown. Cooling the room temperature down will reduce keds' activity and they will congregate at the uppermost point on the hanging carcass.

Avoid insecticides unless you can find one which is "food safe".

Good hunting!

Attached Files:

11. Wives? Oh no, sorry, that's a dear parasite!
  12. Thats them in the picture.

Obviously Chiggers is not the correct term however thats what I know them as.
  13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Lipoptena cervi - confirmed, a large variety of pics and some fit the bill.

The jumping could be explained by them being VERY nifty.

It is abnormally warm this season which may explain their presence, but they do not seem to be particularly nasty.

I tried the olive oil, it got some, but I found others who made it out - I'm not going to fill a 3ft by 2ft tray easily
  14. all i've taken from this is that a butchery room seems like a very practicle idea.

15. A bear?
    • Like Like x 1