Deer Hunting

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by DeltaDog, Jul 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having served as an infantry soldier on Telic and Herrick, I'm not particularly squeamish about shooting things. However, I've spent a lot of time in the US recently and I'm starting to develop a complex about the so-called 'sport' of deer hunting.

I have two main issues with it:

1. The idea of hunting deer as a sport. I have no problem with hunting for subsistence. I also have no problem with hunting to limit the population of a certain species. I do have a problem with the idea of killing an intelligent animal for entertainment.
    2. The activity that surrounds and supports it. Often, population control is put forward as the reason or excuse. In actuality, many states deliberately keep deer populations at a level that encourages hunting (as it brings in a huge amount of money). Some private clubs actually breed the animals for no other reason than to be hunted.

At the risk of sounding like a self-righteous protester type, I can't help but wonder about the psychology of people who use modern weapons to kill defenceless animals for pleasure.
  2. What's blue and fucks old people?

Me in my lucky blue suit.

Oh, that's "old dear hunting," sorry.
    • Like Like x 6
  3. And if you bung them a few quid after you'd be "Good Will Hunting
  4. The Conservative Party?

****, I really am turning into a lefty...
  5. I did that to some German slapper from Gutersloh once. She chased me down the road half naked wanting blood.

I thought it was quite funny.

She still came back the week after for round 2. The slut.
  6. Do you feel the same about those who work in an abattoir?
  7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I shoot targets for entertainment, I shoot deer because I like venison. :hungry:

Think of it as the ultimate in free range farming if it makes you feel better.

8. Must have been one of those 'homing brasses' !
  9. Why would I? There's a big difference between killing something primarily for food and killing something primarily for some sort of macho kick.
  10. Likewise. When I shoot something its either because its a pest/vermin (magpies/crows/squirrels) so that the local songbird poppulation can recover, or because I want to eat the most organic/fresh meat that I can (vension/rabbit/phesants/wood-pigeons).

Any one who easts chicken nuggets or cheap processed sausages is not allowed in my house!
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Then you've answered your own question then
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Eh?
  13. I live in a rural environment, every animal bred on the farms around here are bred to be killed: the dairy farms dont even allow the male calves to live longer than a few hours. The anti veal crowd saw to that.

Get over it, killing is part of biological existence.
  14. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

If people were wandering around the boonies killing deer simply for shits and giggles, they would be left where they fell.

People who hunt deer ensure that the deer is processed and then consumed.
  15. Question:

Wonder no more.
    • Like Like x 1