Deepcut revisited

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Charm_City, Mar 25, 2014.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Don't want to make it too easy, what's the fun in that :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Anyway, all those jumping up and down about various conspiracy theory's have never got past the cover page of the report, it doesn't fit with their take on things :)

• Like Like x 6
  3. I've read the report and from my perspective on training establishments as a recent sprog these failings seem unrecognisable to me. Forgive for a potentially bone question but was this report/inquiry a turning point in the way the Army conducted its training, or was there a gradual shift in culture?

• Like Like x 1
  4. That's your problem right there son, Deepcut was well before your time.
    Believe me, anyone who was serving in the 1970's, 80's and 90's, who will have known instinctively that the whole Deepcut thing was a pile of plop from start from start to finish, and will find The Blake Report to be utterly believable and entire plausible. The findings of the recent inquest into the death of Pte. Cheryl James would seem to indicate that Blake got it right.

5. Thanks but I'd read the report some years ago. The point I was trying to make was it is easy to be cynical of people who are pressing for inquiries but there are genuine concerns in some of these cases and the initial investigations were pretty lacklustre. No doubt the former is due to the latter.

6. and that adds value to this thread how exactly???

7. Yes i know that, but was deepcut therefore the turning point?

8. Post was in response to an earlier on this thread 're. all trades being put in for Cat C driving qual.
    In response to an earlier post on this thread concerning Cat C driving quals...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Accounting for rose tinted specs, Deepcut was a good place for me in the mid 80s. I learned from generally good NCOs, and, whilst challenged at all points during basic, survived. I even spent longer at Deepcut after basic than most owing to an initial vetting cock up. I had a couple of excellent supernumery jobs and even managed to get on my RPC2 before my first "official" posting. I did my fair share of stags even offering to do extra for a few Bob (£30 the going rate in 84). That said everyone would hide when the guardroom were looking for bodies on a Friday.

With one exception, I never experienced or witnessed any bullying or intimidation. We'd all heard some nightmare rumours about some other recruits, but only ever second hand.

The Blake Report makes sobering reading and I'm in no doubt that Deepcut was not the same place as I experienced.

We had one guy in basic who left us during range camp ironically having won Best Soldier when we passed off the square, for what can only be described as mental health reasons. From what I can recall he was sensitively dealt with. I know of other personal problems that they guys had, again sorted. Before you think we were led by a bunch of social workers... one of the other recruits in our pl was pushing some of the younger guys around. We dealt with this in house. The Pl Comd described us as barbarians when he became aware of what happened: Pl Sgt (PT Delhi 84) rewarded us with a rare well done and eased off on the beasting for a short time.

I'm saddened that Deepcut has been forever tainted with the suicides that took place there, rather than the home of a proud Corps - and I mean the RLC as well as RAOC - and a place that many started a successful career from.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  11. Out of all three deaths that were examined in the blake report, Gray's death seemed the most mysterious tbf., however, I still seem to think that fowl play seems unlikely.

12. Capture.JPG

• Funny Funny x 10
  13. Somewhere in here I related my involvement in the aftermath of a suicide-by-SA80 involving a burst of three rounds through the head. It was clear that the boy had killed himself (even to the point of leaving a suicide note), and that there was no other party involved in the act, however the Coroner chose to ignore the evidence, and left it as an open verdict.

It was my first involvement in an Inquest, and it struck me as an extremely amateurish and biased affair; the Coroner was actively pushing his own pet theory (in this case accidental discharge under the influence of alcohol) regardless of the actual facts,and simply disregarded evidence that was inconvenient to his belief.

To read this experience across to the fresh Inquest for Pte Gray, I have absolutely no confidence that justice will be served by this. To me, it smacks of being told to beat a donkey until you get the required answer: never mind that the donkey can't speak and even if it could the question relates to events 16 years ago, the beatings must continue until the answer is the right one.

Still, at least the lawyers will do well out of it.

Edited to clarify, hopefully.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Quite agree - some Coroners behave quite shamefully when dealing with suicides by young people. Their objective seems to be trying not to offend or upset the parents, hence the use of an open verdict when it is clear to any right-minded person what the youngster has done.

Open verdicts are a cop-out and only prolong the agony.

• Like Like x 3