Dedicated Russian thread

Slime

LE
@tommikka

Perhaps KGB mentioned ’a library’ as he knows I have a good selection of outdoor books, and he wanted to borrow the book below to help two well known Russians find their way around English cities…….in the snow ;)

63C6E806-1702-4915-A260-F968814DB96F.jpeg

Only under the very specific sort of circumstances where ownership of the waters is contested.

When one of the contesting parties says the waters are closed, exercising 'innocent passage' amounts to refuting their right to exercise sovereignty over the water in terms UNCLOS allows sovereign states to.

That's why 'innocent passage' can amount to taking sides in the contest and from the point of the other contester is not innocent.
OK! But closed for six months...

Last edited:
Wouldn't the law of armed conflict require Ukraine to override the right of passage?
I'm not going to pretend to be an international lawyer, but I think that whomever is in effective control of a waterway is the one who can close it. That of course could possibly be both sides if they are actively contesting it at the time.

If you want to look at this from another perspective, suppose the UK were at war with Iran and had taken effective control over some important area of Iranian waters. As I understand it the UK could close those waters to anyone else and decide, on a discriminatory basis, on whom to let through. If someone else arrived and said "I have right of innocent passage through these waters and intend to exercise it", the UK has the right to say "f*ck off, no you don't, stay out" regardless of what Iran said on the matter.

There are probably exceptions and limitations which would apply to that example, especially if it involved critical zones which have significant effects on neutral parties such as the Straits of Hormuz, but that's the gist of it as I understand it.

As an educated and worldly woman, I would have thought she'd write one in Russian for Russia and another in English for the English-speaking world.

It just seems a bit odd that she'd bother with shoddy translation instead of doing something she's well capable of.
If the statement reads like Yoda drunk texting then I would ask when that pesky Google Translate is being brought in for questioning?

OK! But closed for six months...
UNCLOS doesn't impose any maximum duration, it leaves that up to the coastal state. Likewise, defining the security issue at stake.

There are similar issues in a lot of the application of international law: people tend to interpret "We'd rather they didn't do this" as "It's illegal!" when often it's nothing of the sort.

offog

LE
The Times (pay wall) are reporting that Russia is coming under scrutiny about how it is winning in sports it does not normally do well at. It is hinting that additional substances are being use to achieve this.

Time will tell and some other countries may move up the medal table soon.

Slime

LE
The Times (pay wall) are reporting that Russia is coming under scrutiny about how it is winning in sports it does not normally do well at. It is hinting that additional substances are being use to achieve this.

Time will tell and some other countries may move up the medal table soon.

Genuine question.
Are they calling the team ‘Russia’ or by another name?

offog

LE
Genuine question.
Are they calling the team ‘Russia’ or by another name?
The Russian Olympic Committee. Over 300 in the team just short of the number from the UK.

offog

LE
… and can’t wear anything with the full name on it, only ROC … as Russia are banned for …….. drugs
Someone has said that they are using Russian colours. I haven't had the to check that claim yet.

offog

LE
Yep can't get any clearer than this. Every thing but name.

1627833185665.png

1627833216333.png

They are really suffering under the restrictions imposed by the IOC.

1627833349612.png

Old colours. Spot the difference.

Slime

LE
… and can’t wear anything with the full name on it, only ROC … as Russia are banned for …….. drugs

That was why I asked.
It seems they just can’t help themselves :)

Someone has said that they are using Russian colours. I haven't had the to check that claim yet.
If I recall correctly that was the punishment they negotiated with the IOC. A limited team could take part and they could wear Russian colours but their uniforms couldn't say "Russia" on them anywhere.

Dedicated to Russia anyway. Seems someone else wanted their Cold War back.

'German police have arrested a British man who worked at the British embassy in Berlin on suspicion of passing documents to the Russian intelligence service in exchange for cash, prosecutors said on Wednesday.

'German prosecutors said that the apartment and workplace of the man, identified only as David S., had been searched and he would be brought before an investigating judge later on Wednesday. British police said the man was 57.

"On at least one occasion, he passed on documents he had obtained in the course of his professional activities to a representative of a Russian intelligence service," Germany's chief federal prosecutor's office said in a statement. "The accused received cash in an as yet unknown amount in return for his transmission of information," it added.'

As per the latest updates from Energy Intel, “Russia is shipping increasing volumes of crude oil and refined products to the US to meet that nation’s rising demand.”

The news also states that Russia is now, “the second-largest foreign supplier of fuel to the US after Canada, despite being subject to a range of sanctions imposed by Washington.”

The article also mentions the record oil imports from Russia, by the US, as 844,000 barrels per day in May.
So now with Biden administration Putin has "business as usual". Russian monthly oil supplies to the USA are on almost record level 23 bln.barrels (the record level was reached in 2009 - 23.5 bln.).

Slime

LE

So now with Biden administration Putin has "business as usual". Russian monthly oil supplies to the USA are on almost record level 23 bln.barrels (the record level was reached in 2009 - 23.5 bln.).

A very clever move by the USA.
Russia is broke so needs every dollar it can get from abroad, and the longer the USA can use ‘others countries‘ recources the longer they can preserve their own for when they are really needed.

It also obviously continues the Russian dependence on the USA for cash…….………Long may it continue.

Latest Threads