Dedicated Russian thread

Slime

LE

Perhaps there are other reasons for the sabre rattling and faking of GPS and tracking data.

Ukraine, United Kingdom agree to jointly build warships and bases for Navy

22.06.2021 10:05

Deputy Minister of Defense of Ukraine Oleksandr Myroniuk and Minister for Defence Procurement of the United Kingdom Jeremy Quin signed a Memorandum of Implementation for naval partnership projects between a consortium of UK industry and the Ukrainian Navy.
The memorandum was signed on Royal Navy Destroyer HMS Defender in Odesa on June 21, the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine informed.
The memorandum provides for the joint design and construction of warships in Ukraine and the United Kingdom, the reconstruction of Ukrainian shipbuilding enterprises, and the construction of two bases of the Ukrainian Navy.
This is the next step in the development of bilateral cooperation between Ukraine and the United Kingdom to strengthen the Ukrainian Navy, which faces constant danger in the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov, the Ministry underscored.

Ukraine, United Kingdom agree to jointly build warships and bases for Navy

Trudeau: Canada has consistently been strong advocate for Ukraine within NATO

Canada unwaveringly supports Ukraine’s sovereignty and condemns Russian aggression.
“Canada’s commitment to Ukraine’s sovereignty, security, and territorial integrity remains unwavering and our position on Russia is unequivocal. Canada will continue to hold Russia to account for its unacceptable behaviour,” Canada’s Prime Minister, the Right Honourable Justin Trudeau, wrote in a letter to the Ukrainian Canadian Congress (UCC).

Trudeau: Canada has consistently been strong advocate for Ukraine within NATO

Zourabichvili: Georgia–Ukraine relations going back to normal

23.06.2021 17:13

President of Georgia Salome Zourabichvili has stated that Georgia–Ukraine relations are going back to normal based on age-old friendship between peoples and constant support for the sovereignty and territorial integrity of both countries.
Zourabichvili made a corresponding statement following the talks with President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky in Kyiv, an Ukrinform correspondent reports.

Zourabichvili: Georgia–Ukraine relations going back to normal

The agreement has been widely reported, and even has a thread on ARRSE.

HMS Defender's transit was known in advance, and Putin just wanted an opportunist display to show to his home audience.

Slime

LE
This Russian troll throws himself into the role:

OneHorseGuy

6 hours ago

ram the side of the ship next time, if UK fires back, sink the antagoniser.
That type of comment was by far the funniest..........For an obvious reason!

The 'next time' will be fairly soon........and will be the same ship, but going in the opposite direction ;)

Slime

LE
The agreement has been widely reported, and even has a thread on ARRSE.

HMS Defender's transit was known in advance, and Putin just wanted an opportunist display to show to his home audience.
Fine. Deleted. I could have sworn someone was asking about what was being reported in Ukraine.

Slime

LE
Fine. Deleted. I could have sworn someone was asking about what was being reported in Ukraine.

No need to have deleted anything. :)
I was simply saying the agreement had been reported.

Putin is having a hissy fit, he can’t do anything to stop the deal, but needs to try to fool the useful idiots within Russia.

On the plus side, even though we see KGB trolling in this thread we have no idea if he* remotely believes anything he types.

*Using ‘he’ as his avatar is supposed to be one single Russian male.

Sigski

Old-Salt
What Royal Navy provocation? The HMS Defender was just there to visit a famous cathedral, but they couldn't see it as it was covered in snow and fog!

No need to have deleted anything. :)
I was simply saying the agreement had been reported.

Putin is having a hissy fit, he can’t do anything to stop the deal, but needs to try to fool the useful idiots within Russia.

On the plus side, even though we see KGB trolling in this thread we have no idea if he* remotely believes anything he types.

*Using ‘he’ as his avatar is supposed to be one single Russian male.
Agreed. Daisy McAndrew talking about it on GB News just now and the fakery going on. Also how nice the Ukrainian football strip is. I'll leave this link to the National News Agency of Ukraine: Latest news

It's the comments such as 'Russia should have sunk the ship', with dozens of 'likes'. I guess most readers are in the UK and US, as the article is in English. Who are these people?

The comments were nuts, and as others have pointed out many are likely to be agitprop contributors or just, well, nuts.

United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS III), Section 2, Article 17:
“Subject to this Convention, ships of all States, whether coastal or land-locked, enjoy the right of innocent passage through the territorial sea”.

As defined in the Convention, this entitles vessels to traverse territorial waters, as HMS Defender was doing.

Zhopa

LE
Oh I like that. Any link?

Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 01.07.15.png

Sorry to be slow off the mark. It was on Zvezda and you can find some here -

View attachment 583876

Sorry to be slow off the mark. It was on Zvezda and you can find some here -

I don't have a Telegram app and couldn't find a matching image on Yandex so here is a link to an article on their website.

"Intentional step": what NATO is counting on when sending a British destroyer to the territory of the Russian Federation​

Alexey Kurilchenko
Konstantin Khudoleev
23:03 23.06.2021

While NATO is preparing for large-scale exercises, minor provocations are being carried out against Russia - one of these caused an international scandal. :rolleyes:

«Намеренный шаг»: на что рассчитывает НАТО, отправляя эсминец Британии на территорию РФ

I'd give her a foreign affair ;)
1624493632862.png

I think that's missing the point. The point I was making was that the sort of people who read RT, PressTV, and the like on a regular basis are in most cases not interested in reading news. Rather, they are interested in reading things that confirm what they already believe emotionally. RT give them that while their local media may not if they feel alienated from their society.

Of course the comment sections in Western news web sites aren't exactly all that edifying either. I don't normally read the comments in news stories, but to get a comparison I just picked a political story on the CBC web site and read some of the comments. It's a cesspit. It reminds me why I read and comment on ARRSE instead of the major news sites.

enjoy the right of innocent passage
The stated aim was a deliberate wind-up of the Russians, which leaves the 'innocent' up for debate.

In any case, it's all part of the game of who gets to define what the various countries are and which of their citizens have inalienable rights.

United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS III), Section 2, Article 17:
“Subject to this Convention, ships of all States, whether coastal or land-locked, enjoy the right of innocent passage through the territorial sea”.

As defined in the Convention, this entitles vessels to traverse territorial waters, as HMS Defender was doing.
Correct.
However, there are other articles in the convention.
Article 30 Non-compliance by warships with the laws and regulations of the coastal State
If any warship does not comply with the laws and regulations of the coastal State concerning passage through the territorial sea and disregards any request for compliance therewith which is made to it, the coastal State may require it to leave the territorial sea immediately.
As the UK doesn't recognise Crimea as a part of Russia and thus doesn't recognise the territorial waters as Russian ones then non-compliance with Russian laws is apparent.
Article 25 Rights of protection of the coastal State
1. The coastal State may take the necessary steps in its territorial sea to prevent passage which is not innocent
That is not innocent from point of view of the coastal state.
Let's scrutinise the definition of the term 'innocent passage' as it is explained in the convention.
Article 19 Meaning of innocent passage
1. Passage is innocent so long as it is not prejudicial to the peace, good order or security of the coastal State. Such passage shall take place in conformity with this Convention and with other rules of international law.
2. Passage of a foreign ship shall be considered to be prejudicial to the peace, good order or security of the coastal State if in the territorial sea it engages in any of the following activities:
(d) any act of propaganda aimed at affecting the defence or security of the coastal State;

Last edited: