Dedicated Russian thread

I doubt he’d get anything as ‘interesting’ as that personally. He’s under 24 supervision it seems. I reckon he’ll not be doing much more than peeling potatoes and other root vegetables during his ‘service’. However, if he was given something important to do and mucked it up, I’d laugh :)
Interesting? Have you ever been in a sangar. on a mountain-top with a pair of binos in the Arctic, day after day, in sub-standard clothing and fed on sub-standard rations?

It's not as if they need physical look-outs using the mark one eyeball up there, is it?

Last edited:
Interesting? Have you ever been in a sangar. on a mountain-top with a pair of binos in the Arctic, day after day, in substandard clothing and fed on sub-standard rations?

It's not as if they need physical look-outs using the mark one eyeball up there, is it?
Which is the reason why I put ‘interesting’ in quotation marks.

Ah. Your subtlety was lost on this poor grasshopper. :)
As an aside, Sky News did a short piece on one of the newer Russian arctic bases back in April. The facilities seem good, albeit training in the weights room in Cbt kit is not for all :)

As an aside, Sky News did a short piece on one of the newer Russian arctic bases back in April. The facilities seem good, albeit training in the weights room in Cbt kit is not for all :)
Saves on heating the gym.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Russia trying hard to claim some rather dubious morale high ground over the (if Trump has his way) soon to be defunct New START Treaty.

'Russia’s Ministry of Defence said on Tuesday it had shown the country’s new Avangard nuclear missile system to U.S. inspectors for the first time, a move Moscow said showed a key arms control treaty was still effective.
Russia is due to deploy next month the Avangard system, a hypersonic glide vehicle designed to sit atop an intercontinental ballistic missile, one of several new types of weapons touted by President Vladimir Putin as ahead of their time. The Defence Ministry said a group of visiting U.S. arms inspectors had been shown the Avangard system from Nov. 24-26 under the auspices of the New START treaty, which came into effect in 2011.

'The treaty limits the number of strategic nuclear warheads the world’s two biggest nuclear powers can deploy to no more than 1,550 each. The treaty, which is due to expire in 2021, also curbs the number of nuclear launchers and deployed land- and submarine-based missiles and nuclear-capable bombers they can have.'

As I've mentioned before, Moscow is on the way to becoming Beijing's bitch as the Chinese play the geostrategic long game.
The Chinese seem to be mainly displacing the Americans, who had made big inroads into the area after the collapse of the Soviet Union.

The big prize from the American perspective was the oil and gas. This was the one part of the world with big relatively under-developed reserves of oil and gas that was potentially still open to American and European oil companies. The oil and gas were of low quality (high sulphur content), but a market could be found for them if there was some way to bring them to market.

However, the possible export routes all suffered from either going through "undesirable" countries such as Russia or Iran, or through unstable countries such as Afghanistan or the Caucasus (e.g Georgia).

Eventually the Americans and Europeans started scaling back their plans or even pulling out altogether as both the technical and geo-political problems proved to be much more difficult than they had anticipated and the potential for profits receded further into the future.

What has happened more recently is pipelines are being built to western China to serve that growing market. The oil, gas, uranium, and other minerals of Kazakhstan are conveniently close to China without any of the instability or geo-political complications of the other routes.

For the Russians, the news story notes that they would much prefer to deal with the Chinese in that area than the Americans as the former present less of a threat to their diplomatic and political ties.

According to that article the Americans would like to get back in, but they may find that other parties are already too well entrenched to easily displace.

ThunderBox

On ROPS
On ROPs
I was just wondering about this Avangard systems relevance.

Surely once we go nuclear it’s game over and MAD will be assured, the launch will be detected and nukes will fly.

The speed to target and preventing it with anti missile defense is a bit of meh, cities do not have patriot batteries protecting them.

USA have stealth bombers where you do not detect a launch, speed is not necessarily the panacea of nuclear war.

Just wondering why Vlads bone-r for this technology if it’s not a game changer?

miner69er

Old-Salt
dont forget about the repatriation of dollars. At present all oil and gas is traded in dollars and that is what allows American Hegemony and the rest of the world knows that. A lot of competing blocs are trying to get trade shifted into alternative currencies which is another way of weakening the US as the dollars will be repatriated, which will weaken the influence of the US. Currency wars are the new way of undermining - if not attacking your enemy.

I was just wondering about this Avangard systems relevance.

Surely once we go nuclear it’s game over and MAD will be assured, the launch will be detected and nukes will fly.

The speed to target and preventing it with anti missile defense is a bit of meh, cities do not have patriot batteries protecting them.

USA have stealth bombers where you do not detect a launch, speed is not necessarily the panacea of nuclear war.

Just wondering why Vlads bone-r for this technology if it’s not a game changer?
The Americans are in the planning and budgeting stages for a missile defence system covering the entire US (or most of it at least), and this is what Avangard is intended to defeat.

ThunderBox

On ROPS
On ROPs
The Americans are in the planning and budgeting stages for a missile defence system covering the entire US (or most of it at least), and this is what Avangard is intended to defeat.
What is that defence system, a re-run of Rayguns Star Wars?

I suppose it keeps the wheels of defence contractors greased, at least this way the whole Cold War will be bypassed but I take your Hypersonics and raise you freaking Laser Beams.

What is that defence system, a re-run of Rayguns Star Wars?

I suppose it keeps the wheels of defence contractors greased, at least this way the whole Cold War will be bypassed but I take your Hypersonics and raise you freaking Laser Beams.
It's some sort of ground based missile based defence system. Details have been scant.

ThunderBox

On ROPS
On ROPs
It's some sort of ground based missile based defence system. Details have been scant.
Firing missiles at missiles to defend Russia, China or the US is a bit of a crazy idea to prevent Nuclear War.

We have had ICBMs for decades and yet we only deploy strategic defence systems for deployed assets because its impossible to protect a country from ICBMs with interceptors, where are the UKs ICBM shields? Aboard a Submarine, singular, saying do what you have to, but there will be nothing left of you either.

AFAIK THAAD and Patriot do not protect the USA like Isreals Iron Dome system, does Russia have 100's of S400 to protect their cities from a Nuclear strike from conventional ICBMs?

So what is the point of a hypersonic Nuke?

Phallic symbology.
The idea I believe is to free some hot heads in Washington from 'Star wars' fantasies using demonstration of missiles that even in theory can not be intercepted by existing and even future anti-missile systems. It could stimulate negotiations about new treaties related to nuclear weapons.

ThunderBox

On ROPS
On ROPs
The idea I believe is to free some hot heads in Washington from 'Star wars' fantasies using demonstration of missiles that even in theory can not be intercepted by existing and even future anti-missile systems. It could stimulate negotiations about new treaties related to nuclear weapons.
Yeas because there are no hot heads in Russia creating Hypersonic Nukes, Cruise Missile Nukes or invading their neighbors.

Latest Threads