Dedicated Russian thread

Today is Black Ribbon Day and it marks the 80th anniversary of when the Nazi-Soviet Molotov Ribbentrop pact was signed

I'm sure our resident Russian trolls will be raising a glass to their forebears mutual cooperation with the Nazi regime, with their XLW totalitarian regimes both committed to genocide via the concentration camps and the gulags respectively

I'm just surprised our Russian trolls haven't mentioned it yet, they're usually so keen to comment on matters affecting Russia, it's puzzling

Perhaps they are busy sightseeing in cathedrals???
No, they are going to exhibitions explaining that signing an alliance with Nazis was a Good Thing.
You know, Fascist mutual love- in.

The opposition remain banned from partaking in the forthcoming election. 57 or so have been refused as the signatures they have collected are allegedly forged.

They have already said that they will be on the streets to protest again this coming weekend. Reportedly 2,000 or so over the past couple of weekends were detained, albeit most were released quite quickly:

Some opinion polls reported 37% positive and 27% negative on the protests. Presumably 36% are neither bothered or have a view:

Nice crisp uniforms and brand new badges:
From the way the guy in the middle is "holding" his baton, it appears Russia has fully embraced the inclusivity and diversity that now marks western militaries and police forces....erm, services.

From the way the guy in the middle is "holding" his baton, it appears Russia has fully embraced the inclusivity and diversity that now marks western militaries and police forces....erm, services.
Perhaps they're police medics ready to beat people better with their stick of wellness

dw.de often reports on Russian related matters. Today we have:

1. Space, with a robot carrying capsule having failed to dock with the ISS:

1566649973285.png

Russian robot Fedor's capsule fails to dock at ISS | DW | 24.08.2019

2. ICBM testing from submarines:

1566650365178.png

Russia tests advanced ICBMs by firing them from submarines | DW | 24.08.2019

3. Yesterday there was an article suggesting a cover up after it was revealed that five radiological monitoring stations went offline after the explosion on 8th August at Severodvinsk :

1566649812830.png

What is Russia hiding after 'Skyfall' radioactive blast? | DW | 23.08.2019

Long Twatter thread on the major Russian exercise Tsentr 2019

Lots of images and vids

What's also quite interesting is that the "March" distances of some units is quite significant.

The (alleged) CIA spy who ‘disappeared’ in Montenegro has officially been declared as missing.

RIA said the interior ministry’s database showed that Smolenkov had now been declared missing and that the ministry was looking for him.

U.S. media reports have described the informant as a high-level CIA source.
The Kremlin’s say he wasn’t senior, was fired in 2016/7 and have asked the US about reports he lives in Stafford Virginia where many FBI and other former govt officials reside according to Russian press:
The Kremlin has confirmed that Smolenkov worked in the Russian presidential administration, but said he was fired in 2016/17 and was not senior.

Russia asked the United States via Interpol earlier this month to clarify the whereabouts of Smolenkov after Russian news reports identified a house listed as belonging to a man with his name in Stafford, Virginia, near Washington D.C.

The area where the house is located is inhabited by many former U.S. military and FBI personnel, according to RIA.
Notwithstanding him not being high level, Moscow has apparently fired individuals who allowed him and his family to go to Montenegro in June ‘17:
Russia fired officials who allowed Smolenkov to flee the country via Montenegro, which he did in contravention of a ban on employees of the presidential administration traveling to the Balkan country, Interfax news agency reported on Sep. 13.

The plot thickens. But as suspected even more leads showing Russia may be behind the killing in Berlin.

Stand by for counter factuals and alternative theories.

The plot thickens. But as suspected even more leads showing Russia may be behind the killing in Berlin.

Stand by for counter factuals and alternative theories.
Delusional gobshitery.

Two more from the Internet Research Agency sanctioned by the US:
The United States on Monday imposed sanctions on two Russians it said were tied to the Internet Research Agency, a Russian “troll farm” that was indicted by then-U.S. Special Counsel Robert Mueller for attempting to interfere in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

In a statement on its website, the U.S. Treasury said it had sanctioned Denis Igorevich Kuzmin and Igor Vladimirovich, as well as three firms, one ship and three aircraft.
The Kremlin says Congress needs Russian consent to disclose the contents of the phone calls between Vlad and Trump:
Asked about those comments, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters Russia would be prepared to discuss the issue with Washington if it sent Moscow a signal, but that such disclosures were not normal diplomatic practice.

“Of course their publication is to some extent only possible by mutual agreement of the parties. This is a certain diplomatic practice,” Peskov said.

“To be more specific, perhaps, diplomatic practice in general does not envisage their publication. If there are some signals from the Americans, then we will discuss (them).”
Zelenskiy says Ukraine is unlikely to publish their transcript of the phone conversation between him and Trump:
Speaking to journalists at an event at a military site near Kiev on Monday, Zelenskiy said he felt it would be wrong to share the Ukrainian summary or transcript of the call.

“Prior to the presidency I was never a diplomat, but I think I have had many such conversations in my life and will have many more,” Zelenskiy said.

“There are certain nuances and things which I think it would be incorrect, even, to publish,” he said.
On the alleged call to investigate, he said they (Ukraine) cannot be commanded to do anything and if crimes have been committed, they would be addressed by their law enforcement agencies:
Asked whether Kiev would open an investigation into the claims against Joe Biden and his son Hunter, per Trump’s request, Zelenskiy said Kiev would not act solely on the orders of other countries.

“We can’t be commanded to do anything. We are an independent country,” Zelenskiy said.

“We are open, we are ready to investigate (but) it has nothing to do with me. Our independent law enforcement agencies are ready to investigate any case in which the law was broken.”

Interesting paper from a Polish think-tank summarising Moscow's use of PMC's with some good detail, marred by poor (though perfectly understandable) translation:

From today's Politico Brussels Playbook daily newsletter:

FAKE NEWS: The External Action Service’s East StratCom Task Force has discovered that EP Today, which describes itself as a “monthly news magazine for the European Parliament,” isn’t quite what it seems. “With a name including one of the major institutions of the European Union … 145 000 Facebook fans and an average output of 25 articles per day, one may get the impression of a serious news outlet that is an established, influential and informed part of EU politics,” the task force wrote.

Except … “More than 99 percent of articles” that appear on eptoday.com are word-for-word “copies of articles by RT.com — one of the main Russian disinforming outlets.” The task force’s report came out while you were sleeping.

‘Unit 29155’: The New York Times, meanwhile, reports that Western security officials have recently discovered that a suite of operations including a destabilization campaign in Moldova, a failed coup in Montenegro and the poisoning of Sergei Skripal in Britain are part of a coordinated, ongoing campaign to destabilize Europe, “executed by an elite unit inside the Russian intelligence system skilled in subversion, sabotage and assassination” called Unit 29155. (Top Secret Russian Unit Seeks to Destabilize Europe, Security Officials Say)
Moscow continuing its underhand activities against its perceived enemies.

Anyone wonder why there are no Extinction Rebellion protests in Russia? (Or China for that matter?).

(...) Anyone wonder why there are no Extinction Rebellion protests in Russia? (Or China for that matter?).
"Extinction Rebellion" seems to be primarily a UK centric movement, specifically, London. They showed up here (Canada) only very recently, taking advantage of the election campaign. Until that I had never heard of them except for some members on this site mentioning them. This very recent CBC article described them as "relatively unknown until now".

Here's a story of their biggest stand alone protest in Toronto. "Dozens of protesters took part." If video is any indication, not many dozens were involved. News stories of protests in Vancouver seem to indicate similar sizes or smaller.

I don't know what the future holds for them, but I think you're getting an exaggerated view of their current importance globally because they are based in and very active in London. What you are seeing is the influence of the London media and "social movement" machine, with another trend spreading out from there. To get to Russia and China they have to hop some linguistic and social connection barriers. At present they seem to still be in their infancy however.

Following up on the reports that I linked to; my point regarding XR (who have also popped up in other countries as well) is that they are likely being exploited, encouraged, even partly funded by Moscow.

From Electromagnetics post:
1570646524468.png

The end of that sentence is quite revealing. Translated it equals "there is an embarrasing f**k up in the offing, which we don't want the public to know about".
I wonder if there is a Russian word for transparancy.

Zhopa

War Hero
Прозрачность.

But then, on the other hand, there is a huge range of words which convey "embarrassing f**k up" and "which we don't want the public to know about".

Long Twatter thread on the major Russian exercise Tsentr 2019

Lots of images and vids

What's also quite interesting is that the "March" distances of some units is quite significant.
I initially wondered if I needed a swift trip to SpecSavers as I thought I'd spotted a rather Sikish turban about 40 s or so in. Turns out my eyesight mightn't be quite as bad as I thought it was.

Fomin said the focus of the exercise would be on ways of using the coalition’s military group for struggle against international terrorism and measures to maintain military security in Central Asia. Military contingents from Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, India, China and Pakistan have been invited to participate.
Interesting scenario, though, given some of the invitees.

The Russian army with a coalition of friendly countries participating in the strategic command-and-staff exercise Tsentr-2019 will neutralize an abstract country responsible for spawning terrorism and unleashing war, Russia’s Deputy Defense Minister Colonel-General Alexander Fomin told a news briefing for foreign military attaches on Thursday.

According to the scenario, the influence of Islamic extremism on countries in the Middle East, Southeast Asia and eventually Central Asia is growing.

"A hypothetical state emerges in the southwest of Russia. Its leadership shares the extremist ideas of leaders of international terrorist organizations," he said. From the imaginary country radical Islamism begins to spread into the territories of neighboring countries.

"The imaginary country having an advanced army makes attempts to exert pressure, including military pressure, on Russia. The escalation of tensions eventually evolves into an armed conflict," Fomin said.
I wonder who gets chosen to play OPFOR? I also wonder who might take some bright ideas away to make it a reality and who the DS have invited so as to keep a beady eye on as the probable military adversary ...

Well this made me laugh, because who would you trust more than North Korea and Russia to stamp out fake news

Last edited:

Latest Threads