Dedicated Running Thread for all things Running

Last edited:
Okay, to anyone who is interested. My new Road Running Training Shoes, I couldn't decide between the Saucony Guide 13, or the Asics GEL Pulse 12. So in the end I got both.

The Saucony Guide 13 were £124.99 and the Asics Gel Pulse 12 were only £59.99.

I like both. The Saucony shoes are really comfortable and probably provide more cushioning, but the Asics are a bit more sturdy and probably provide more support.

If I had to pick one that I was going to run a 10k in tomorrow it would probably be the Saucony at the moment.

But that's only because I got a slight blister on my left heel from the Asics shoes. No doubt they need a bit more wearing in than the Saucony shoe.
20210129_130429.jpg

Attachments

• 20210129_130447.jpg
    20210129_130447.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 20210129_130503.jpg
    20210129_130503.jpg
    796.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210129_130551.jpg
    20210129_130551.jpg
    910.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210129_130536.jpg
    20210129_130536.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
You missed:

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/virgin-london-marathon-2012-arrse-runners.170094/

etc etc

For the first time in 20 years of applying - and receiving the 'No chance, Loser !' ' magazine - I actually got through the Ballot for the VLM 2020. I have a place.

Now postponed to October 2021. Watch this space. Not least , as I am currently hobbling around the place with a twanging Achilles tendon that just won't get sorted.

This, from one of the earlier VLM threads still makes me giggle:
By a female runner from Manchester: Totes Inappropes :

Yesterday I ran a marathon. This was my eighth marathon. I’m not a talented runner, nor a fast runner but what I lack in talent and natural athleticism, I make up for with determination and sheer bloody mindedness.

In other words, I’m shit but I keep going...

Here is my A to Z of everything that you might need to put you off training for and undertaking a marathon, unless of course, you are a masochist.

If you can’t be put off, then you will need lots of booze and Vaseline to keep you going.

A – is for Achilles. I used to have two of these fúckers. I now have one that’s a bit sore and the other that seems to have imploded. I’m sure that I’ll get by with one for a while.
A is also for Asics. Asics is a brand of trainers that I wear but paying for them is like being fúcking mugged at gunpoint.
B – is for bling, as in medal. We all do it for the finishers medal! B is also for blister and bruised toenails. Who needs toenails in summer anyway? Every year without fail two of mine drop off just as it’s warm enough to put sandals on. The grow back for September and then I do another marathon in September.
C – is for chafing. Be it on your tummy, your nipples, your inner thigh. My friend tells a brilliant story of a friend of hers that got really bad chafing to his nipples. Three weeks after the run, he’s laying in the bath and his nipple just floats off.
D- is for Diarrhoea. Every marathon runner’s worst nightmare and something that runners are prone to talk about at the drop of a hat much to some nonrunners disgust. Apparently, everyone knows someone who has spectacularly shat themselves whilst running a marathon.
E – is for the ecstasy that is getting over the finish line. E is for the Elite athletes that start before everyone else. I once started in the first wave of the Liverpool marathon. I was with a friend who is a very good runner and I thought that it would be okay. It wasn’t…
F – is for ‘Fúck off’. Something that every person that has ever run a marathon has wanted to say to some lovely well-meaning person that says, “Just five more miles to go!”
G – is for gels. Gels, if you have never tried them, are rather like swallowing sperm flavoured with fruit additives. If you have carried them on your person for fifteen miles and they have become body temperature, so much the worse. G is also for Garmin, a watch that tracks runs. Marathons must always be tracked for proof that the event took place.
H – is for hydration. Hydration is imperative to the athlete that is the marathon runner. The most important hydration is obviously the gin, beer or wine upon completion of the event. Copious amounts should be consumed.
I – is for Imodium (for diarrhoea) and also the IT band (a tendon that no fúcker has heard of until you train for a marathon and it gives out on you)
J – is for Jeffing – The Jeff Galloway running technique. A run walk method which lots of people use from mile twenty to twenty-five.
K – is for kilometres. There are 42.195 motherfúcking kilometres in a marathon!
L – is for Lunges. Apparently doing lunges can make you run faster. I’m fúcked if I know though because I can’t do them.
M – is for motivation. My motivation for running has always been to offset the extra calories from the gargantuan amounts of wine that I drink. Other people are nicer and raise money for charity.
N – is for ‘Never again’. A sentence that will be uttered at least one hundred times throughout the marathon, usually between mile nineteen and twenty. This will be promptly forgotten upon getting over the finish line when the early bird deal for next year pops onto your phone with your finishing time.
O – is for one. One percent of the population will run a marathon in their lifetime. It’s their obligation to bore the living shit out of the other ninety nine percent of the population by talking about it incessantly...
P – is for portaloos. I have never in my life seen a portaloo like the ones in the starting pen for the marathon yesterday. More than one person had shat on the seat and the stainless-steel bowl was overflowing with toilet roll covered in more shit. P is also for PB (Personal best) but I got a PW yesterday (Personal worst)
Q – is for Queues for portaloos. You will never see a longer queue than for those before a marathon.
R – is for Relay runners, the ones that pass you as you’re dying, looking as fresh as daisies. R is also for rhinoceros. No fúcker ever wants to be taken by the guy in the rhino suit…
S – is for stairs. Unfortunately, I can’t negotiate stairs today as my legs have ceased working. I’m having to come down on my bum.
T – is for training plan. Nearly all marathon runners have a training schedule that they have printed off and laminated. The training schedule must be obeyed…
U – is for undisclosed amounts of money spent on trainers. “What these old things? I’ve had them for ages, and they were practically free darling…”
V – is for Victory. It doesn’t matter what time you did it in. Getting over the Finish line is a victory! V is also for Virgin London Marathon. The holy grail of British marathon runners but unless they do a ‘good for weight’ category, I’m almost never going to get in…
W – is for ‘W4nker : ’’ Running W4nker’ is a term of endearment in the circles that I move in. W is also for the ‘wall’. Hitting the wall is a condition of sudden fatigue which is caused by the depletion of glycogen stores in the liver and muscles. In other words, becoming ‘fúcking knackered’
X – is for, no fúck it! I’m good but I’m not that inventive.
Y – is for the yellow jackets of the lovely marshals.
Z – double fúck it…I can’t do it…

ETA: PS : https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/t...arathon-postponed-to-sunday-4-october.298872/

Last edited:
Slightly disappointed as I had visions of you wearing one of each! I'd always used Asics until a couple of years ago but there are comfier running shoes out there.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
In the past 2 or 3 years the missus has got back into running in a big way.

She used to do county cross country in her youth but it’s only recently that she’s been properly smashing it.

She does 4 miles pretty much every day, with the odd 10 miler or half marathon maybe once a week. Our downstairs bog is adorned with tons of medals for various 10ks, half marathons and other runs.

She gets through a pair of New Balance trainers every 6 months.

I just can’t get into it. I’ve always hated running. Especially in cold, wet Cumbrian weather.

In the past 2 or 3 years the missus has got back into running in a big way.

She used to do county cross country in her youth but it’s only recently that she’s been properly smashing it.

She does 4 miles pretty much every day, with the odd 10 miler or half marathon maybe once a week. Our downstairs bog is adorned with tons of medals for various 10ks, half marathons and other runs.

She gets through a pair of New Balance trainers every 6 months.

I just can’t get into it. I’ve always hated running. Especially in cold, wet Cumbrian weather.

If you don’t run with Joss are you even a real Cumbrian?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Running with Joss Naylor is the Cumbrian version of the balcony.

The bloke has been running with every single person in the county and also trained every single person at Sellafield.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

Dang it all @Ravers - have the words 'Spring Training Break' not imprinted themselves on your cunning RN trained lead-swinging mind yet?

In 'normal' times these are lavishly catered 'Training Weeks' in warm sunny places such as Lanzarote, Malta and for the more adventurous Morocco etc etc .

The idea being to part what ' Totes Inappropes ' neatly labels ' Running Wánkers' from yet more cold cash by offering Winter Sun holidays in sun-kissed far away places, using the excuse of 'Running Training' as a lure.

My Lords, I offer the Court Exhibit 'A' : Rioja SPRING 2021 | Trails and Vines

Get with the beat Daddio - casually leave a printed copy next to her running shoes....

If going to all them nasty, horrid FOREIGN places doesn't do it for you -try this :

9 of the best running holidays in the UK

Of course COVID ....but hope springs eternal. Forward planning !

Last edited:
Running Holiday - yuck!

I'm all up for a bit of exercise but that sounds like the worst way to spend your annuals...

See it around my way - fat couple on a touring Tandem Bike, slogging up a hill in the pissing rain, with the prospect of a windswept camping site to put up their lightweight tent and have a boil in the bag dinner for two - and as I drive past, I mentally ask them, 'So, is this turning out how you expected...?'

What @AsterixTG said.

When I go on holiday I take my running kit with me and I go running. But go on an organised running holiday with a load of people I’d probably hate and pay for the experience? No thanks!
Oh yeah, that's a good point - always take the kit with me.

We tend to do 2/3 day breaks (well, we used to...), usually based in a nice provincial city or town in Europe - and it's a great idea on the first morning to get up sparrow's fart and explore.

Running around, then through, somewhere like Seville as the sun comes up and the city wakens is a wonderful thing that most tourists will never see. Back to the hotel to wake the wife, have a shower then a massive breakfast.

It’s only right and proper that I point out that this is the most pointless thread on ARRSE. :wink:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Well quite....and if you'd ever seen me 'running' you would wonder at my sheer chutzpah - but there it is.

some geezer said:
Running around, then through, somewhere like Seville as the sun comes up and the city wakens is a wonderful thing that most tourists will never see. Back to the hotel to wake the wife, have a shower then a massive breakfast.

This.

I also had an annoying habit (to the First Mrs Goats) of taking my running kit with me...so yeah, as above but substitute St Eulalia , Umm Qasr , Hong Kong and Washington DC for 'Seville'

Ahem...well as you happened to mention it.

1975 Royal Signals, Trade Training at 8 Sigs in Catterick. Joss Naylor was doing a run from John O'Groats to Lands End. His support team put a shout out for runners to accompany him through various stages along the route.

As part of a PR gig myself and another member of the 8 Sigs Cross Country Team joined Joss as he came down through the Yorkshire Moors. We ran alongside the great Joss Naylor for a 15 mike stint, at which point we dropped out and the next couple of runners took over.

And I've still got the publicity photograph to prove it. It wasn't until years later I realised just how great Joss Naylor, the Cumbrian Sheep farmer actually was.

I thoroughly recommend this book, Feet In The Clouds, gobsmacked doesn't cut it.
20210129_185722.jpg

Feet in the Clouds is a brilliant book. Got me into fell running, which I will be forever grateful for. Well written, informative, a damn good read.

Feet in the Clouds is a brilliant book. Got me into fell running, which I will be forever grateful for. Well written, informative, a damn good read.
The level of pain these guys can endure is phenomenal. I complain of a slight twinge here and there, but those guys just crack on.

the missus .... does 4 miles pretty much every day, with the odd 10 miler or half marathon maybe once a week.

This year I have been running everyday except one (so far), and am averaging 4.5 miles a day. My daughter has recently had a problem and went to see a physio who told her not to run every day and that she needed rest days.

Is running every day sustainable without incurring an inevitable injury? If not, what is the suggested ratio of rest days to running days?

(Whatever the answer, being ex-army I’m still likely to just keep running until I totally knack myself!)

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
This year I have been running everyday except one (so far), and am averaging 4.5 miles a day. My daughter has recently had a problem and went to see a physio who told her not to run every day and that she needed rest days.

Is running every day sustainable without incurring an inevitable injury? If not, what is the suggested ratio of rest days to running days?

(Whatever the answer, being ex-army I’m still likely to just keep running until I totally knack myself!)

Dunno.

I think on her rest days she just runs a bit slower.

This has been her standard routine for about 4 years now. She picked up a small fracture in her foot early on because she was using trail shoes without enough flex in the sole.

Bitches be crazy.

I try to do 3 or 4 miles a day. I don't achieve that religiously and don't beat myself up about it when I can't be arsed, work gets in the way or the weather is too sh*t etc etc etc. I have to be pragmatic and accept that a/ I'm nearly 50, b/ my days of 28" jeans are well behind me, and c/ my couch is f***ing comfortable.

What I do particularly like is the feeling afterwards - I've never got 'runner's high' or any manner of spectacular endorphins thing, just a feeling of being slightly energised and thinking more clearly for a period of c24hrs thereafter.

On finishing IOT in the early 90s I could do a mile and a half in 8:14, nowadays the only way I'd get a time like that is on my bike or in my car........................

Last edited:

Once I got back into it I was like a tramp on chips, had to go out every day between 8 and 12km every day. Had been going great since October 2020. Then out of nowhere, boom severe calf muscle injury. Couldn't even walk. Had to get someone to ring SWMBO to come and pick me up.

Six weeks recovery and only now just getting going again. I've decided to do three days on, one day off, three days on in rotation.

Not sure how long that will that last for, because once I get going the Army beast in me takes over and I start kicking the arrse out of it. Hill reps, interval training.

Nutter, never learn....

Latest Threads