Dedicated Military Hospital

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Dunghill, Aug 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I found this petion by accident and I know the place and it would be worthwhile below is the gist from the petiton so far thier are only a handful of signatures and the Deadline closes 24 August
    Turn the disused Standish Hospital Gloucestershire in to a dedicated Military Hospital
    'As we all know with the conflicts the UK troops are involved in, too many are being injured and maimed. There is therefore a need for a NEW Military Hospital to accomodate our brave lads and lasses whom become injured in the line of duty. I propose that the disused Standish Hospital be used for this cause as it has all the requirements in place. There is 2 operating theatres,a hydrotherapy pool, room for at least 300 casualties and is situated in a quiet location perfect for recuperaion. Please sign this partition and forward the link to all your friends email addresses so that we can help our Military services.'

My apologies if someone else has already posted it
    http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/StandishHospital/

2. This might not be a good idea.

3. Why?
    Please present logical reasoning against said proposal.

4. I reserve my opinions on the matter, but why may it not be a good idea?

5. The critical thing for offering surgical services to injured persons is to steer them into places with the necessary surgical specialities.
    This may require movement from one hospital to another. We simply could not maintain the expertise for the wide range of injuries we receive in one dedicated facility. The numbers injured are insignificant in terms of the overall throughput of the NHS. Incidentally the hospital with the best knowledge and experience of dealing with these types of injuries is probably the RVH in Belfast. After surgery and during recovery I would suggest the next priority is being located conveniently close to their families for visiting purposes. Although emotive and God knows the current arrangements are unsatisfactory - I do not believe dedicated military hospitals are the best way forward.

6. Mike Jackson always seemed pretty keen to keep them on, one doesn't get a much more informed opinion than his on the subject.
    Duffdike mentions that we would not be able to cater for the wide range of injuries in one facility... but is it such a wide range, really? Injuries in the army are generally limited to broken bodies, burns etc., a fairly narrow subject in medical terms when compared with a standard trust hospital and for the circumstances where there is an injury or illness that can't be catered for in a military hospital, it wouldn't rule our the possibility of moving to normal hospitals, in the same way that happens in any regional hospital.

The subject is just about consideration for the blokes themselves who get injured and, in their vulnerable state, feel as if they have been discarded and thrown back into the civilian world, there would be exceptions ofcourse that needed outside treatment, but the vast majority could be catered for easily.

7. Here's one, no one wants any projected preferential treatment, oh look, military hospital down the road can't take my son there hes had his leg ran over because it's not NHS funded and its not a private hospital but might as well be because its soldiers only? :roll:

8. This often crops up and is a very emotive subject. The fact that the HCDC saw fit to say that it agreed with the military that a dedicated hospital was not in our best interests is telling - the HCDC usually sees fit to attack MOD policy at every chance it gets.

9. So you are saying that they wouldn't be run as they always used to be in the UK/

10. Full hospitals may not be possible anymore, but BMH Wards, with military staff and goodies (ie welfare tvs and phones etc) could be beneficial.

Soliders don't want to sit in a ward with civvies after they have come back from Ops. There may be more to the injury than meets the eye. That isn't to say that they should be kept seperate full time, but there should be the means to do it if needed. And of course to provide security to the blokes.

We know we are fighting fcuk knuckles who wouldn't think twice about walking in to a hospital ward and spreading themselves around a bit with the help of some plastique. All the better if they take some soldiers with them.

As for preferential treatment, if the wards or hospitals are BMH then the treatment is provided for by BMH. No one gips about BUPA and pref treatment.

IIRC in the days of the BMH civvies often used beg the ambulance drivers to take them to the BMHs because a. they could and b. they knew teh treatment would be top notch. Didn't the NHS have to pay the MoD for each patient they treated?

11. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

How come is it that the 5th (or 6th) largest economy in the world can't afford to have dedicated military hospitals for it's armed forces?

I served in a 3rd world tiny shithole army and there were 3, 1 Mil in Pretoria, 2 Mil in Cape Town and 3 Mil in Bloem.

So how come is it too expensive to have one here and how did Britain manage to have any number of Military Hospitals up until quite recently?

12. I`d agree with that, whenever I required hospital treatment I more often than not went to the Royal Naval hospital in Plymouth . This was in part because my parents always took me there when I was a nipper.
    The staff always exuded confidence, manners and a genuine interest in what they were doing. My comparative experiences of the civvy hospitals on the odd occasion when I had to use them were that the staff were relatively disinterested, impatient, and seemed almost put out that they had to deal with a patient.
    I once had to pay a visit to the main hospital in Plymouth during the `90s after the RN hospital had closed. I was pleasantly surprised to be treated by an RN nurse who was working there, the crisp uniform and quietly spoken but efficient way she went about her business was a breath of fresh air compared to the hurried disjointed approach of her civvy counterparts.

13. This might be a good road map. Dedicated Mil wards run by the Mil but in large hospitals with access to civvy top flight surgical facilities. I would also like to see a full time professional MOD funded Welfare in support of each ward looking after the 1001 issues which arise such as family visits and accommodation through to compensation claims liaison with parent units and so forth.

14. I agree with duffdike on this one. Military hospitals, in the UK at least, are a bad idea. Thay have, of course, been tried before. Latterly, they ended up treating far more civilian patients than military ones. The choice was that or leave lots of beds empty. Effectively, the MOD was subsidising the NHS in whatever area the military hospital happended to be situated. It makes far more sense to have military healthcare facilities within NHS hospitals. Arguably, military medical staff are more likely to maintain their skill sets in an NHS hospital than they are in an exclusively military one. I'm not even sure dedicated military wards are a good idea. Would you not end up with military personnel, with different complaints, all lumped together in the same ward, for no reason other than the fact they all happened to be members of the armed forces? That would not seem to make clinical good sense. Of course, very seriously ill military patients should be kept in side wards (or intensive care/HDU), but that seems to be the practice with NHS hospital patients in any case.

15. How about a Military Unit where the downgraded and injured awaiting treatment go?

I agree that Military Hospitals are a non starter, but wouldn't it be a good idea to have somewhere where soldiers can be concentrated under the supervision of AMS who can manage and supervise their ongoing long term treatment?

For example, soldier A casevacced to Selly Oak, receives emergency treatment and is discharged pending long term remedial treatments and physio. Where does he go then?