Decompression and Normalisation Policy

Discussion in 'Military Discipline' started by Vladimir_Ilyich_Crab, Apr 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good Morning

Can anybody tell me which DIN/JSP/other document contains tri-service policy for Decompression and Normalisation? The Decompression piece is for interest (I saw at least one document when last in theatre acknowledging there is no scientific proof that decompression (ie fannying around in Cyprus) has any effect on reduction of pschological trauma) but i am more interested in what governs a Unit deciding to go back to work en masse before allowing everyone on POL.

This is a RHQ-esque question but couldn't find a better fit that discip, no problem if this is moved somewhere more appropriate.

Thank you,

2. Have you already read JSP 760 Ch3 POL and Ch5 R&R?

3. I hadn't but having had a quick shufti, there is soemthing out there specifically about decompression and/or normalisation - can't think if it is called something else and couldn't spot it in the JSP master list. But thanks for the steer anyway.

4. J_P many thanks. i have a feeling the document i was reading was a th SOI, so not available to me, but there is some interesting stuff for me to consider as a boss in there.

5. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

Land Forces Standing Order (LFSO) 3209 - Post Operations Stress Management - Normalisation, Decompression etc is all in there.

That's all you need.

It covers the 3 stages of recovery, decompression, normalisation and in-service support.

• Like Like x 1

6. Sorry to drag up an old thread but I am unable to locate this document

I am interested in the contents specifically the policy re normalisation and its duration.

We are being told that it is 5 days, continuous, and that this would include weekends if that's when it falls - I'd much rather spend my first weekend back in the UK with my kids rather than hang around a very quiet camp!

Cheers

WM

7. TheresaMay

Do you have access to the Defence Intranet via RLI...?

If so the link is:

http://defenceintranet.diif.r.mil.uk/Organisations/Orgs/Army/Organisations/Orgs/clf/Reference/mlm/Pages/LFSOs.aspx

You can find it by searching the Master Index to Key Documents on the Intranet - then scroll down to 'L' for Land Forces Standing Orders.

The LFSO 3209 is deliberately flexible to enable commanders to determine the level of POSM to apply - for example, someone who has spent 3 months in an air conditioned office in Kabul, will need less management than say, a guy who's spent six months brassing up his enemy. As there are no longer troops on the ground in (I am assuming) Afghanistan, I'd argue that most forces personnel returning in the near future would require reduced POSM.

The LFSO does not say you have to be in work immediately on returning - so interpretting the policy, there is no reason why you cannot have a weekend at home.

The key thing is, the commander is ultimately the one who will decide what level based on the confines within the policy. To that end, he/she may state that nobody is to go home that weekend - or nobody is to travel beyond 1 hour away from work etc...

It is 2-5 days by the way.

FYI - we had a 4-day programme, and most of us had a long weekend in the UK before it kicked in.

Hope that helps

8. It does - thanks for that

Your assumption re location was right - I am just surprised that for our first weekend in the UK for 3 months since R&R we are being deprived the opportunity for a weekend at home

Cheers

WM

9. TheresaMay

Look on the bright side - your normalisation period will be over quicker this way, and on top of that you will incur one less set of travelling expenses. For those personnel living some distance from that camp, that can be quite expensive!

10. :twisted:I remember a video on you tube dealing with Decompression in Cyprus, 3PARA were in it.