Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Declining a posting

BRB234

Swinger
Hey guys,

I hope everyone is well.

I need some advice on a posting.
If you have been given a posting that you have not chosen can you decline it?
If so, what Jsp etc outlines this?
Or, does APC have rights to post you anywhere they want despite welfare considerations.

Thank you in advance.

Or, does APC have rights to post you anywhere they want despite welfare considerations.

Unless things have changed - Nominations for postings normally came from the unit, not APC.

Career postings - Not many turned them down.

Welfare postings - Normally requested by individuals with welfare needs not catered for at current location.

Mate of mine went Scaley, very technical, rapid promotion to sergeant. Spent his time at 3 Armd Div Signals Regiment in Soest. Became due a posting. Asked for preferences. Asked for UK. His posting order said Benbecula. "Well it IS a UK posting."

Signed off.

Mate of mine went Scaley, very technical, rapid promotion to sergeant. Spent his time at 3 Armd Div Signals Regiment in Soest. Became due a posting. Asked for preferences. Asked for UK. His posting order said Benbecula. "Well it IS a UK posting."

Signed off.
If you can't take a joke...

And I've been to Benbecula, great place for wild camping, bird spotting, saving money and your liver.

You have the chance to request 3 postings on leaving Training Regts…….

F*** me I have been posted to outer Hebrides Lighting Troop....it was a request nobody said you would get it.

Hey guys,

I hope everyone is well.

If so, what Jsp etc outlines this?

Thank you in advance.
There is no right to decline it - however you can ask for it to be looked at again for whatever reasosn you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was posted to Canada my wife had to sign a document to say she would stay for minimum of a year (2 year post), I was told this was usual for some accompanied overseas post.

I did turn down two postings, Chatenden and Cyprus, but I was in Edinburgh at the time, had met the desk officers on several occasions and greatly helped them out by agreeing to a years extension.

I believe convention wisdom is that needs of the service come first.

You choose your postings?

Who knew...
Didn’t anyone tell you? My career was lovely after I found out- just a series of attachments to the defence forces of sundry paradise island sunspots. I only left because a strenuous few months with the Ibiza Pussay Patrol left me all partied out.

When I was posted to Canada my wife had to sign a document to say she would stay for minimum of a year (2 year post), I was told this was usual for some accompanied overseas post.

So you got posted and your wife gave up the right to divorce..?
Ok then..!

Didn’t anyone tell you? My career was lovely after I found out- just a series of attachments to the defence forces of sundry paradise island sunspots. I only left because a strenuous few months with the Ibiza Pussay Patrol left me all partied out.

After I left the infantry and transferred to Int I was able to blag my way into a couple of good postings on the basis of my previous service but got stitched up later. I was asked where I wanted to go next and instead of anywhere in Germany ended up with several years in windowless rooms working with the crabs at RAF Brampton. Interesting at first but PVR'd after two years...