Declining a posting

BRB234

Crow
Hey guys,

I hope everyone is well.

I need some advice on a posting.
If you have been given a posting that you have not chosen can you decline it?
If so, what Jsp etc outlines this?
Or, does APC have rights to post you anywhere they want despite welfare considerations.

Thank you in advance.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Speak to your RCMO or immediate CoC before you go all lower deck lawyer.

You choose your postings?

Who knew...

Or, does APC have rights to post you anywhere they want despite welfare considerations.
Unless things have changed - Nominations for postings normally came from the unit, not APC.

Career postings - Not many turned them down.

Welfare postings - Normally requested by individuals with welfare needs not catered for at current location.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Mate of mine went Scaley, very technical, rapid promotion to sergeant. Spent his time at 3 Armd Div Signals Regiment in Soest. Became due a posting. Asked for preferences. Asked for UK. His posting order said Benbecula. "Well it IS a UK posting."

Signed off.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Mate of mine went Scaley, very technical, rapid promotion to sergeant. Spent his time at 3 Armd Div Signals Regiment in Soest. Became due a posting. Asked for preferences. Asked for UK. His posting order said Benbecula. "Well it IS a UK posting."

Signed off.
If you can't take a joke...

And I've been to Benbecula, great place for wild camping, bird spotting, saving money and your liver.

You have the chance to request 3 postings on leaving Training Regts…….

F*** me I have been posted to outer Hebrides Lighting Troop....it was a request nobody said you would get it.

D

Deleted 164106

Hey guys,

I hope everyone is well.

If so, what Jsp etc outlines this?

Thank you in advance.
There is no right to decline it - however you can ask for it to be looked at again for whatever reasosn you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was posted to Canada my wife had to sign a document to say she would stay for minimum of a year (2 year post), I was told this was usual for some accompanied overseas post.

I did turn down two postings, Chatenden and Cyprus, but I was in Edinburgh at the time, had met the desk officers on several occasions and greatly helped them out by agreeing to a years extension.

I believe convention wisdom is that needs of the service come first.

You choose your postings?

Who knew...
Didn’t anyone tell you? My career was lovely after I found out- just a series of attachments to the defence forces of sundry paradise island sunspots. I only left because a strenuous few months with the Ibiza Pussay Patrol left me all partied out.

Friend of mines last three posts were Brunei, Canada and Oman. He was minted.

Dalef65

Old-Salt
When I was posted to Canada my wife had to sign a document to say she would stay for minimum of a year (2 year post), I was told this was usual for some accompanied overseas post.
So you got posted and your wife gave up the right to divorce..?
Ok then..!

Didn’t anyone tell you? My career was lovely after I found out- just a series of attachments to the defence forces of sundry paradise island sunspots. I only left because a strenuous few months with the Ibiza Pussay Patrol left me all partied out.
After I left the infantry and transferred to Int I was able to blag my way into a couple of good postings on the basis of my previous service but got stitched up later. I was asked where I wanted to go next and instead of anywhere in Germany ended up with several years in windowless rooms working with the crabs at RAF Brampton. Interesting at first but PVR'd after two years...

B42T

LE
Friend of mines last three posts were Brunei, Canada and Oman. He was minted.
I got 3 years in Oman, absolutely brilliant. However I was lucky and was based in Muscat and only did the odd attachment to Thumrait.
mind you, I don't think my liver appreciated it so much.

Needs of the service come first, the needs of the individual a close second.

Speak to your RCMO in the first instance and maybe an informal friendly chat with your desk officer, there might be a compromise that can be reached.

As others have said above, try a friendly approach, and more importantly; if possible provide a solution as well, instead of just a problem.

I once made it clear I was happy to be posted anywhere, and I meant ANYWHERE but Catterick.
He clearly heard just Catterick, the bellend.
(manged to negotiate a swap with friend as ultimately its bums on seats which is their main concern).

At the end of my first class course at SEE REME in 1978, as was traditional, the course tutor came in to read out the postings.
"Cpl Kelvin, 94 Locating Regiment RA Celle".
Bloody great thinks I. Another alcohol fuelled trip to BAOR.
Then the bombshell. There is one change to the above. Cpl Kelvin, you are going to 17 Port and Maritime Workshop REME Marchwood. Where the fook is that I wondered. I soon found out. My worst ever posting in the Army. The pimple on the arrsehole of the world. Luckily after about 15 months I was required elsewhere and was posted to Osnabrück and so could continue my daily diet of bratwurst, Herfy and cheap ciggies.

ETA Corrected name of unit to RA not RE. Oops.

Last edited:
After I left the infantry and transferred to Int I was able to blag my way into a couple of good postings on the basis of my previous service but got stitched up later. I was asked where I wanted to go next and instead of anywhere in Germany ended up with several years in windowless rooms working with the crabs at RAF Brampton. Interesting at first but PVR'd after two years...
Cannot blame you I lived at Brampton worked at Molesworth, most you worked with had their heads up thier arse and as for the RAFP words fail me in polite company

Smudge Smith was called to the SSM's office where he declined a (permanent-not U.N) posting to Cyprus.

Spanky who happened to be sneaking soldiering by the SSM's office 1 minute later said "Fcukin' A!"

Last edited:

Latest Threads