• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Decking

I haven't seen the 'fluting up or fluting down' issue addressed, so have at this. Fluted decking...Up or down?

And by 'fluting', I mean the scoring on one face of the decking, like this: View attachment 331950
The fluting (the correct term is reeding) goes down. If you want your decking to rot out quickly, put it upwards. I bought a house with a new back deck all installed reeding uowards. It was a permanent fight to stop it going mouldy. Lasted about four years before I had to replace it.

The fluting (the correct term is reeding) goes down. If you want your decking to rot out quickly, put it upwards. I bought a house with a new back deck all installed reeding uowards. It was a permanent fight to stop it going mouldy. Lasted about four years before I had to replace it.
What do you do with Travis Perkins decking then? I built a deck a long time ago with that, and it had fine fluting on one side and coarse on the other. Something like this:

Treated Green Redwood Decking Board 35mm x 148mm | Travis Perkins

Yes, reeding/fluting down is what was recommended to me by timber mill fella due to ventilation and moisture mitigation factors. He professed to being amused and appalled at the many fluting/reeding UP installations he was regularly called in to inspect and advise remediation on.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
So is gold leaf, but if it is what the owner wants and they are willing to pay for it. In this case it was the owner who did the work, they had seen the finish on the particular wood (can't remember the wood) in Italy and were taken by it. It is all personal taste at the end of the day.
ISWYDT..

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
For our older radio audience not up to speed with sosh meedz, that translates "I shagged Wendys young daughter, totes".

Should you not know anyone called Wendy, simply substitute the letter D for Doris, or whatever. If you knocked one off the wrist on her smalls, make up your own meme.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T The Intelligence Cell 119
Blade-Runner DIY 19
Tartan_Terrier DIY 27