Decking

I treated my deck with canola oil (rapeseedoil) the penetration is excellent and the cost is minimal, I used an old mop as my deck is 1,200 square feet after leaving it to soak in over night I cleaned off the excess with rags and after 5 years it may need recoating next year.
I have seen olive oil used on unfinished interior wood trim such as window sills and door frames. Not too much and well rubbed in.

I have seen olive oil used on unfinished interior wood trim such as window sills and door frames. Not too much and well rubbed in.
That’s just stupid, because of the cost.

That’s just stupid, because of the cost.
So is gold leaf, but if it is what the owner wants and they are willing to pay for it. In this case it was the owner who did the work, they had seen the finish on the particular wood (can't remember the wood) in Italy and were taken by it. It is all personal taste at the end of the day.

TheIronDuke

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
Quick question, when installing decking, nothing fancy, just cheap and cheerful, should I leave a gap or not. Anyone care to comment?
Decking is a doddle.

You will need....

18v L-Ion drill
Deck-tite square drive screws (Screwfix)
some 6" bolts
A 3mm form - cut to 6" long
Tanilised posts
6x3 tanilised planks
Decking planks. Lots
a disposable saw (Screwfix)
Spirit level
Post-crete

Drop posts into holes and fill with postcrete. Use spirit level to ensure they are vertical.
Have a beer while postcrete goes off.
Bolt planks to posts using spirit level.
Have a beer and admire handywork.
Climb on top. Start screwing decking planks down. Use the 3mm form - cut to 6" long to make gaps between planks.
Sit on half finished decking and have a beer.
Repeat as necessary.

Clad sides with fence planks.
Have a beer.
Paint allowing time to have a beer so you do not dehydrate.

Sorted.

What is replacing decking as the go to garden seating area? Wife wants me to build another when the new house is built, will have a retaining wall area with fire pit so just an area under the balcony.
We love our wood in UK and you get to play with tools. On a roll we built, plyed and lined an outhouse like a shop fit. Fire resistant paint and weatherproofed. Sound, and warm as toast. Wood is good. I've not heard of bad decking accidents and slips but they must happen. I'd not thought about it but an alternative to wood decking seems to be recycled plastic, or a wood plastic composite non slip material. Composite decking coloured like wood is still going to warp and rot. I doubt plastic will catch on for building unless it's some marvellous composition, plus I'd think it burns faster and more toxic than timber. Lethal.

Whatever you do, use the same treatment which will sink into the wood, when the time comes for retreatment.

A friend repainted with that brown Ronseal shit, and after the winter it was peeling off everywhere, and looked like a leper's scrotum.......

State of play so far.

A shit load of membrane has gone down.
Original supplied struck me as economical. (Nod to Effendi)

Subframe has been painted with wood preservative to the ‘enth’ degree.

Decking has been painted in Ronseal decking preservative. (Hopefully won’t look like a scrotum in a years time!)

Interestingly, deck supplier says give 3mm gaps to allow for shrinkage.

To all those who say I will skid/slip across it in wet weather, you should have seen the friction free surface previously!

So far, nothing screwed down, it’s all been preparation, preparation, preparation.

To all those that say decking is so yesterday, I didn’t realise that Lawrence lowellyn Bowen had so many devotees!

Updates to follow.

Decking is a doddle.

You will need....

18v L-Ion drill
Deck-tite square drive screws (Screwfix)
some 6" bolts
A 3mm form - cut to 6" long
Tanilised posts
6x3 tanilised planks
Decking planks. Lots
a disposable saw (Screwfix)
Spirit level
Post-crete

Drop posts into holes and fill with postcrete. Use spirit level to ensure they are vertical.
Have a beer while postcrete goes off.
Bolt planks to posts using spirit level.
Have a beer and admire handywork.
Climb on top. Start screwing decking planks down. Use the 3mm form - cut to 6" long to make gaps between planks.
Sit on half finished decking and have a beer.
Repeat as necessary.

Clad sides with fence planks.
Have a beer.
Paint allowing time to have a beer so you do not dehydrate.

Sorted.
Paint is a deck killer, if you want to half the life of you deck then paint it

Cuprinol or Sadolin for the wood maybe. Alternatives for decking? Sounds daft but treated timber 6ft gravel boards cost under £2.50 a metre or £20 a bundle. Slabs are an option and there could be locals trying to get rid of some because they're cheaper in bulk. All we did for a few garden steps and a little flat patio on a slight gradient for a timber pergola was sink and level the ground. Bedded the slabs in with a dry stabilising sand and cement mix. One man job for a fit type with a wheelbarrow, a slab grab lifter and a spade and mallet. No cutting, but that's not even difficult with a bolster. Paving is another option. Ground just needs to be cleared and lined, sunk lower than the grass with compacted hardcore and wet slablayer, below your damp proof course.
Incidentally I like these Titan post anchors.
1524431928064.png
Seems to work best with 'green' timber.

Not sure about decking but the best preservative and waterproofer for the hardwood in vintage vehicle bodywork is linseed oil. Raw for unpainted surfaces (dirt cheap) and boiled for surfaces that are varnished or painted.

Truck body timbers are similarly treated although many use certain light hydraulic oil which is rapeseed based rather than mineral.

If you have left-over membrane, cut it into 2" strips and lay them over the bearers before screwing the deck boards down - it might help to avoid squeaks.

Drill clearance holes in the deck boards before screwing - it ensures that the boards are tight against the bearers provided that you also...

...screw from one end to the other. If you screw the ends then work to the middle, you could end up with a hump in the middle.

And you have built it so that it has a slight slope away from the house?

you should also have it at a 1:60 gradient as well front to back to allow water to drain off the deck

TheIronDuke

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
boiled linseed oil.

H&S ALERT. A rag soaked in boiled linseed oil and chucked in the bin will self combust. Not sure if this is true of linseed oil but wash all rags with soap & water would be my advice.

H&S ALERT. A rag soaked in boiled linseed oil and chucked in the bin will self combust. Not sure if this is true of linseed oil but wash all rags with soap & water would be my advice.
Or just chuck it in a neighbour's bin. Saves all that faffing with laundering the thing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T The Intelligence Cell 119
Blade-Runner DIY 19
Tartan_Terrier DIY 27