Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Decisions decisions

JoD

Crow
Hi Everyone.

I'm 36, 37 soon and wanting to join the reserves.

I realise at my age it will be a bit of a challenge and ideally would have started several years ago, which was the plan, but due to my dad being unwell I couldn't go forward with it. He sadly passed away last year, which certainly has made me more determined.

My employer is very supportive of joining the reserve forces. I work in a desk job and really want to join the reserves to give me an aspect of life which is more active and also something fulfilling.

I've had a look at the different roles and the ones which appeal the most are Movement Controller, Gunner - Artillery Command Systems, Gunner - Unmanned Artillery Surveillance Observer and Operator Military Intelligence. How do I find out which units in my area have those roles?

Being 'older', also female, am I going to find it tough? I've seen suggestions on here for older people to join the RAF Reserves, which I have looked at but I keep coming back to the army.

Thank you.

Snapper 25

Clanker
Reserves are on average older than regulars. When i did my basic training about half were teens and early twenties the other half late twenties to late forties. Age was never an issue.
I would say go for it, if you don't like it you can leave at any time.

DBarnett

Swinger
Hi Everyone.

I'm 36, 37 soon and wanting to join the reserves.

I realise at my age it will be a bit of a challenge and ideally would have started several years ago, which was the plan, but due to my dad being unwell I couldn't go forward with it. He sadly passed away last year, which certainly has made me more determined.

My employer is very supportive of joining the reserve forces. I work in a desk job and really want to join the reserves to give me an aspect of life which is more active and also something fulfilling.

I've had a look at the different roles and the ones which appeal the most are Movement Controller, Gunner - Artillery Command Systems, Gunner - Unmanned Artillery Surveillance Observer and Operator Military Intelligence. How do I find out which units in my area have those roles?

Being 'older', also female, am I going to find it tough? I've seen suggestions on here for older people to join the RAF Reserves, which I have looked at but I keep coming back to the army.

Thank you.
Having recently completed my Basic Training as someone in their mid-30's it is not that physically demanding as long you can do the basics to a decent standard (i.e. 2K, some push ups, etc). We had people in their 50's completing the course!

Main thing is attitude. If you approach it with the attitude of wanting to learn, work hard, make friends and have fun you'll be fine. Like you I had no military background so looked at all three services and found Army to be the best and do not regret my decision!