Decisions, decisions

Discussion in 'Officers' started by RustyH, Jun 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gentlemen,

You are exactly seven weeks from commissioning and atop the 12ft wall as you hang ready to drop one hand slips and pop out goes your shoulder. There are two options for you: 1. Commission and spend the first few months at your battalion a biff before doing PCD. 2. Move to Lucknow Platoon and spend an extra couple of terms at RMAS.

Which would you choose and why?
  2. If I was given the choice, then Option 1. If only because I can't stand the whole 'Training/ Phase 1' environment.
  3. I would lay flat along the wall on my stomach and wait for someone to grab hold of my dangling arm. Once the dislocation had been reduced I would carry on, through the pain, to achieve my goal.
    I would then have a word with the MO who would probably give me enough HC and pain meds to see me through. If the musculature become weakened and there were repeats then I'd ask for a petit plat.
  4. Opt to join your battalion and attend PCD when fixed. No matter where you spend your time any Holding Platoon is demoralizing.
  5. Are you making that decision?

If you're being allowed to commission with your platoon then I imagine RMAS has decided you've nothing left to prove. If that's the case, my advice would be go to your unit; it's certainly a better way of learning the routine/admin side of things than the last few weeks at Sandhurst.
  6. Option 1 every time. You will lose seniority if you take option 2.

But the question has to be asked, why would it be a "few months" for a dislocated shoulder? Are you that much of a girl?
  7. Perhaps Option 3 - Man up.................. :lol:
  8. Or Option 4, go and get it treated by someone qualified rather than a bunch of internet advisors. Dynamic Victory will be a whole world of fun with a weakened/damaged shoulder.
  9. Maybe it's the MO who is asking :)
  10. You are Liam Fox and I claim my £5...been a while since you practiced medicine eh? We understand.
  11. Spent time in Lucknow Platoon - very fcuking demoralising indeed. The APTC rehab instructors and physio were great but watching your mates commission whilst you are stuck at RMAS for an extra term - no thanks!
  12. My gut reaction is to fight to get to battalion, though as someone noted its not entirely my choice. The reason I ask is that someone brought out the point of first impressions. Do I really want mine to be as a semi biff?

Opinions? What would your reaction to a new subbie who arrived biffed?
  13. I think it would be sympathetic, providing the "biffing" was either the result of a service related incident or a respectable sporting injury. So cricket for The Infantry XI, bravo zulu but nude hang-gliding not so much...
  14. Surely your first COA is to sue the Army?

15. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

From my navy-blue armchair, I think the most important thing is to get correct treatment for this shoulder. Bweing brave is all well and good, but if the injusry is not treated properly the situation may deteriorate to the point of invaliding, and then everything else will have been for nothing. It's not as if you are in the face of the enemy, when you have to bash on for the sake of the people around you.