Decision: Porsche Cayman (S) vs Audi TT (R)S

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by petit_stilton, Sep 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm buying a quick Coupe on a Germany posting.

I want a german classic coupe, non of the Japanese brands do it for me:

So to keep costs down I could get an Audi TTS or a Porsche Cayman, these are normally compared to each other and as a drivers car the Porsche wins. However it's 10kEuros more expensive :( and slower to 60.

If I push the boat out, I can aim for the top of the lines: Audi TTRS or the Porsche CaymanS.

Do people have any views? I think driving onto barracks in a Porsche might be fairly provocative. So the Audi will keep me incognito better, driving to civilian areas (shopping and sports) would also be easier in an Audi. But have you seen the beauty that is the porsche?

Nice tax free position to be in though!

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

The arse has fallen out of the German second market higher end this year

Check the audi and porsche sites for "gebrauchtwagen" prices - mileage/use tends to be low and depreciation high....
    I was offered 18% off a new Audi last time mine was in the garage....

3. Now the new Astra is coming out Naafi are doing some good deals on the old style ones.

4. Thanks very much for the Second hand info in Germany. Very useful :)

I do have a stack saved from 3 recent tours, so I can aim new Tax-Free (never had a new car before, call me silly but I want to buy one in my life!)

Before I get sprogs running around a coupe will be very nice.

I hear the second poster on the Astra, but Vauxhall's don't do it for me at all. I'm aiming somewhat higher, and will spank 3 tours of LSSA on this new beastie!

5. Dont get hung up on 0-60 times. Its the overtaking capability on the Autobahns and country roads you should be interested in. Not the ability of how fast you can get from the block to the main gate! I have a car that on paper does 0-60 in 5.8secs. Never got close to it but love laughing at those Audi and certain Porsche driver when i overtake them!!
    Seriously, as a drivers car go for the Porsche. As of yet, they have'nt made a Cayman diesel, Audi on the other hand....!!!!

6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Its your money, but you will write off 5 figures just driving it home from the showroom - even with your discount. Chances are that if you need to offload it quick'ish on posting your will get a right financial kicking....
    Try the new car configuation wizard on the sites, check the total price - then look at a 2 year old with 15k on the clock - and breathe.....
    Keep in mind those are the high second hand prices, private sales, big independants etc undercut by another 10-20%

The 20k you would lose could get you a Caterham for trackdays.. 8)

7. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Wise comments, however it really is satisfying walking into the dealer and driving away a brand new car with less than 10 miles on the clock. Added to that the warranty and peace of mind that it hasn't been ragged, sometimes new is the way forward if you can afford it.

I drive Italian motors so for me it has to be new as most of them self destruct after 3 years anyway. :D
    I suppose this is not so much of an issue with kraut wagons.

Hmmmm a Caterham you say? Now that is tempting!

8. If you buy a Porsche with tiptronic then it cannot have been ragged! Driven reasonably hard then yes, but destroyed by some chav: no.

Porsche are extremely reliable (more so than Audi who seem to be suffering from build quality issues).

A couple of friends own Porkies: 997 Turbos, 996 4S, 987, 985S and all love them and not had any trouble (a couple have done over 70,000km per year for 4 years). The Audi TT, while being a good car does look like it should have some daddy's girl driving it.

Just remember servicing costs, and no matter what car you buy you will have to put in new oil every 6 months (or watch your engine eat itself).

9. Dont like either, the Audi is a hairdressers car, and the everyone driving past the Porker will think 'couldn't afford a 911'.

By an M3, or are you having a mid life crises?

10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Quality cars with warranties, no worries.
    I just took a look. 2 year old Caymens with 15k (9000 miles) start in the low 30k's - and you would get 10-15% off for cash - so 30k with a Porsche dealer warranty. That is with their dealer mark up and warranty offset factored in - hate to think what they would offer you if you walk in to offload one.....
    New would come in at about 50k (assuming 20% discount) depending on spec. but you need to think 10-15k on the 50k base price.
    Run it to UK and back a few times and the value will plummet even lower, a minor ding in its history will also whack you in DE.
    20-25k lost in 2 years is a lot - its a new Ducati 1198s for example....

11. I know someone who is about to advertise his 1 year old fully BFG'd and German Legal Dodge Viper 8.4 litre if you're interested. I should warn you it's pricy though.

12. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Dodge - build quality second to just about everyone 8)

Plenty about:
    http://www.mobile.de/modellverzeichnis/dodge/viper.html

13. Interesting stuff from all.

I'm not too bothered by resale values. I'm not planning on selling it for at long time, I'll drive the thing for 7-10 years and until around 100k on the clock. (just like I've done with my current car, albeit wasn't new when I got it).

Not interested in the Dodge Viper sorry, it's just not my thing.

I did raise a smile at the TT(R)S being called a girls car. It's as fast as any other non-super car and sounds like a rocket taking off. Go look at it on Youtube :))

As for the Cayman hate....no I can't afford a 911. That's why I'm looking at the Cayman :)

14. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I think both the Boxster and Cayman look better than a 911.

But an R8 is the head turner at the moment - especially in white.

15. Again, the R8 is three times my budget :(

I agree, it's an amazing car. If I was on a General's wage then maybe :)