Deciding when it's time to say goodbye

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Soggy4978, Feb 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Soggy4978

Soggy4978 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Good morning Arssers and Arrsettes.

First off, feel free to take the piss, but I've put this in here rather than the NAAFI in the hope of gaining some half sensible responses.

As some of you may know from my previous posts, I own a pair of rats. (Yes, they're clean and friendly. Get over it.)

Now, one of them, Jake, got a tumour at the age of about 6 months. We had it removed, she recovered from surgery and all was fine. Fast forward to now, she's 2 years old and has developed another tumour.

The average life expectancy of a rat is between 2 1/2 and 3 years. Due to the environment they live in, the diet they receive and the amount of exercise they get, we can confidently expect them to live to 3 under normal circumstances.

The question is: if the tumour is benign (as the previous one was) and, as yet, not damaging her quality of life, and we can expect it to be a further few months before it does start to seriously affect her, is it fair to put her through the stress of surgery if it will only extend her life for maybe a few months?

If it makes it easier for you to answer, change the word 'rat' for 'dog', 'cat', 'pony' or whatever else.

2. Put it out of its misery

3. Buy a snake.

4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Quality of life for a rat?

You are fcking insane...... :)

5. How much is surgery gonna cost?

6. Rule 1, DON'T ever mention ponies Sluggy will here like a rash, personally if it reduces their quality of life then the kindest thing is to say goodbye.

• Like Like x 1
  7. There is another question. How much will the surgery cost?

But in principle, 6 months to an animal with a 3 year life expectancy is the equivalent of, lets say, 10 years for a human. So possibly worthwhile.

8. Soggy4978

Surely it's at least better to wait until there are signs of misery. As it is she's still eating, grooming and behaving as normal and the tumour isn't getting in the way. Obviously this could change at any time but, until it does, shouldn't we just keep an eye on her and let her live as long as she can before we let her cross the river?

9. Or child.

You have to do what you think is best. Your best judgement. Be objective.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Soggy4978

The cost of the surgery is, shall we say, fairly high. Money, however, isn't really an issue at the moment.

11. Soggy4978

As far as I see it, 6 months is a decent amount of time for a small animal. If however she'd live another 5 months before it started to cause serious issues and could function normally and happily in that time, is it worth putting her through the stress and pain of an operation in order to gain another 30 days? I don't feel that it is. Mrs. Soggy disagrees however and feels that, whatever the case, we should have it removed.

Added to this is, of course, the fact that she could potentially die in surgery.

12. If money isn't the issue, then it's a smaller operation if you get on with it now, then do it. The creature survived the previous removal and has presumably gone on to have a happy life.

13. Your vet must be rubbing his hands in glee over the executive car websites.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Soggy4978

Probably. But then again, I charged an estate agents £500 to do absolutely nothing to their computer system that they couldn't have done themselves. What goes around comes around and all that.

15. It's a ******* rat. Tread on it.

• Like Like x 3