Deciding factors in choosing a regiment?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by robbiedont, Mar 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am hoping to join the infantry later this year, but was wondering what peoples thoughts were on how to choose what regiment to join?

Clearly The Royal Anglians should be high on the list as they are my "local" regiment, but are there other factors I should be considering?
  2. join the paras
  3. An infantryman's rifle has an effective range of a few hundred metres regardless of the organisation that he belongs to. However, the means of getting him to within that effective range of the enemy varies greatly.

You can walk or ride; how hard do you want your journey to be?
  4. Local recruiting area is an obvious factor, although not a neccesity- I am English, and approaching 10 years wearing the cap badge of a Scots regiment.

You should think about what it is you want to do, and where you would prefer to go- There are Infantry regiments based all over the world, some armoured on Warrior, some light role, some on ceremonial, etc. It all depends on what it is you want to do with your life. Bear in mind though that the roles of each regiment change often, as do the postings.

Try if you can to go on a Look at Life course with your local regiments, to get a better feel of the people you will eventually be living, drinking, working and fighting alongside. The more comfortable you feel with your regiment, the better your future will be.

Edited for punctuation.
  5. join the paras
    also assuming you eventually join the 2nd battalion royal anglian, you will **** off to germany and that isnt exactly local. the paras are permenantly* posted in colchester which is only in essex. where are you from?
  6. Norwich, I didn't mean to join the Anglians because they are close to home, I don't really care how close to home I am.
  7. 2 and 3Para are based in Colchester.
    1 Para at St. Athan supporting SF's
    Sometimes you get to go to Afghanistan.
  8. Well the Para's are top of the list as, above anything else I want to be the best that I can be. But you never know, they may not want me!
  9. go on their insight course, shows you how fit you need to be so gives you a kick up the arrse
  10. Already booked in for June!
  11. you said you were thinking of joining later in the year. good idea but start getting fit now. i was exactly like you. i wanted to enjoy the summer then get down to business but you should start training now if you want to join the paras.
  12. Join your local regiment, besides the language there are a number of benefits you will only see over a long time. Do not be swayed by the resent news, all infantry regiments are as good as each other when it come down to it. I am quite certain that my regiment is far better then any other :p and I am also certain that the next guy thinks the same about his. :D Think of the long term, do you really want to spend your career permanently in the UK except for the occasional trip doing the same job. Although the infantry does not change as often as it used to and the choose of locations is not as great as it was do consider the wider aspect of a posting. Although my chose of regiment was local my chose of Bn was so that I would spend 5 year in Germany and then change roles every three years.

Think about what you want to do in 10 years.
  13. Research the history of each one, decide which one offers most pride. ;)
  14. What an interesting thing to say, really. Of course, regimental history is important but it is by no means the only source of pride. I am proud to be of my capbadge but it is not directly because of our Battle Honours, Victoria Crosses or quirky dinner night rituals etc.

What is it that motivates the British soldier in 2008? There's a discussion point for you. If you can nail it down to a particular Regiment, you're on to a winner.

Every Regiment has something to special to offer, if not, it probably wouldnt exist.
  15. I'm only joining later in the year because I have a triathlon I am doing in July which I have taken way too much sponsorship money for to not do!