Decent Winter Cocktails

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by sc_obvious, Dec 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having a few lads around for a few beers to celebrate the festive period and was thinking of knocking up some cocktails. Obviously the easier the better. So, seasoned boozers, what are your recommendations? Nothing too fancy mind, I'm not gonna spend 20 minutes cutting up fruit!
  2. Guinness plus sparkling wine and port easy fruit as required.
  3. Two charming drinks for wintry cocktail parties...

One part vodka, one part peach schnapps, one part cranberry juice. Shake and serve in big shot glasses. Best drunk in one, to get that vodka/schnappsy burn and feel justified in making the Casey Jones gesture and hollering woo-woo. The state drink of Connecticut...Christmassy and fun.

Jigger of sloe gin, poured over ice. Add twist of lemon and top glass off with bitter lemon. You get a nice "pousse cafe" or sunrise effect as the sloe and lemon mix. Sloe gin makes it a bit wintry but it is also nice for a summer party.
  4. What about buying one of those rumtofts or whatever they're called? Just keep loading it with fruit and spirits during the year and come winter all you have to do is eat, drink and be pissed out of your skull.
  5. Hot buttered rum

2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
    1/4 cup honey
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
    Pinch salt
    3/4 cup rum [I use Lamb's Navy]
    2 cups boiling water
    4 sticks cinnamon, for garnish

Using an electric mixer, beat the brown sugar, butter, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in a medium bowl until blended and smooth. Transfer the mixture to a 4-cup (or larger) measuring cup. Add the rum and then 2 cups of boiling water. Stir until the butter mixture dissolves. Divide the buttered rum among 4 mugs. Garnish with the cinnamon sticks and serve.

This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant.

[Scaled down from bulk? That's a travesty.]

This recipe came from Rachel Ray's website. A hot buttered Rachel Ray would be even better!
  6. Or chuck it into a tall glass, add ice and fill with cranberry juice and give it to the missus. Girls love it. Morph it into Sex on the Beach by mixing equal parts orange and cranberry juice.
  7. Take the juice of 8 pints of best bitter - leave to settle at room temperature for about 5 mins - strain carefully through teeth and consume over about 2hrs. Well, it works for me...!
  8. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

A Woo Woo, a ******* Woo Woo, I swear to god if I did not appreciate your irreverant puckish humour I would hunt you down and bludgeon you to death with a puffin.

1824 Flip
    Flips have been served both in the hot and cold varieties for centuries; most often a combination of rum, beer egg and sugar mixed in a pewter mug and heated by plunging a red-hot poker into the concoction. Since there is no longer a handy surfeit of roaring fires available to heat your pokers in, bartender *persec* pared the drink back to its basic constituents of rum, sugar and egg to create a satisfyingly and lightly spiced drink.
    · 2 shots (50ml/ 1½ oz) Angostura 1824
    · ¾ shot (19ml/ ½ oz) Tangerine or Orange Syrup
    · ¾ shot (19ml/ ½ oz) Hazelnut Syrup
    · 1 whole fresh egg

Add all ingredients to a Boston Glass add ice and shake vigorously. Strain over ice into an Old Fashioned Glass and garnish with grated nutmeg and a dash of Angostura Bitters.

look to my thread for a Sour recipe, works exceptionally with Rum or Brandy and even nicer served hot rather than cold, just omit the ice when shaking and heat over steam.

A mix of Rum, Cream and Old fashioned West Country Perry or Scrumpy is lush, especially warm and spiced with nutmeg, cinammon and all that jazz, sweetened with honey. Heat gently in a pan. Lush

addendum: I often use this product Mackay's Spiced Ginegr preserve or Rhubarb and ginger preserve as a sweetener in my sours.

Or you can try this recipe:

Rum, Ginger and Orange Hot Chocolate (makes 1)

1 cup/glass milk
    1 shot of Rum
    1 Orange
    1-2 Teaspoons Spiced Ginger Preserve
    2 teapons Chocolate Powder

Zest the peel of 1 half orange into the recepticle you are make the drink, do this by holding it over said vessel, the side being zested being into the opening of vesssel, easy to do when you have a big bowl/pan and making masses.
    Add Chocolate powder and preserve
    Add some milk, and stir together to blend
    Add rest of milk and rum stir some more
    Heat gently in pan (if you have access to a coffee steamer wand use a metal mug and steam it hot).

Serve in suitable mug
  9. Winter Pimms. It's a doddle.

Go to booze retail outlet.

Buy bottle of Winter Pimms, read back of bottle.

Buy the apple juice and an orange to put in it.

Go home, warm the Winter Pimms, apple juice and bits of orange in a pan.

Serve to well impressed guests.

Merry Christmas.
  10. This is the first time I have posted on this board and I hope I'm not treated roughly as I bruise easily:) I once read then over time forgot a drink in a comic I read (2000AD). It was called a "Piston Broke" and had among the ingredients Guinness and whisky...does anyone on this board know what else goes in this drink and also how you make it? Also I'd rather not have a pass the salt response ie would whoever knows how to make this drink mind telling me on here? Have a merry Christmas one and all Splundig vur thrigg.
  11. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

5 seconds on Google: Piston Broke Cocktail

2 parts Gin
    2 parts Whisky

( I would recommend 1 shot each of both)

Shake with ice in Boston

Pour into 1/2pint glass or Highball over Ice top with Guiness
  12. Whiskey Mac......whiskey and ginger wine in equal measures. ;-)
  13. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Benny & Hot,

1 good slug of Benedictine
    1 portion of hot water

Add hot water to benedictine.

Favourite WW1 drink in the trenches particularly with the East Lancs Regt.
  14. A Bloated Bag of Monkey Spunk

Equal measures of white rum, peach schnapps, pineapple juice and orange juice, half a measure of grand marnier. Works a treat every time, delicious!

(I found it bizarrely in a bored moment while Googling "monkey spunk" - it really is there, check it for yourselves if you don't believe me!!)

15. We have places where I live, like houses but they have big rooms with bars, the people behind these can make any cocktail you want - try it they are called pubs!

Get out and about and support local business