Decent Wine Recommendations Only.

eodmatt said:
Ventress said:
Any info graftefully recieved.
I had a bottle of MadFish 2006 Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot on a recent Emirates flight which wasnt a bad drop. Mind you it could have been goats piss and I would still have drunk it as I was on my out of Iran.

Many of the cheaper Ffrench wines that are about today taste "thin" and astringent to me. The Ffrench have worked hard to recover their wine growing ability after the disastrous outbeaks of vine virus, but their good wines are now expensive

Australia does some very good red wines and one of my favourites is Jacobs Creek, although the price has gone up a bit since I used to buy it at 4 quid a bottle.
Here is a nifty resource which is worth looking at: http://www.mamashealth.com/wine/austred.asp
And another here: http://www.wolfblass.com/Default.aspx

I drank so much white wine in the 4 years of my second tour of Germany I went off it, however I still do like an occasional bottle of well chilled Sancerre with lobster or those giant prawn things whatever they are called.

When looking at the label of a wine bottle, have a look at the alcohol content. Anything less than 12% you should use for cleaning urinals. Anything more than 14% and the fine flavours can get marred by the alcohol. Here in Vietnam I recently bought a couple of bottles of Van Dalat "black" wine at 16% - wife beater!

All the above are my opinions of course and, like many things, people have diverse opinions on whats good and what aint. The key thing is to try a selection and then buy what you like.

Cheers
A few years ago I did a booze run to get my stocks up for Christmas and to get wine to give out to customers (not the good customers, just the ones who'd given a little business but not much). I found a wine labelled 'blended EC red wine' which was on offer at 3 for a £1 so I bought fifty quid's worth. I had given quite a lot of it out by Christmas Eve and decided to call in at the local bookshop where I used to go and grab a coffee. I gave a bottle each to the two guys who run the shop and prepared to leave. They were delighted with their gift and insisted I stay for a glass as they produced a cork screw and opened the bottle. My face drained as I realised that they were going to discover what a cheapskate I was, right there in front of me! It was nectar! Unbelievable as it may seem it was bloody gorgeous! We drank the two bottles then I fetched a few more from the car and we sat there having a whale of a time! Needless to say I rescued what was left of my stock and didn't give any more out. I've never seen that wine since and can only assume it was made out of several red wine lakes that have long since dried up, pity really, at 0.33p a bottle you couldn't go wrong!

mysteron

LE
Book Reviewer
Markintime said:
The usual criticism of German wines is that they're too sweet, I see you've gone for dry wines so this, presumably, overcomes that argument. How does the Reisling compare to Pinot Grigiot for instance?
MiT - if served correctly (i.e. chilled), frankly they stand up quite well against a Pinot Grigio. You will get the same "screech smile" if they are too warm.

In terms of Value for Money, they are spot on and I don't believe them to be sweet at all. Quite flinty, good fruit and the Auslese has a very light "sparkle" on the tounge (the process does release some CO2 in the bottle after it has been corked - but you can barely sense it).

The thing about German wine is that 99% of the best wines it produces does not leave the Moselle Valley unless you go there and do it yourself. 80% of the 2nd tier does not make it out either with that 20% larger staying inside Germany. Only the chod wines (blends from multiple weinguts) get botled and shifted out for wholesale and are on the same quality as Lambrini/Nasty Spewmante.

Another recommendation, for those who choose to support the "fledgling" (or as I see it - the rebirth) of English Wines, you could do a lot worse than these:

Chapel Down - try the Sparkling Wine

Sharpham Wines - best with light fish (monkfish et al)

Poppy

LE
Sainsbury's had Muriel rioja on offer for about £5 recently - lovely stuff if they have any left

strewth

Old-Salt
Flagrantviolator said:
Roodeberg ( S. Africa) Shiraz. Almost as full bodied as a Cab Sauv. Nice oak, but not overwhelming. Lots of dark fruit. Serve with carpaccio, steak, Bolognese sauce-pasta. Should be decanted for about 30 min. to really open it up. My favorite all-purpose wine.
Compliments on your excellent taste...also add Railroad Red from the same stable.....both exceptional wines Hic!

tigerchef

Clanker
ooooh_matron said:
Chateau Musar. A Lebanese wine which in a good year is magnificent, and in a bad year simply very good.

The head honcho used to de-mine his vineyards as he tended his vines! Nails vintner deserving of wider recognition. 1986 was a glorious year.

http://www.chateaumusar.com.lb/english/home.aspx
Also try their Hochar. A very good wine at aboout £12 a bottle. Chateau Musar will start you off at about £25 a bottle. It is well worth it. Maybe the funiest thing I have ever seen was at last years Wine Expo in London. The people who organise the event put countries together (Spain next to France who are next to Italy and Germany etc...) Now at the Wine Expo they did the same thing, Lebanon next to Israil, next to Syria.... Fantastic.

If anyone would like tickets to this years Expo then PM me and I can sort you out. 24000 bottles of wine to try. Shocking :p

Sancho_Panza

Old-Salt
Majestic have reduced their minimum purchase from twelve to six bottles in-shop purchasing. They have some pretty good deals.

I received a voucher from them for a tenner off my next purchase of fifty quid or more after buying some wine from them over the Christmas period.

Another good one is Chateau Margaux, expensive but lush. Check for the gold medal award on the label though, some years are better than others.

björn

Old-Salt
telecaster said:
Another good one is Chateau Margaux, expensive but lush. Check for the gold medal award on the label though, some years are better than others.
Actually most Margaux are pretty good & you don't end up spending upwards of £300 a bottle.
Giscours, Malescot, Kirwan (any vintage) are all highly recommended.

I found a nice little Macon at Majestic, 'Terroir De Charnay 2008' from Domaine Cordier Pere Et Fils. At £8.99, certainly underpriced and good value for quite a nice wine.

Chateau Neuve du pape with venison very nice

Langudoc reds very nice especially if you go to get them at source

Rowkes Drift is a drinkable little whit hic Western Cape fruity white which I picked up at Victoria Station

Pretty much any Cotes du Rhone 2007. Universally acclaimed vintage and consistently excellent quality. If you're looking for a good, quaffable plonk - Cotes du Rhone 2007 - it's a winner. The 2008 isn't too bad either.

Emsav

RIP
RIP
You could go for something different:

Linky to purchase the wine
Where was that muck found, beside a recalcitrant tractor??? Nothing out of Provance is drinkable except by alcoholics or those that are trying to drown themselves. Try looking for a good White Grenache, a full-bodied Corbières even a good Jurançon (red or white).

Ord_Sgt

RIP
RIP
I hate red wine but am a big lover of white whine, you'd be hard pushed to find a bad Sauvignons Blanc from New Zealand.

I used to avoid red wines until I found South African Pinotage. The best being from Waitrose, but Lidl, Asda and Tesco do a good own brand too. £5-7 a pop. Very drinkable.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Buying wines in supermarkets is a bit of a hit and miss affair, but it can turn up some really special surprises. The best thing to do is to get a little education; do a wine appreciation course and learn to match wine to food and glasses. If you join a wine club like the Sunday Times Wine Club, you will get good recommendations and their sample boxes often contain some real gems. It has taken me a while to get there, but I now firmly believe in quality not quantity. I'd far rather savour an expensive wine one a week than drink plonk every day.

As for recommendations, we are working our way through Margaret River wineries and finding some real gems. The Shiraz are excellent, as are the SSBs. Cape Mentelle is owned by the people behind Cloudy Bay and is excellent. For those recommending Wolf Blass, there is much more to Aussie wine than the big labels.

I love going to wine producing areas for tastings; you always learn something about wine. Not particularly practical in the UK though.

Also try their Hochar. A very good wine at aboout £12 a bottle. Chateau Musar will start you off at about £25 a bottle. It is well worth it. Maybe the funiest thing I have ever seen was at last years Wine Expo in London. The people who organise the event put countries together (Spain next to France who are next to Italy and Germany etc...) Now at the Wine Expo they did the same thing, Lebanon next to Israil, next to Syria.... Fantastic.

If anyone would like tickets to this years Expo then PM me and I can sort you out. 24000 bottles of wine to try. Shocking :p
I first had a hochar on a train heading up to York - utterly mind blowing stuff.

My favourite has to be McGuigans Black label - their Merlot, Chardonnay and GTR are great loves of mine although my Girlfriend loves the Shiraz. Never had a bad one and you can pick them up in the Spar for £7 or on offer for about £5. Their other labels are pretty good too, definitely worth a punt.

Latest Threads