Decent War/ Stratergy Games

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by arty762, Jun 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys , i'm currently playing Panzer Korps Afrika , love the game , can any one suggest any similar style games worth looking out for , also have Panzer General , looking for other games covering allies as well as Germans.
  2. That's a blast from the past. I've got Allied General somewhere. As I recall it was designed for Windows 95, worked on 98 and I found a work-around for Millennium and haven't attempted it on Vista. Enjoyed it, though.

I'm about 4 years into Desert Operations and reckon that I'll be ready for striking out in about another 6 months. It's not a quick game, even less so if you're trying to achieve it without an alliance. Although, knowing what I do, I could have been in a similar position after about 2 years... It's about patience and resisting the urge to break the monotony.
  3. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Steel Panthers and Steel Pantheres MBT - free downloads if you google them.
  4. When I was about 7 I got command and conquer red alert and since then have loved RTS games, I really like C&C red alert 1 and 2, Tiberian sun and the Generals games, they may not be what you were hoping for though.

But I've really taken to Company of Heroes recently, and used to play Code name Panzers Phase 1, which was also a good game, both being WW2 themed.
  5. try out RUSE. made by Ubisoft, they even do a console version.
    set in WW2
    • Like Like x 2
  6. thanks , i had the Command and Conquer series some years ago , also the Microsoft Close Combat series , A Bridge To Far , Eastern Front and Normandy , but misplaced them some years ago . Got Panzer Korps Afrika a week ago off of a friend , there are other scenarios available online but they are bloody expensive, anyone know if the Harpoon series is available and if it will work on a Vista system?
  7. Wargame Airland Battle - recognise any of these:

It is ruthless....

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. "Empire: Total War"

Rebuild the British Empire again and again from scratch - wipe out the French and Spanish colonies, seize all those strategic naval bases (Antigua, Gibraltar, Malta, Alexandria), push johnny foreigner out of the overseas trading hubs, build a navy so powerful that you control the oceans - oh, and hoover up India once they get uppity and start attacking you.

An old game now, but still very fulfilling if you are a typical red-blooded Arrser who doesn't think the the gubmint should be apologising for what our forbears got up to....
    • Like Like x 8
  9. Rawhide (or anyone) What's the AFV between Warrior and Abbot on that picture? No Wah.
  10. Just don't bother with the Falklands, as they'l probably just be a pain in the future.
    And make sure you leave a note for the future to wipe out all the Maoris from New Zealand as they'll also be a headache.
  11. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

the battlezone reboot 1 and 2 are pretty good. you can play 1st person or overwatch it like c&c

c&c are free downloads now.
  12. I wouldn't look at any of them.... What you want (you need steam installed on PC) is Company of Heroes! Set in Western Europe 1944 - 1945. Excellent RTS game. Look up youtube videos of it. If you wait another 3 weeks, the sequel is being released which is set in the Eastern Front.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Well spotted - apparently its a FV434 Falcon:

Based on the Abbot hull, this vehicle had a two man powered turret mounting twin 30 mm Hispano Suiza stabilised cannon with a rate of fire of 1,300 rounds per minute and an effective range of approximately 3,000 metres. The vehicle was an experimental working prototype only. Development was ceased, principally due to insufficient ammunition stowage.

falcon.jpg falcondwg.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Nice one, knew my AFV Recognition was a bit rusty but couldn't PID that one. Cheers.