Decent pub off A1 between Doncaster & Harrogate?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Frogslegs, Jul 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Everyone,
    Coming back to Blighty for a holiday in the Lake District & need somewhere decent to have lunch on the way up - close to the A1 & preferably before Catterick!
    Just want good food, nothing fancy...
    Any ideas welcome as it's been a long time since I went that way!
    Thanks in advance,

Frogslegs

2. Thanks -
    Anything sprog friendly (bit of space to stretch legs without being run over etc...)?

3. Noted, thanks again!

4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Farm shop/cafe on right just before Greta Bridge on A66.

Edit to add.
    Smallways pub/ motel Large beers garden & kid play area about a mile before the above but on a junction & on the left.

5. Thanks very much Jarrod & Oldbaldy -
    Means I won't have the duty driver whinging about the c**p "cuisine anglaise" which he usually does when we go to a m'way service station for lunch! :roll:

Breakfast stop on the Thetford road at the truck stop (bacon butty & NATO standard tea- yum!) & then a decent lunch thanks to ARRSE. :D

Tenner in the ARRSE fund if Frog doesn't complain, £15 if there's a compliment! :lol:

6. Thanks but accommodation sorted - advice on local brews to try would be welcome though... do you get Theakstons there or is there some other local brewery that's worth a try?

7. Just back from holiday & would like to say thanks to all for the advice.
    The winning tip was sent by pm & was just perfect! The place near Rotherham - thanks mate, good address! :clap:
    It elicited a "Not bad" from the Frog 8O
    & a "thank the Brown Jobs for me" from Dad (ex RN) :wink:
    So that's £20 in the ARRSE fund for saving me hours of whingeing about English cuisine!
    "Murky buckets" as they say down here! :D