Decent Podcasts?

The BBC world service podcast "13 minutes to the moon" is superb, head and shoulders above anything else I've listened to.
Agreed. Did you listen to the sequel on Apollo 13?

Done by Angus Wallace - he asks the right questions and gets some great people on the show covering a lot of topics others tend to avoid. Been listening for a couple of years and find it very enjoyable.

He lasted about 30 seconds.
I Started listening to the half track one and he starts off describing the tank. 'In British use they were all slow and seen as support weapons to the infantry. Fuller and Hart suggested fast ones, but it wasn't until Guderian...'
Its like he reached into my head and flicked all the switches that get my back up, and has clearly done bugger all work on the subject.

In other news, I'm giving the Age of Victoria podcast a go. Only got about halfway through the introduction, but the guy's voice is pleasant to listen to and his production quality seems good. He's got a hint of a humorous streak to him as he points out that he's an amateur historian, but Victorians were the age of the amateur launching upon some grand expedition, and somehow avoiding a well deserved Darwin award.

QRK2

LE
He lasted about 30 seconds.
I Started listening to the half track one and he starts off describing the tank. 'In British use they were all slow and seen as support weapons to the infantry. Fuller and Hart suggested fast ones, but it wasn't until Guderian...'
Its like he reached into my head and flicked all the switches that get my back up, and has clearly done bugger all work on the subject.

I am not in the least bit surprised, qv #20. I gave him longer but he comes across as not terribly bright and a sucker for 'received wisdom'. I wouldn't be surprised to find that he was an enthusiastic 'Wikipedian'.

ex_sigs

Old-Salt
Another mans shoes podcast. Getting good reviews and good guests.

Slime

LE
For the last ten days or so I’ve really got into listening to:
The unexplained with Howard hughes.

Its basically a presenter interviewing a mix of people who say they are researchers or experts in:
psychic readings
Aliens
Lizard people
UFOs
Remote viewers.
The paranormal.
NASA.
The Titanic.
MH370

Now, and here’s the reason it’s well worth listening to.............
The show has now been on for over 500 episodes, so if you start listening to it from the very beginning you start off with shows from 2007. This means that you get to listen ‘experts’ who can see the fact of what is going to happen in the future............They know for a fact, they aren’t just making it up or guessing, so it doesn’t take long to realise that show after show the predictions or warnings of what was going to happen ‘for definite’ in the 209-2012 period never ever happens :)

I was listening to a typical episode tonight where it was ‘definite’ that the whole way the world works would change in 2012............this gives a smug ability to say ‘I think you’ll find that never happened..........and the ability to say it show after show :)

Listening to how the guest speak is so much more interesting than what their theories are. They are all the ‘one’ who knows, almost all are also ‘experts’ in a second theory they couldn’t have info on.
Most don’t like to acknowledge other conspiracy theorists, or will ‘own’ the thoughts of another conspiracy theorist by say ‘oh, they are a great friend of mine’ etc.

Just have a listen, it might be a lot more amusing than it’s supposed to be :)

ches

LE
I've gone back to the We Have Ways podasts with Al Murray & James Holland. Its bloody good. I'd forgotten how expansive it was.

wild_moose

War Hero
Agreed. Did you listen to the sequel on Apollo 13?
Superb Podcast - both series are excellent.

I'm offering another vote for History Hit; really good interviewees covering a range of topics some of which I wouldn't necessarily have sought out otherwise (last night's listen was about pirates).

I also enjoyed the Chernobyl podcast that accompanied the TV series but this is obviously a fairly short run

I generally listen to a large amount of podcasts during the week (Easily 2-3 hours a day), so I'm always fishing about for more. Thus I'm after more suggestions.

At current I have the following:
  • We have ways: Pretty much more of this please! I mean both of them get stuff wrong, but its generally hilarious, and goes in interesting directions.
  • History of England: A decent podcast, albeit a bit slow at times.
  • History of Witchcraft: When it's good its very good, however it does have a habit of jumping about all over the place, and the in podcast advert is ******* irritating as there's no warning. Which leads me onto:
  • History of World War Two: Same guy who does the advert in the above podcast, and the same advert is in this one. Which is very annoying. Equally, I'm beginning to question the guy's narrative. Such as repeatedly claiming the US beat Japan, and that Nomonhan was a 'large scale tank battle'. So he's on a warning really, and likely to get binned. Really he's only here at current because I've got bugger all other choices.

I've tried:
  • Pax Britannica: But that's very hit and miss and doesn't seem pull me in as much as I was expecting.
  • Ancient Warfare: The audio quality is shocking on this, and the standard of information is abysmal. First episode, in-between the whine of the noise coming out of my earphones the lead presenter asks one of his co presenters a question about Light infantry. The response was several paragraphs discussing the role of Light infantry, and frequent references to 'They'... which they? Whom are we talking about? Cave men? Persians? Egyptians? WHO?
  • Hardcore History: first five minutes started off with some bloke quoting the dictionary entry for the word Laconic. SKIP.
  • The Anglo-Boer War: Some South African rapidly speaking down the microphone, and hopping about like a Bunny on crack made it difficult to follow. Frequent repetitions of information, and assumption of extensive background knowledge.
  • Revolutions: I tried this one because I was looking for a decent podcast on the ECW, which doesn't seem to exist. This managed to get from the background, to the end of the first ECW in eight episodes. So it was in no way a decent look at the subject. The rest of the series seems to be French and American only.
So with the above in mind, do we have any suggestions?
(I do know of the similar thread, but its a few years old, so hopefully we'll get some new contenders)
50 things that made the modern economy.

TotalBanker

Old-Salt
None of the ones I listen to really match that criteria, but I thought I’d ask. :)

Mine seem to mostly be Sci-fi, Aviation, comedy or modern military study.

If you ever fancy a light hearted off beat comedy podcast I’d recommend ‘The beef and dairy network’ podcast.

For anyone who might like to listen, try starting at episode six or later.
To avoid giving away any spoilers, it’s not a podcast that is actually for farmers.
Hi, re above, do you have any recommendations RE military related or behind the scenes intelligence type podcasts? Clearly nothing sensitive gets broadcast, but ive been listening to Skys Into the Grey Zone, really enjoyed it and was after anything similar to that. Its all about hacking and i suppose you could say non kinetic methods of warfare. Anything dealing with China id be interested in too if you have any recomends inthat area

ETA ideally anything i can get via apple podcasts!

Slime

LE
Hi, re above, do you have any recommendations RE military related or behind the scenes intelligence type podcasts? Clearly nothing sensitive gets broadcast, but ive been listening to Skys Into the Grey Zone, really enjoyed it and was after anything similar to that. Its all about hacking and i suppose you could say non kinetic methods of warfare. Anything dealing with China id be interested in too if you have any recomends inthat area

ETA ideally anything i can get via apple podcasts!
The World of intelligence.
This is by Janes.

The Bellingcat podcast.
They did a good series on the MH17 shootdown.

Angry Planet.
(Used to be called war college)
Varied military subjects, with some pretty interesting pods on some current/recent issues.

Aviation week.
Good aviation podcasts, but with pods covering modern stealth, hypersonic missiles and the future generation US fighter (NGAD).

Latest Threads