Decent Podcasts?

some of his stuff is great, but some of it is...questionable...the last one I listened to was very tinfoil hat in in a pro trump way. left a bad taste in the mouth.

Surely all the tin-foil hat stuff was anti Trump ?

American politics eh?
I generally listen to a large amount of podcasts during the week (Easily 2-3 hours a day), so I'm always fishing about for more. Thus I'm after more suggestions.

At current I have the following:
  • We have ways: Pretty much more of this please! I mean both of them get stuff wrong, but its generally hilarious, and goes in interesting directions.
  • History of England: A decent podcast, albeit a bit slow at times.
  • History of Witchcraft: When it's good its very good, however it does have a habit of jumping about all over the place, and the in podcast advert is ******* irritating as there's no warning. Which leads me onto:
  • History of World War Two: Same guy who does the advert in the above podcast, and the same advert is in this one. Which is very annoying. Equally, I'm beginning to question the guy's narrative. Such as repeatedly claiming the US beat Japan, and that Nomonhan was a 'large scale tank battle'. So he's on a warning really, and likely to get binned. Really he's only here at current because I've got bugger all other choices.

I've tried:
  • Pax Britannica: But that's very hit and miss and doesn't seem pull me in as much as I was expecting.
  • Ancient Warfare: The audio quality is shocking on this, and the standard of information is abysmal. First episode, in-between the whine of the noise coming out of my earphones the lead presenter asks one of his co presenters a question about Light infantry. The response was several paragraphs discussing the role of Light infantry, and frequent references to 'They'... which they? Whom are we talking about? Cave men? Persians? Egyptians? WHO?
  • Hardcore History: first five minutes started off with some bloke quoting the dictionary entry for the word Laconic. SKIP.
  • The Anglo-Boer War: Some South African rapidly speaking down the microphone, and hopping about like a Bunny on crack made it difficult to follow. Frequent repetitions of information, and assumption of extensive background knowledge.
  • Revolutions: I tried this one because I was looking for a decent podcast on the ECW, which doesn't seem to exist. This managed to get from the background, to the end of the first ECW in eight episodes. So it was in no way a decent look at the subject. The rest of the series seems to be French and American only.
So with the above in mind, do we have any suggestions?
(I do know of the similar thread, but its a few years old, so hopefully we'll get some new contenders)

I liked him as the Pub Landlord more than I do in his 'We have ways. .. ' podcasts

But I do rate his ( and James ) podcast and he mostly gets some quality guests .

He has been bullshited twice by guests by my reckoning and not spotted it.
All the rest innovative, informative and entertaining.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I've enjoyed the History From Home series of talks, they're all available online and ongoing, admittedly you'd miss out on the visual elements of maps etc. but you could always rip them to audio-only.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

I'll definitely be checking that last one out at least

This was a good one. They did Twin Peaks as well.

This is Telegraph Bed of Lies - the story behind the deep cover met police officers who infiltrated left wing activist groups.

Whining Civvy

War Hero
The British History Podcast - Lots of detail and fine until he gets on his own political hobby horse
Absolutely, and that is pretty much word for word the same review that I'd give. He does generally keep his politics out of it, though, and it's well worth listening to even if you aren't a member of his tribe. Steer well clear of his social media accounts though.

Whining Civvy

War Hero
The BBC world service podcast "13 minutes to the moon" is superb, head and shoulders above anything else I've listened to.
"Something True" is very enjoyable, too, lighthearted and entertaining. I think there's only about 12 episodes, which is a shame. This is a good one:

Ruska Pravda

Last edited:

Slime

LE
Do the podcasts need to be history or war related?

QRK2

LE
The BBC world service podcast "13 minutes to the moon" is superb, head and shoulders above anything else I've listened to.
"Something True" is very enjoyable, too, lighthearted and entertaining. I think there's only about 12 episodes, which is a shame. This is a good one:

Ruska Pravda

Better than 13 Minutes (IMHO), or at least as good as, and covers the lot:

Slime

LE
Prefferably history and British is a good indicator for my intrests, although if its done properly (see We have ways) then I'm open to suggestions.

None of the ones I listen to really match that criteria, but I thought I’d ask. :)

Mine seem to mostly be Sci-fi, Aviation, comedy or modern military study.

If you ever fancy a light hearted off beat comedy podcast I’d recommend ‘The beef and dairy network’ podcast.

For anyone who might like to listen, try starting at episode six or later.
To avoid giving away any spoilers, it’s not a podcast that is actually for farmers.

Cruthin1967

Old-Salt
I generally listen to a large amount of podcasts during the week (Easily 2-3 hours a day), so I'm always fishing about for more. Thus I'm after more suggestions.

At current I have the following:
  • We have ways: Pretty much more of this please! I mean both of them get stuff wrong, but its generally hilarious, and goes in interesting directions.
  • History of England: A decent podcast, albeit a bit slow at times.
  • History of Witchcraft: When it's good its very good, however it does have a habit of jumping about all over the place, and the in podcast advert is ******* irritating as there's no warning. Which leads me onto:
  • History of World War Two: Same guy who does the advert in the above podcast, and the same advert is in this one. Which is very annoying. Equally, I'm beginning to question the guy's narrative. Such as repeatedly claiming the US beat Japan, and that Nomonhan was a 'large scale tank battle'. So he's on a warning really, and likely to get binned. Really he's only here at current because I've got bugger all other choices.

I've tried:
  • Pax Britannica: But that's very hit and miss and doesn't seem pull me in as much as I was expecting.
  • Ancient Warfare: The audio quality is shocking on this, and the standard of information is abysmal. First episode, in-between the whine of the noise coming out of my earphones the lead presenter asks one of his co presenters a question about Light infantry. The response was several paragraphs discussing the role of Light infantry, and frequent references to 'They'... which they? Whom are we talking about? Cave men? Persians? Egyptians? WHO?
  • Hardcore History: first five minutes started off with some bloke quoting the dictionary entry for the word Laconic. SKIP.
  • The Anglo-Boer War: Some South African rapidly speaking down the microphone, and hopping about like a Bunny on crack made it difficult to follow. Frequent repetitions of information, and assumption of extensive background knowledge.
  • Revolutions: I tried this one because I was looking for a decent podcast on the ECW, which doesn't seem to exist. This managed to get from the background, to the end of the first ECW in eight episodes. So it was in no way a decent look at the subject. The rest of the series seems to be French and American only.
So with the above in mind, do we have any suggestions?
(I do know of the similar thread, but its a few years old, so hopefully we'll get some new contenders)
Try "The Long View" from BBC sounds. Despite being (a) from Woke Auntie and (b) presented by a Guardian journal it's very balanced and thoughtful. Comparing Extinction Rebellion to Savonarola' Bonfire of the Vanities.

Whilst no exactly a podcast, you can listen to Lindybeige on YouTube often without needing to see the visuals - https://youtube.com/c/lindybeige
He's a lot like that fascinating history teacher some of us had who kept everyone's attention with their enthusiasm and delivery.