Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Decent Podcasts?

I generally listen to a large amount of podcasts during the week (Easily 2-3 hours a day), so I'm always fishing about for more. Thus I'm after more suggestions.

At current I have the following:
  • We have ways: Pretty much more of this please! I mean both of them get stuff wrong, but its generally hilarious, and goes in interesting directions.
  • History of England: A decent podcast, albeit a bit slow at times.
  • History of Witchcraft: When it's good its very good, however it does have a habit of jumping about all over the place, and the in podcast advert is ******* irritating as there's no warning. Which leads me onto:
  • History of World War Two: Same guy who does the advert in the above podcast, and the same advert is in this one. Which is very annoying. Equally, I'm beginning to question the guy's narrative. Such as repeatedly claiming the US beat Japan, and that Nomonhan was a 'large scale tank battle'. So he's on a warning really, and likely to get binned. Really he's only here at current because I've got bugger all other choices.

I've tried:
  • Pax Britannica: But that's very hit and miss and doesn't seem pull me in as much as I was expecting.
  • Ancient Warfare: The audio quality is shocking on this, and the standard of information is abysmal. First episode, in-between the whine of the noise coming out of my earphones the lead presenter asks one of his co presenters a question about Light infantry. The response was several paragraphs discussing the role of Light infantry, and frequent references to 'They'... which they? Whom are we talking about? Cave men? Persians? Egyptians? WHO?
  • Hardcore History: first five minutes started off with some bloke quoting the dictionary entry for the word Laconic. SKIP.
  • The Anglo-Boer War: Some South African rapidly speaking down the microphone, and hopping about like a Bunny on crack made it difficult to follow. Frequent repetitions of information, and assumption of extensive background knowledge.
  • Revolutions: I tried this one because I was looking for a decent podcast on the ECW, which doesn't seem to exist. This managed to get from the background, to the end of the first ECW in eight episodes. So it was in no way a decent look at the subject. The rest of the series seems to be French and American only.
So with the above in mind, do we have any suggestions?
(I do know of the similar thread, but its a few years old, so hopefully we'll get some new contenders)

Resilience Sessions.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Joe Rogan - 3 hour decent interviews with a very wide range of guests

some of his stuff is great, but some of it is...questionable...the last one I listened to was very tinfoil hat in in a pro trump way. left a bad taste in the mouth.

3ToedSloth

War Hero
some of his stuff is great, but some of it is...questionable...the last one I listened to was very tinfoil hat in in a pro trump way. left a bad taste in the mouth.
Agreed. Typically you can tell 5 minutes in if it's not to your taste and you need to skip to the next one. There is a good reason why he got a $100million deal with spotify.

QRK2

LE
Dan Snow's History Hit - A bit hit and miss and he can be an irritating twat but has some good speakers.

The British History Podcast - Lots of detail and fine until he gets on his own political hobby horse

Space Rocket History Podcast - Incredibly detailed at what it covers

We Have Ways of Making You Talk - Al Murray/Julian Holland, sometimes enthusiasm triumphs over accuracy but quite fun.

arfah

LE
I’m enjoying WHWOMYT, too.
Alan & James are quite entertaining and keep the podcast moving, mostly.
I listen mainly for the contributions from other historians and for discussions outside of the usual Second World War chat.

Last edited:

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Have you tried Meagain's podcast on Spotify?

Wetneck

Old-Salt
Done by Angus Wallace - he asks the right questions and gets some great people on the show covering a lot of topics others tend to avoid. Been listening for a couple of years and find it very enjoyable.

QRK2

LE
Combat Dealers Bruce Crompton is doing WW2 podcasts. Sorry I can’t remember the name of it, but no doubt you lot should be able to find it.

Amazing War Stories - The ones I've listened to have been good

Done by Angus Wallace - he asks the right questions and gets some great people on the show covering a lot of topics others tend to avoid. Been listening for a couple of years and find it very enjoyable.

I'm afraid that gave up on him, I just found his ignorance, and resulting inability to challenge some of the doubtful input from a few of his 'guests' too much. Said guests weren't that high quality on occasion, I think he suffered from not having the contact lists and 'pull' of Snow/Murray/Holland or the BBC.

Last edited:

Latest Threads