Decent grounds for appeal?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by DaveyJohn, Sep 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just received a letter from Glencorse telling me me I'm ineligible for military service on medical grounds.
    The reason they've cited is a so called history of asthma and wheezing, however the circumstances surrounding my case make me think this is a bit harsh.
    The crux of it is, I had asthma when I was three. For the next 21 years I had no breathing problems at all until July 2004 when I had a cough and tight chest.
    It was annoying more than anything, I used the usual over the counter medicines but they didn't seem to shift it and I work in a dusty warehouse that aggravated it a bit.
    I didn't think it was necessary to see my doctor, so I called in at end of surgery and spoke to the nurse. She seemed to think this could be asthma returning, triggered by the mild hay fever I sometimes get around July time so gave me a prescription for an inhaler. I thought she was over reacting and never even got the damn thing from the chemist, and sure enough within a few days and a few good coughs later my chest was fine.
    However on my medical form my GP wrote that I'd suffered from asthma in 2004, thus totally screwing up my chances of getting in the Army.
    My fitness is really good, I weight train every day, run over 3 miles daily, regularly play football and i do Muay Thai boxing every weekend, and not even a slight wheeze or problem.
    So taking all this into consideration, do you think i could appeal against this? The rejection letter states nothing about any appeal process, their only advice is to try again in 2008, but as I'm 26 now I've hardly got time on my side.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated cheers.

2. Davey,

Can I suggest that you trawl backa bit through past pages on this forum as the topic of asthma (and appeals) comes up on a regular basis. I suspect that in the last few months the topic has been covered enough to answer your questions without repeating it here. If not then do bring this threa up again.

As this is a recurring theme I shall try and get some expert advice on it and create a 'sticky' thread for future reference. Bear with me as I am away from my normal sources for a while.

Peeby

3. Yeah no worries I've had a look through some past threads and seen that there have been some pretty similar cases to mine.
    My main concern is that i fiercely contest that i suffered from asthma in 2004, the inhaler wasn't prescribed by a GP and the prescription was never cashed in.
    I'll contact my AFCO on Monday and see what they suggest.
    Cheers for your help.

4. I believe, but don't quote me on this, that there are some quite specific tests that the recruiting Occupational Health doctors (Army) carry out to determine whether an individual is truly at risk from asthma.
    I think is involves spirometry testing and other more detailed tests than just a peak flow reading.

Just be aware that a civilian doc might not understand the additional risks of asthma in soldiers (dust, cold nights on Brecon etc.) so best advice would be from someone in the mil eg. Occ Health docs at ATRA . Unfortunately I dont have access to them at the mo.

Just a thought....

5. Ok thanks for the advice.
    I'd be quite happy to have a go at doing any testing because i am 100% confident that i don't suffer from asthma in any form, and haven't since i was 3 years old.
    The only problem I am faced with is convincing them to let me take the tests, the way the letter is worded led me to believe that the decision is final based on the evidence from my GP.
    I'll see what i can get sorted in the coming week.