Decent Gas/Electricity Suppliers?

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
It depends, many factors to consider. This is our forever home so the investment is worth it. We already have solar panels installed and they work from daylight, not sunlight. Obviously, brighter the better but will still work.

Warranty is 10 years with the powerwall, but even then the internal batteries can be changed very easily (effectively AA sized x lots). The wife drives an electric car and if we do get the power walls then I will also get one. Capital costs aside, free electric means free fuel, free heating + cooking, lighting etc etc
I had some Prestige pans with a lifetime guarantee, the company was taken over, needed new handles and knobs.
Guarantee worthless.
You’d need a lot of careful calculations on such a thing and if generating our own power was worth it there’d be no power stations.

@jarrod248

We are looking at getting a log burner / multi fuel burner in the very near future. What's the costs for logs and coal as opposed to the cost for gas.

Bogie_Bear

War Hero
I had some Prestige pans with a lifetime guarantee, the company was taken over, needed new handles and knobs.
Guarantee worthless.
You’d need a lot of careful calculations on such a thing and if generating our own power was worth it there’d be no power stations.
You've got to be able to afford the initial investment - most can't - a chunky five figure sum I would imagine. For those that can, it's certainly something worth thinking about and for a 'forever' home, definitely a game changer.

Currently with so energy. No complaints. On a fixed tariff. £59 pm for 3 bed detached bungalow & we are not frugal. Have @ multi fuel in the living room pay £40 for a large builders bag of logs. 3 of those got us through last winter.

Now British Gas. Would not give them house room, that they are expensive is a given. This time last year my 86 yr old Mum had a problem with her boiler. She was on a plan with BG out they come told her she needed a entire new system, boiler pipes radiators et al then quoted 4.5k for a 2 bed semi diet bungalow.

Having paid 2.5k the year before to have a top end complete system fitted in our bungalow this seemed a tad pricey to me. Add that to the fact my old man had died a couple of months before to say she was whittled was putting it mildly.

Not living locally to my mum I rang around a few local engineers to her & came across one who had good local feedback. He went out the same day put a temporary fix in to get the hot water going, rang me back told me what the issue was quoted me the price & got it sorted within a couple of days. Total price £400.

Nothing wrong with the system just a part on the boiler & system needed flushing.

Since found out through a colleague & former BG engineer they are instructed to up sell at every call.

They are akin to rogue traders imo. Preying on the vulnerable. No better than pikeys.

They are utter bastards.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
You've got to be able to afford the initial investment - most can't - a chunky five figure sum I would imagine. For those that can, it's certainly something worth thinking about and for a 'forever' home, definitely a game changer.
How long does it take to ‘save’, how good is the performance in winter, how do they know if they last ten years if they’ve not been making them ten years.
They’ve said for years that solar isn’t good enough yet.

Bogie_Bear

War Hero
Solar was a great investment on our previous house AT THE TIME however things didn't quite pan out. We bought the system at 7k when FIT was 16p however ended up moving a year later - just broke even on the money we spent on the place however it was just one of those life moves. Saying that I beliecvje FIT is now around tuppence so they can stick that one - we would have taken the system with us but the new roof just wasn't suitable.

My mother invested back in 2010 when it was about 50p for FIT - she spent 12k on a system that has paid for itself recently and now everything is pure profit. Defiantly a wise investment back then, not a chance now which is a shame as its a concept I truly believe in

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Solar was a great investment on our previous house AT THE TIME however things didn't quite pan out. We bought the system at 7k when FIT was 16p however ended up moving a year later - just broke even on the money we spent on the place however it was just one of those life moves. Saying that I beliecvje FIT is now around tuppence so they can stick that one - we would have taken the system with us but the new roof just wasn't suitable.

My mother invested back in 2010 when it was about 50p for FIT - she spent 12k on a system that has paid for itself recently and now everything is pure profit. Defiantly a wise investment back then, not a chance now which is a shame as its a concept I truly believe in
Only paid with others taxes, government can change that at a whim.

How long does it take to ‘save’, how good is the performance in winter, how do they know if they last ten years if they’ve not been making them ten years.
They’ve said for years that solar isn’t good enough yet.
On their own solar panels are not the great investment they use to be however if like my house everyone is at work during the day, you then add battery packs to store the energy generated it's a far greater return on your investment. Even more so if you go down the electric car route!

Bogie_Bear

War Hero
Only paid with others taxes, government can change that at a whim.
I appreciate that mate but bearing in mind we invested in this on the promise of 20 years government guaranteed and backed returns, it would lose a bloody lot of votes if they u-turned on it. I believe there's a good 4m homeowners tied in so far - that's a LOT of votes to lose!

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
On their own solar panels are not the great investment they use to be however if like my house everyone is at work during the day, you then add battery packs to store the energy generated it's a far greater return on your investment. Even more so if you go down the electric car route!
I think it’s a big investment and I’d like to see it in action personally.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I appreciate that mate but bearing in mind we invested in this on the promise of 20 years government guaranteed and backed returns, it would lose a bloody lot of votes if they u-turned on it. I believe there's a good 4m homeowners tied in so far - that's a LOT of votes to lose!
Didn’t the free cash err tariffs get reduced?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Ovo Energy.

All online. No people to talk to, saved about £800 based on last year's usage. (Leccy only in second home)

I think it’s a big investment and I’d like to see it in action personally.
There is nothing to see, there are no moving parts! It's a few boxes: Solar inverter and a backup gateway + the actual powerwall.

I guess you could see it in action via the app which shows power generation and power loaded into the batteries but personally I would rather be watching Lobster Tube.

load_fin

Old-Salt
I use comparison sites, and pick the cheapest deal.

So far:

1. isupply - useless customer service (phone & web). I was happy to renew the contract (still lowest price) but they screwed up so I switched to:

2. GBenergy - awesome customer service (web & phone), but they went bust. Co-op took over. Far from the cheapest, so I switched to:

3. Together Energy. Customer service good, still with them.

Incidentally, my FIT is with SSE. Everytime one of the Welsh lovelies answers the phone "Hallo, FIT office" I have visions of her clad in lycra, astride an exercise bike. Awesome customer service (phone only) and a pleasant background image in my mind.

Spacehopper383

War Hero
I've gone with a dual fuel supplier called Tonik. Electric is 14p per KWh with a 19.01p per day standing charge. Gas is 2.74p per KWh with a 22p per day standing charge. I'll let you know if it is swapped correctly from BG.

Latest Threads