Decent Gas/Electricity Suppliers?

I'm in the process of changing my dual fuel supplier. I was with SSE (one of the big boys) for a year or so, but have decided to give a mob called iSupply a go.

I think attitudes are starting to change, but there are still many who never change their energy supplier, allowing the companies every opportunity to take the piss... and they will. There are plenty of newer alternative supply companies (including one GnERGY, which is run, allegedly, by ex-Gurkhas - not necessarily, in itself, a recommendation).

Anyone found a particularly competitive and efficient energy supplier?

Donny

ADC
I haven’t heard of iSupply but smaller companies do seem to be doing well on the price comparison websites this year. I was also with SSE for a couple of years, and nPower for a year before that, but this year it’s a company called 'Iresa'. No, I’d never heard of them either, but they saved me a few quid over SSE so it was worth doing. No problems with readings, bills or direct debits so far.

Next year, who knows?

I use Iresa at the moment for electricity. I think there are some cheaper but their meter readings and contact system are good so will stick with them for the moment. You can sign up with either Compare The Market or Martin's money tips (forgotten which) and they will notify when a transfer is merited , i.e. when you may be able to save one hundred and fifty pounds a year.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I'm in the process of changing my dual fuel supplier. I was with SSE (one of the big boys) for a year or so, but have decided to give a mob called iSupply a go.

I think attitudes are starting to change, but there are still many who never change their energy supplier, allowing the companies every opportunity to take the piss... and they will. There are plenty of newer alternative supply companies (including one GnERGY, which is run, allegedly, by ex-Gurkhas - not necessarily, in itself, a recommendation).

Anyone found a particularly competitive and efficient energy supplier?
Use a comparison site, I'm with Scottish power at present, you need to know your use over past year from current supplier and then put that in one of the sites.

So
Been with Green Star for 2 years. Prior was with British Gas. I now pay around £90 less per quarter with Green Star. Dual fuel, pay on receipt of bill. As Mark says, look at the tariffs. :cool:
We use loads of energy, hot tub, wife with a liberal attitude to the thermostat, etc. Is it truly unlimited?

I have mine fixed but that's per Kilowatt hour. I din't know they did "Unlimited" but probably be a "Fair Use" by the customer. :cool:

Just had a look and it seems okay for a largish hose and family. I pay around £180 quarterly but there's only the Missus and I, two bed flat and we both cook, shower daily, two meals at least daily and fortunate enough to have super insulation and haven't had the heating on for the eight years we lived here. With British Gas the average bill was £250 per quarter, same gaff, so a substantial saving. :cool:

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Just had a look and it seems okay for a largish hose and family. I pay around £180 quarterly but there's only the Missus and I, two bed flat and we both cook, shower daily, two meals at least daily and fortunate enough to have super insulation and haven't had the heating on for the eight years we lived here. With British Gas the average bill was £250 per quarter, same gaff, so a substantial saving. :cool:
British Gas is often the most expensive company anyway. Not using your heating will be a huge difference to someone who does.

Use a comparison site, I'm with Scottish power at present, you need to know your use over past year from current supplier and then put that in one of the sites.
I'm with Scottish Power at the moment. I've also just transferred an old friend of my Dad who is in his middle seventies from British Gas to there.

The transfer was a nightmare with British Gas causing quite a few problems and I did wonder if some of it was a deliberate ploy to try and get an elderly customer to get confused and give up on trying to change suppliers.

Like car insurance, looking around online every year for the best price for your energy needs is definitely the way forward.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I'm with Scottish Power at the moment. I've also just transferred an old friend of my Dad who is in his middle seventies from British Gas to there.

The transfer was a nightmare with British Gas causing quite a few problems and I did wonder if some of it was a deliberate ploy to try and get an elderly customer to get confused and give up on trying to change suppliers.

Like car insurance, looking around online every year for the best price for your energy needs is definitely the way forward.
When you get to the cheapest then the only place it’s going is up.
Best thing I did was having multifuel stove fitted, gas boiler always seem to breakdown in winter and it’s no bother with the fire.
I save all my egg boxes through the year for lighting the fire.

Best thing I did was having multifuel stove fitted, gas boiler always seem to breakdown in winter and it’s no bother with the fire.
Agreed, the way things are going, energy costs are getting ridiculous. I am awaiting some quotes for the Tesla Powerwall, whilst I won't disconnect from the grid, based on 4 x powerwalls I will not normally need to take any electric from the grid.

We are looking at moving down to North Devon in 18 months or so from West London so we aren't going to do any major investment in our current house other than anything that might raise the price of the property but once we end up down there, we will be exploring the best options for heating etc.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
We are looking at moving down to North Devon in 18 months or so from West London so we aren't going to do any major investment in our current house other than anything that might raise the price of the property but once we end up down there, we will be exploring the best options for heating etc.
Coal hasn’t increased in price from my coal man in five years. £16 a sack delivered I think so it cuts down my costs a lot.
Also delivers logs as due to a back injury I can’t carry free ones from my Dad now.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Agreed, the way things are going, energy costs are getting ridiculous. I am awaiting some quotes for the Tesla Powerwall, whilst I won't disconnect from the grid, based on 4 x powerwalls I will not normally need to take any electric from the grid.
That costs how much? Lasts how long? Sun shines how much?

That costs how much? Lasts how long? Sun shines how much?
It depends, many factors to consider. This is our forever home so the investment is worth it. We already have solar panels installed and they work from daylight, not sunlight. Obviously, brighter the better but will still work.

Warranty is 10 years with the powerwall, but even then the internal batteries can be changed very easily (effectively AA sized x lots). The wife drives an electric car and if we do get the power walls then I will also get one. Capital costs aside, free electric means free fuel, free heating + cooking, lighting etc etc

Latest Threads