Decent drinking establishments in London

Discussion in 'Travel' started by björn, Nov 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am returning to the metropolis for a couple of days after an absence of about 15 years (any relation to change of government completely fortuitous) and am staying near tower bridge (near the tube station).
    I am a bit out of touch with the pub scene and would deem it criminal not to attempt to have a decent pint, as opposed to hopping into the nearest crappy hip place.
    Any suggestions of decent pubs in the vicinity (preferably of the traditional gastro enteritis variety, not the gastro trendy nonsense)?
    My apologies in advance if there is an ARRSE guide to London pubs, but couldn't unearth it...
    Thanks in advance.

2. Christmas crawl?

3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Good old-fashioned Pub: the Nell Gwynn, in a dirty alley just off The Strand. THe only food is some rolls at lunchtime, and peanuts of course. Decent Beer, varied clientele, nice Barmaids. Caution: stairs to the bogs are on a par with the Sarah Siddons for falling hazards ,etc.

4. No Christmas crawl sadly Jarrod, it's next week and combined with work...
    Thanks for the suggestion Old Snowy, sounds what I am looking for.

5. Fronty

Fronty Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Gordon's between Charing Cross and Embankment tubes. Lovely place with a huge wine selection and good, honest food.

6. I disagree entirely......not the place to go for a good pint.

7. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Minories will probably be the nearest boozer to where you are staying, it's under the railway bridge and the whole place vibrates every time a train goes over. Decent selection of beers and the scran isn't bad and reasonably priced. In the past it has been well known for it's healthy population of clunge.

Minories, Tower Hill, London, EC3N 1JL - pub details # beerintheevening.com

8. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Gordon's is one of London's oldest Wine Bars.

The clue is in the title........

For beer - most pubs have been taken over and ruined, not many decent ones left. If you are up and thirsty (and hungry) early, try the Cock Tavern, Smithfield. Decent Guinness, BIG cooked breakfasts, lots of flesh. I've often heard say that nothing fills you up in the morning like an hour at the Cock, but that's more Jarrod's area than mine.

The Harp near Charing Cross nick is good at lunchtime for beer and sausages inna bun, and they do a large selection of scrumpies, if your idea of fun is wandering around incontinent and gibbering.

9. Seconded. It's more of a wine bar where guys in need of affairs take their paramours. Deep and dark post 5pm; candlelit corners. A fireofficers wet dream.

10. Absolutely - it is (Or was when I used to go in there) a wine bar. It's actually the oldest in London - est. 1890.

11. Sounds quite interesting.

If it's a pint you're after then head to the Lamb at Leadenhall Market - (EC3V 1LR). The Queen Mother had a pint or two there as did John Wayne (although he got into a punch up). Good ales, however, be prepared to rub shoulders with many Insurance and (less so now poor dears) Ship Brokers.

If it's basic good grub and pints then the George and Vulture, 3 Castle Court EC3V 9DL where my cronies and I used to celebrate St George's day. Another very olde establishment is the The Jam Pot (Jamaican Inn), this is to be found in St. Michaels Alley, off Corn Hill (EC3V 9DS). Next door there used to be a very good Eating House called Simpsons (nothing to do with the tourist trap on the Strand). Diners are stuck on benches by a very strict waitress regardless of whether you are acquainted with your neighbour or not. I once found myself sharing a bottle with David Rowland, then chairman of Lloyds of London.

Cheers!

12. Been there, fondled that.... :)

13. Thank you for your tips i'm afraid next weekend may well be a bit of a blur. I'll look out for you.