Decent distant learning Datacomms MSc

There doesn't appear to be an appropriate thread for this anywhere else, and this seems to be the community that might know.

Are any of you aware of a decent distant learning MSc in datacomms or a closely related subject? I am not so much interested in the programming/coding side of the house, but the technologies in end devices, networks and bearer systems, along with the appropriate planning, monitoring and management tools. I can get a large portion of any fees refunded, either by the UK MoD or NATO.

Having had a trawl online, most of what I find is either tech for other disciplines (Such as managerial grads) and therefore a bit lightweight, or coding heavy.

Grateful for any constructive leads.

BinaryWarfare

Old-Salt
Do the Army still give an annual education grant? I found out about it after about 7 years. It must have been the best kept secret in NATO.

Did you see the one at Sheffield? Bit of coding and programming, not too heavy though: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/eee/pgt/datacoms/structure
Thanks Binary. I had seen that one already. It offers a good variety of subject areas and is just what I am looking for. Unfortunately they only deliver it as an in-house option. As I am Germany based I need to find something like that with a distance learning option.

Many thanks though.

I'm not really sure how this relates to a MSc. I already have CCNP Voice and Routing and Switching. CCIE is not an option as I really can't afford to take the 6-12 months off work I would probably need to meet the standard. Anyway CCIE expires after 2 years whereas a MSc lasts for ever.

In a similar direction, Learning Tree International offer a Masters (A or Sc, I am not sure) but it looks a bit crap.

Why do you need a MSc and not industry qualifications?
I am a guest lecturer on a MSc IT programme, and By the the most of my apprentices have on the job training, a BSc paid for in their spare time, they have 6 years in the MSc students and beat them hands down

Why do you need a MSc and not industry qualifications?
I am a guest lecturer on a MSc IT programme, and By the the most of my apprentices have on the job training, a BSc paid for in their spare time, they have 6 years in the MSc students and beat them hands down

Thanks for your answer. I don't actually need a MSc at all. What I want is to brush up on the academics I received years ago while capitalising on my extensive experience in the business. Additionally promotion in my Comms oriented organisation is a little bit less wrinkly with MSc on your CV rather than industry qualifications (Which most of my peers also have). It's very old-fashioned but they think that an engineering manager/executive needs a higher academic qualification as well as experience and professional quals.

As you can see, I personally value the Cisco certificates and also have ITIL Expert, PRINCE2 Practitioner and a raft of smaller quals and accreditations in my quiver (They were acquired along the way rather than 'collected'). All the same, a MSc would look nice on my office wall.

Latest Threads