Decent campsites in south England?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Cloggie, Jan 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm planning on taking the family on summer holidays to Blithy once more.
    Whilst looking at the map and trawling the internet for some decent campsites through out the south of England (mainly Kent, Hampshire and Dorset) I found it quite hard to judge what a decent campsite is from just the info I got .
    therefor I ask any of you who does some camping if you know a few campsites that are worthwhile a stay.
    For the record; I mean real official campsites,not the pikey infested tarmac in front of your house. :wink:

Thanks in advance!

2. near Corfe Mullen, Dorset.

Haven't been for a year or two, but the people running this place are pretty cool. They've got no issues about you having a discreet fire at night(don't ask, just do and clean up after yourself), it's just a couple of fields, a decent ablutions and a wee shop shed.

None of this little hedgerows dividing you up into tiny housing estates with mains power and satellite hook ups.

Don't go to Merley Court, near Poole, Dorset, because it's all satellite hookups, little hedges, etc and they don't let groups in. We had to tell them we were the local Plod Camping & Caravan Club to get in, who will now be surprised to find they're barred from this site: well, it's people like that who spoil it for everyone else, isn't it?
  3. It's 'Blighty' you dope smoking, same sex loving, wooden shoe wearing freak.

On a more helpful note, anywhere in the New Forest area is the dogs testicles.
  4. Mrs.Cloggie liked it instantly as she mentioned that name also.

I still wonder why... :p
  5. Im so sorry for that 1 letter,you nitpicking pommy! :p
    But I have to agree that anywhere in the New Forest would be good,as I have been there previously,especially near Ringwood( which has a few nice pubs :wink: )
  6. Have a browse through

The site search facility is fairly good.

I can recommend the Club owned sites - largely staffed by volunteers who do it for the benefit of the club (a similar ethos to the Army in many respects, but a lot more laid back).

They also list private sites and "certificated sites" - these are ones that are permitted only a small number of units (it used to be 5, but I'm not sure if it still is), which you won't find advertised elsewhere.

The range of sites cater for all types of camping, from near-luxury to very basic backpacker type stuff.

You don't need to be a member to use the sites - even Club-owned ones - but membership brings other benefits such as reduced site fees. You can also get discounted RAC membership and they have their own travel service that may reduce ferry fares, depending on what deals they and other operators are offering at the time. Members also go camping each weekend in season in county-based groups. In the winter, other activities are organised - rambling, socials and so on.

I was a very active member until I joined the TA, at which point I found other things to occupy the weekends. I'm still a member, even though the tent hasn't been out of the bag for 5 years or so.

It refers to itself as "The Friendly Club" and I can vouch for the accuracy of the statement.
  7. Can I recommend a roundabout on the A1. Its not very quiet but at least you can say you have been on alternative camping holiday....
  8. Anywhere in the New Forest has the added advantage of being within easy striking distance of several quality dogging locations.
  9. The forrestry commision site at Lyndhurst is great, nothing there but a tap and toilet dump, but the deer come right up to you it is a wildlife wonderland but sod all else
  10. I want to thank you all for your input here!
    The places we will be staying at are in Finchampstead-Berkshire, Wareham-Dorset and Marden,Kent
    On the way through I will visit Maiwand Barracks for a night on the p!ss with my XLIX brethren and see if I still can drink Taff and Johnny-no-names under the table.

Beep if you spot a Dutch caravan that says ARRSE.CO.UK on the front and back. :)

Cheers, Clogs
  11. The review section on UK Campsites is pretty good. If it says that a place is a tip then its usually an understatement. CLICK