Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Decent but cheap(ish) motorbike gear

browndog01

Clanker
Hoping for some wisdom from the bikers in here. I’ve just bought a 125 and going to start commuting to work (4 miles, all city). I spent a lot of time on my dads bikes as a kid in ordinary jeans and an armour free wax jacket. My dad is still riding bikes in day to day clothes. My bro rides a bike and has told me to buy the most expensive kit I can afford. Trouble is, I’m cheap!

I’m hoping to sit somewhere between the two, id like to get a jacket for under £100 and decent armoured jeans for a similar price (if not cheaper).

I suspect that at this budget there is probably some very decent stuff, but probably some total shit too. I’m looking for brand recommendations (ideally I want to go and fetch it from a bike shop in Newcastle so I don’t have to wait for delivery).

What brands would you trust to have decent gear at this sort of price?

Thanks in advance!

Can't help on brands as I haven't ridden since I dropped my last bike and promised wifey. Your brother sounds bright, your dad, sounds lucky. You may only be on a 125 doing a few miles but It only takes some biddy with old glasses driving her Micra or some daft young bint on her mobile in her Corsa to pull out and you're custard and jam on the road. My only suggestion is put in as much as you can, make sure the helmet fits and is comfy and whilst you mention jacket and jeans, please, for goodness sake don't forget decent boots and gloves. Tarmac is unforgiving to fingers and toes as I'm sure more knowledgeable and up to date people on here will confirm.

Agreed with Frank Thomas, although also a few years since I was last looking at bike gear. If they’re still around, Hein Gericke were also decent. If you’re commuting you might want to consider cordura rather than leather, saves on having a set of waterproofs too. Get good boots and gloves too. Check out MCN, Bike etc. for reviews.

The Frank thomas stuff I had was pretty rubbish for full price, second hand might be worth a gander.

@browndog01 - whatever you do, don’t buy a second-hand helmet. Get a decent one, that fits. Wear it in the shop for 10 minutes if they’ll let you whilst you look at other stuff to get a feel for it.

I’d go for waterproof textiles (I used to have some cheap RST ones that would withstand anything but monsoon weather) in good nick, and rewaterproof them when you buy, rather than leathers.

Don't buy a second hand helmet. Buy the best 'branded' brand new one you can afford, try them on in the shop as different makes have different sizing's.

Lidl and Aldi some times have in stock motorbike jackets and trousers, boots etc at a reasonable price.

Ask at the motorbike shop if they have any last season kit for sale at a discount, some riders are all the gear and no idea and are very fashion conscious!!!!!

Myself I am still knocking around on the bike in a an old wax cotton jacket, jeans and a WULF SPORT open face trials helmet, and trial boots but I am cheap.

Agreed with Frank Thomas, although also a few years since I was last looking at bike gear. If they’re still around, Hein Gericke were also decent. If you’re commuting you might want to consider cordura rather than leather, saves on having a set of waterproofs too. Get good boots and gloves too. Check out MCN, Bike etc. for reviews.
I think Hein Gericke went bust about 6 years ago.

Can’t help with the discount end of the scale, I’m a brand snob and like me Italian leathers, but any known brand will ok, textile or leather, you’re probably unlikely to be sliding at high speed and needing top end gear to withstand that sort of stress
Be wary of jeans, some have Kevlar sections as a liner, but on impact the non Kevlar bits burst open and leave you unprotected, fully lined or maybe better to get budget leathers
Look into trying a bike safe course, many councils subsides these, and you’ll learn defensive skills that will last a lifetime and keep you out of trouble, excellent info and a bargain in most areas
Lots of second hand gear around too, that way you can go more upscale and someone else takes the hit, any damage will be obvious, but as said, new helmet that fits well
Enjoy it and ride safe mate

K`in ell the softies of today , I had a CB750 at 19 , gear consisted of an ex NCB coal board donkey jacket , ex Bundeswehr boots and combats trousers (because they were cheap and practical) , if it was really cold I`d wear my welding gloves and a bin liner under the jacket........could be why I`m full of aches and pains today :(

I bought this jacket a while back, it's a quality bit of kit. £110.00 from Amazon. I like the retro look, I'd look a right twat in a 'Power Rangers Suit" riding an Enfield Bullit.
93fb2876c6b9fbab0f1bdd6c707cbbbc.jpg

Frank Thomas was dreadful.

Shop around to get your size, then eBay Is your friend here or if you’re buying a bike off someoneone ask if he wants to throw in any kit. Now you can get armoured jeans.

Make sure your lid fits, decent gloves and boots. Unfortunately for you, you missed the fashion high point of biking. NI gloves, Doc Martens, and a white Bell or black AGV.

Good luck. Watch out for anyone wearing a hat while driving.

K`in ell the softies of today , I had a CB750 at 19 , gear consisted of an ex NCB coal board donkey jacket , ex Bundeswehr boots and combats trousers (because they were cheap and practical) , if it was really cold I`d wear my welding gloves and a bin liner under the jacket........could be why I`m full of aches and pains today :(
Snap. Big drawback with the donkey jacket pockets filling up with water. I saved up for yonks and got a Belstaff Trialmaster suit, kept the RN boots, topped it all off with a corduroy cap. Kids today, eh.

Aldi always get good reviews for their kit and I think all new kit has To be CE approved. Another good idea is to get on the larger bike forums and into their for sale sections. there’s a lot more money than sense riders out there who’ll spend a fortune on kit and then flog it as soon as the new range comes out. I bought a pair of Rukka trousers for £100 that were £500 when new. I think Revits a good budget brand.

Can’t help with the discount end of the scale, I’m a brand snob and like me Italian leathers, but any known brand will ok, textile or leather, you’re probably unlikely to be sliding at high speed and needing top end gear to withstand that sort of stress
Be wary of jeans, some have Kevlar sections as a liner, but on impact the non Kevlar bits burst open and leave you unprotected, fully lined or maybe better to get budget leathers
Look into trying a bike safe course, many councils subsides these, and you’ll learn defensive skills that will last a lifetime and keep you out of trouble, excellent info and a bargain in most areas
Lots of second hand gear around too, that way you can go more upscale and someone else takes the hit, any damage will be obvious, but as said, new helmet that fits well
Enjoy it and ride safe mate

Thanks mate. Do you know if you can do a ride safe course before passing full licence? I was looking at one and the website seemed to imply you did it after your test rather than riding on cbt.