decent backpack

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by gun-bunny, Jan 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm going to Peru later this year - trekking in the Andes. And i'm looking for a new backpack to take with me.

I need one that is comfy/easy to carry
    has plenty of extra pockets
    large capacity - approx 80-100L
    preferably waterproof
    possibly a pocket for a camelbak
    and reasonably priced

does anyone know a decent one, and where the cheapest places are to get them from? I'm OTC so don't get MOD90 discount

Cheers, GB

2. The bigger it is, the more you carry
    Waterproof? No - put stuff in plastic bags / dry bags.
    Put the Camelbak inside with the house out the top
    Extra pockets just put the load away from your body making it harder to carry

Go to your local decent outdoor store and try a few on and get advice there - we can't say what is good or not for you as we're all different in size / dimensions. You can always shop around for it once you find the one that fits you best. Oh - remember to try it on with the clothes you'll wear there.

3. loads on ebay

4. I would avoid buying anything on-line without first trying it on for size and comfort as there is nothing worse than an ill fitting backpack when trekking. Get yourself to somewhere like Blacks and try some on. Make sure you take a bag with you with stuff the same weight and size you want to take so that you can choose something that is right for you. you can always try it out in a store and once you've chosen the right pack source it on line for a cheaper buy.

5. You do not need an 80+litre rucksack. I managed 15 months rtw with a 55/60litre (no tent but biggish maggot). If you find you need a bit more capacity you get a 20-25litre daysack and carry that on your chest. Trust me on this... When backpacking you rarely actually need to carry the bag any distance and when on a trek you store the non-essentials in the Hostel/TrekOffice etc.
    p.s. i had a Tatonka which was nigh-on indestructible until it fell of a bus roofrack in Ladakh never to be found, alas (sniff...).

6. cheers guys, i've been to Costwold and tried a few on. Didn't realise just how big 100L was, so i'm aiming for a 60L instead. Berghuas seem to be the comfiest (ladies fit). I'll see what I can find on ebay

7. The Berhaus freeflow daysack range are the business. The largest I've found is 50Litres- ditch anything except vital kit. Attach your sleeping bag and roll matt outside of it. Cost about £70.The real comfort of these backpacks make up for the reduction in available space. They do larger packs without the freeflow feature. Go and try one on and see- buying without seeing if it fits your frame first is a mistake- after all any fool can be uncomfortable! LINKY

8. Typing my last so crossed with your post! You're right on track mate!

9. Agreed. If you want to look like a gypsy on the move, and after a spot of rain or a trek through close woodland have a soaked and torn doss bag.

If hanging stuff off your back was a good idea then you'd still be able to buy handkerchiefs on poles at Milletts. Pack things in dry bags inside the rucksack; if you get a thermarest or other decent sleeping mat that will fit inside as well.

If you can't fit a sleeping bag inside a 60L rucksack then you might want to ask yourself what else is in there and how much you need it.

10. Camelbak Motherlode is an awesome backpack lots of MOLLE attachments for add ons

11. agreed, i don't need to carry that much stuff while i'm trekking. I can leave what i don't need at the hostel. Was wanting a larger rucksack mainly for flying over to Peru - so i'm not turning up with a suitcase

12. In which case get a holdall for travelling(the MOD deployment bag is a good size; North Face or Mountain Equipment also do good ones) and a medium daysack for hiking rather than walking with a huge bag half empty.

13. G-B, as said by K13, have a wander about a few stores, I've always found that the staff in Graham Tisos' know their stuff and most of the staff have the experience of loads of travel. There is one in Glasgow, but i've found the Edinburgh stores offer better advice.

www.tiso.com/uk_shops/edinburghoutdoorexperience

14. gun bunny, is your trek porter-assisted and if not, how much food and other gear will you be carrying? What accommodation will you use on trek? (tents/camping or trekking lodges on the trail?)

If it is an exped, have you requested back-packs through the system?

15. it is porter assisted - they will be carrying food/cooking stuff.
    Sleeping in tents - carrying them ourselves along with medical kit/strechers, any ropes etc we decide to take.
    Yes we can get them through the system, but i'm wanting my own as i intend to do other civvie expeditions as well