Decapping Berdan Cases

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Drlligaf, Mar 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have about 700 7.62 Berdan primed cases which I would like to reload, but there is the small problem of decapping them. I have the RCBS tool which is not really all that good. I reckon that the hydraulic method would be better, however a search of the internet has not revealed any hydraulic decappers. So the first question do any Arrsers know of a dealer who sells such devices?
    Second question concerns this device:
    eGun

Does anyone have any experience of this decapper and is it any good?

PS For a laugh get a load of the highest bidders name.

2. From what I read, hydraulic decapping seems to be done using cobbled together home made tools.

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have the RCBS tool which was necessary for some odd cases I had, with .308 just scrap them or in fact I'll take them as scrap and you can have some cheaply priced once fired target quality brass in part ex!

4. I thought the biggest problem with these was not the de-capping - bad enough - but seating the new primers, where the seating depth was critical. Too deep and BANG!

Wear your eye protection!

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I never had any dramas with it!edited to add I do know of a Kiwi who hurt an eye priming normally so you cant legislate against people doing people things. Worst thing was he is an experienced shooter/reloader and competes at national level! Shallow gene pool methinks!

6. You could certainly buy hydraulic decappers a few years ago - made by Wamadet ISTR. It was basically a steel tube with a primer sized hole in the bottom and a piston.

Put the whole lot in a bucket of water, drop the case on the tube, seat the piston on top and welly it with a lump hammer - instant bukake.

You then had to spend hours reaming the lip out of the primer pockets so you could seat a new primer and annealing the necks so they were soft enough to resize.

With the availability of cheap boxer brass they've probably stopped making them. I certainly don't miss them.

Cheers
    Scratch

7. The WAMADET is the badger if you can find one.. messy but effective.

The "spike" Berdan decapper works a bit like a tin opener, but there is an ever present danger of damaging the anvil - I could never get them to work...

Wamadets are no longer made, although they occasionally turn up. I borrowed one off a mate and copied it - I use it for decapping original .310 cadet cases. It works very well and is surprisingly sophisticated in it's design...

Berdan primers are also a bit of a 'mare to get hold off, even if you visit RG with deep pockets..

Best do what Ugly says; scrap em and get some proper Boxer cases... not worth the grief for 7.62

8. Being here in Germany where the things are made, it's a bit easier to get them. I have found a supplier who charges € 34.00 per thousand, which is only a tad more expensive than Boxer at around € 32.00 per thousand. I know that its a bummer trying to decap them, but the thought of ditching 700 cases just goes against the grain. As an aside I can still vividly remember as an impoverished young airman I even reloaded 2Z, and I still have the decapping tool. Bad habits just don't die.

9. That's why I havent weighed in over 100kg of .303 and 7.62 brass that I'm still sitting on. The 303 is all boxer too...... :/